Author Topic: Linseed oil and gloves  (Read 1161 times)

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
Linseed oil and gloves
« on: March 30, 2021, 11:49:27 am »
I have bought some linseed oil to use on wood. I have looked online to see how to apply it and every place I look says to always use gloves as you don't want to get oil on your hands.

Q1: Does anyone know why I don't ever want to get oil on my hands?

Q2: Does this apply to all oils, some oils or just linseed oil?

Re: Linseed oil and gloves
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:54:48 am »
Linseed oil is not toxic, it’s even edible. For wood, it often comes as boiled linseed oil which can contain some hazardous chemicals.

I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:08:50 pm »
I would use gloves with boiled linseed oil which has additives (chemical driers) to make it cure faster.

Raw linseed oil might be OK without gloves, but I would still use gloves.

Food grade linseed oil is often sold as flaxseed oil.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 12:12:29 pm »
I thought the danger of linseed oil was that it dries exothermically, so you need to be careful with the disposal of materials used to apply it, and not just chuck a linseed-soaked rag in a pile of wood scraps at clocking-off time (cf. construction site fires passim).

Dunno if it's exothermic enough to cause burns.  It's probably a potential allergen and mildly carcinogenic, but so is everything.

ETA: Plenty of safety datasheets online, and they all look like the standard "wear gloves and don't get it in your eyes" advice that they give when they can't bring themselves to say "mostly harmless".

Also note that this sort of advice is written in the context of prolonged exposure in a professional setting.  It could just be that it (or the cleaning required to remove it) dries the skin to the point of cracking if you're handling it every day.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 12:13:54 pm »
Definitely gloves for other "oils", eg danish, teak, worktop, finishing etc as they're a mixture of oils, resins, solvents and additives.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »
Even without gloves, there's no need to get your hands covered and soaked in oil.

Slathering it on with bare hands seems to de rigueur on Youtube, I'm not sure why.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 12:41:25 pm »
I never bothered with, nor suffered from, using raw linseed to oil my cricket bats.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 12:59:13 pm »

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 01:00:36 pm »
I'd use gloves because it is a pig to wash off your hands and when it 'cures', the result is a sticky wax that is even harder to remove.

Much easier to just wear some marigolds and not have to spend so long washing hands.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 01:48:12 pm »

Note, linseed oil, as in the oil from flax seeds, in it's raw state is entirely safe, edible, non toxic (for normal values of exposure).

Linseed as a finish is usually in the form of Boiled Linseed Oil, or BLO. BLO, if made the traditional way of boiling it, is a polymerisation process, that allows it to form a durable surface on the wood. Made naturally by simply boiling oil, it's relatively easy to make, the problem is the flash point, and the boiling point are very close, only a few degrees apart, which makes it dangerous.

Off the shelf Boiled Linseed Oil does not always contain actually boiled linseed oil. In many cases they use polymeriser additives, so they don't have to boil the oil, which is of course safer for those manufacturing it. This is generally ok for most uses, but it does mean that it may be toxic, as you don't know what the additives are. This is probably why gloves are advised.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 01:56:08 pm »
If you eat Vogel Soya and Linseed bread, linseeds sometimes fall out of your bottom.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 02:51:25 pm »
Morgan Blue products are largely based on Flax oil - hence the blue in the title. It’s in embrocation s etc. . As others have said above, in its pure form it’s edible.
Of tangential interest, Museeuw frames included flax fibres with the carbon fibres .

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 05:17:55 pm »
... it may be toxic, as you don't know what the additives are. This is probably why gloves are advised.

Great advice and suggestions all round. Thank you.

quixoticgeek probably summed up in the quote what I should be thinking. Google Translate says I have bought, "a mixture of modified linseed oil, tung oil and fatty acid esters."

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 05:25:57 pm »
I vaguely remember some sort of linseed oil boiled sweets back in the 70s. Am I imagining this?

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 05:35:30 pm »
I vaguely remember some sort of linseed oil boiled sweets back in the 70s. Am I imagining this?
From my favourite sweet shop:

https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/victory-v

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Hot Flatus

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 05:40:48 pm »
Ah, now I remember those well. Yes, it's probably Victory Vs I was thinking of. I bought some last year and they weren't as nice as I remembered. Think I just got used to the harder stuff (Fisherman's Friends) and Victory Vs can't cut it anymore.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:51 pm »
^^ This is true.

There were competing factions at school arguing whether Victory V's or Fisherman's Friends were hotter.  Quite bizarre. If you'll forgive the crude expression, choosing Victory V's in that war is like taking a fart to a shit fight.

For Norwegians, and people whose taste buds have been so ravaged by Covid that nothing triggers them any more, there are salted liquorice FF's.  Having eaten Norwegian salted liquorice once, it is probably what slugs taste like after you've killed them with Saxa and left them to dry in the sun.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 07:50:26 pm »
Didn't Victory Vs used to have chloroform or ether or something in them?

I found some aniseed FF drops in the Netherlands 2 years ago. I know aniseed is more controversial than genocide for some people but to me it's like an almost holy pairing. Just a shame that in Dutch they are called Anus drops.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 09:39:04 pm »
Aniseed balls were one of my favourites.

If you ever visit Bewdley, there's a proper old-fashioned sweet shop right by the river.  They've got the lot.  I couldn't see white mice so I asked. 

"White, pink, or mixed?"  :thumbsup:

Hot Flatus

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 09:54:55 pm »
I know the shop, I think. I truanted from the Elenith one year and went to Bewdley and ate sweets instead.

My aunt had a sweet shop, when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, also tobacconists next door. It had been in family since the 20s and not changed. I think my dad was born in a room upstairs. Dark, with the scent of chocolate, walls covered with jar upon jar, swirls of bars of continental chocolate, trays of truffles. Sugar mice obvs.

It was great, but not as good as going in the tobacconists and finding the drawer full of defective lighters.  I used to set up a pipe lighter on the floor and then get a can of butane lighter fuel and flame thrower the room. Things you do when you are 8.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 12:31:46 am »
This Unit recommends:

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Hot Flatus

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 06:23:01 am »

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 11:31:37 am »
Used to sail on the once ubiquitous Thames Barges.

Their 3000 square feet of canvas was made of flax coated in red ochre coloured linseed and who knows what else.  It had a lovely smell but after a weekend handling the sails I was coated in the stuff.  The ropes were also natural fibre, some protected with tar and the winches were greased liberally.  No one ever wore gloves.  Health and safety was the stuff of science fiction.

I'd imagine everything is synthetic now, really bad for the planet.
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 08:57:42 pm »

Their 3000 square feet of canvas was made of flax coated in red ochre coloured linseed and who knows what else.  It had a lovely smell but after a weekend handling the sails I was coated in the stuff.  The ropes were also natural fibre, some protected with tar and the winches were greased liberally.  No one ever wore gloves.  Health and safety was the stuff of science fiction.

Asterix, are you immortal?

Hot Flatus

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 09:04:25 pm »

Asterix, are you immortal?