Author Topic: The somewhat unwritten laws of cycling...  (Read 10408 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: The somewhat unwritten laws of cycling...
« Reply #25 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:04:11 am »
You'll have a head wind on the way out. And again on the way back.

^^^ This.  Commonly referred to as 'an  againsterly'

« Reply #26 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:11:49 am »
Don't The Rules say that there's no such thing as a tailwind. It's either a headwind. or you're going well.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:20:30 am »
No matter how much research you do. The oh so desirius n+1 becomes available the day you ride n for the first time.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #28 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:20:34 am »
The more unusual the colour you choose for a respray, the more likely is is to be the commonest the following year.

« Reply #29 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:41:54 am »
No matter how much research you do. The oh so desirius n+1 becomes available the day you ride n for the first time.
Also true for Garmins and power pedals, IM recent E

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:50:48 am »
Climbing is earning, descending is spending. Wind is income tax.

Have you ever considered becoming a The Chancellor of the Exchequer?

;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #31 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:56:29 am »
If you see a cyclist ahead up a hill you’ll most likely speed up and try and catch and pass them just before the top.  You’ll then think of some reason to stop or turn off before they can pass again. In your head you’ve won a race. Your heart rate tells the truth.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #32 on: 02 April, 2021, 01:23:32 pm »
Climbing is earning, descending is spending. Wind is income tax.

;)

If only I knew how.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #33 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:34:33 pm »
Anywhere with the word 'down' in its name is, in fact, up.
Downdinner Hill Whitby.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #34 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:38:53 pm »
 ;)

If only I knew how.
Ignorance of subject has never been a barrier to important Government positions.*

*[wishes I was joking]
The Tile Collector

« Reply #35 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:39:12 pm »
In fear of pursuit
I press on into the wind
Quietly weeping
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #36 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:48:25 pm »
Expanding on a theme already started up thread: all long rides are 20km too far*.

*A respectful nod to Tail End Charlie for espousing this particular wisdom to me on one of the audaxes that we rode together.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #37 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:55:19 am »
If you see a cyclist ahead up a hill you’ll most likely speed up and try and catch them...

Then, just as you catch them, they turn off, or stop, and you think sh*t!

« Reply #38 on: 03 April, 2021, 03:42:36 pm »
Your current favourite bike will be cast aside and gather dust when you buy your new favourite bike.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #39 on: 03 April, 2021, 03:45:28 pm »
Your current favourite bike will be cast aside and gather dust when you buy your new favourite bike.

Alas yes. My old warhorse reposes on the turbo these days, and the odd spider has found the front wheel and the bottle cages.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #40 on: 04 April, 2021, 05:23:03 pm »
People hate getting overtaken on hills by someone they consider to be too old, unsuitably dressed, looks less fit than they consider themselves to be, on a bike they think should be slower etc etc.

« Reply #41 on: 04 April, 2021, 05:25:00 pm »
Just make sure to smile and say hello as you pass, then everything will be ok.

« Reply #42 on: 04 April, 2021, 05:40:19 pm »
People hate getting overtaken on hills by someone they consider to be too old, unsuitably dressed, looks less fit than they consider themselves to be, on a bike they think should be slower etc etc.

Phil, do you KNOW this, or are you just hoping?!

« Reply #43 on: 04 April, 2021, 09:31:50 pm »

If my experience of overtaking riders uphill when on my Brompton or Recumbent is anything to go by I KNOW this.  I had to listen to some verbal diarrhoea this week when, on my recumbent, I overtook a roadie on a 11% hill. Something about overtaking them on that THING, how was it possible etc. Luckily didn’t have to listen long as I pulled away.

When you are on an unconventional bike you get to hear a lot of preconceptions.  People see the bike and not the rider when making judgements on relative performance.

« Reply #44 on: 04 April, 2021, 11:27:39 pm »
I'm sorry if that's a regular occurrence.  But if it is, take heart that you regularly pass people!  It's true, however, that some people say the oddest things.  I was once passed in The Lakes by some bloke rehearsing for the Fred Whitton suffer-fest.  He was on a carbo-frame and I was on a hire-bike and he said, as he passed, "I wish I had your gears" which was pleasant enough but I had to resist the temptation to retort, "I wish I was your age, instead of 40 years older," which would have been the politer alternative to "You've just passed me, you don't need my ******* gears!"  But I still think it's better for my peace of mind and general enjoyment not to rise to it!

All the best.

Peter

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 05 April, 2021, 12:32:26 am »

Slogging up the Cauberg in bottom gear and wondering if I should just give up and walk, Oma and Opa pass me. In my head I swear loudly. Then as they start to pull away I notice the tell tale battery packs on the rear rack. Phew.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #46 on: 05 April, 2021, 12:54:42 am »

If my experience of overtaking riders uphill when on my Brompton or Recumbent is anything to go by I KNOW this.  I had to listen to some verbal diarrhoea this week when, on my recumbent, I overtook a roadie on a 11% hill. Something about overtaking them on that THING, how was it possible etc. Luckily didn’t have to listen long as I pulled away.

When you are on an unconventional bike you get to hear a lot of preconceptions.  People see the bike and not the rider when making judgements on relative performance.

The really galling thing is making fine progress on the flat on your laid-back machine before falling away as soon the road finds a Cotswold or Down to go up.  And then watching the equally laid-back Tigerrr otp overtaking swarms of uprights on the ascent, as happened to me and Von Broad on the Marlborough Connection.  The git.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #47 on: 05 April, 2021, 09:39:34 am »

Very true.  5 years ago I climbed Mont Ventoux on my modified Bickerton (conventional bars + Brompton wheels & 8 speed SA hub).  I overtook quite a few carbon bikes with puffing riders who muttered a few things.   Some did then (slowly) overtake me, just to make a point. 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #48 on: 11 April, 2021, 09:30:22 am »
Very true.  5 years ago I climbed Mont Ventoux on my modified Bickerton (conventional bars + Brompton wheels & 8 speed SA hub).  I overtook quite a few carbon bikes with puffing riders who muttered a few things.   Some did then (slowly) overtake me, just to make a point.

In my fitter days, I rode the Etape du Tour (Gap - Alpe D'Huez) on my Audax bike -  complete with steel frame, mudguards and a rear rack as I had cycled to the start with panniers -  and took great pleasure in climbing, albeit slowly, past pipe cleaner-thin continentals walking their featherweight bling machines up the Col D'Izoard and the Alpe itself  :smug:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #49 on: 11 April, 2021, 09:47:51 am »
Anywhere with the word 'down' in its name is, in fact, up.
While places called “Mount Pleasant” are generally a bit tatty and on a small rise.

Also, I only seem to notice them while cycling.