Author Topic: SPD shoes - flat inside sole  (Read 2381 times)

SPD shoes - flat inside sole
« on: 06 April, 2021, 12:16:45 pm »
I've got Shimano SPD road shoes - and they are horrible. They have the same fit as a welly, and reinforcement on the sole causes a horrible pain on long rides.

So I'm looking for alternatives.

What's the problem? If you remove the insole, you can see the sole is reinforced with vertical bracing triangles: Much the same as roofing trusses: After a 100km you can clearly feel these through the insole, it feels like walking on lego with thick socks.

I have 3 cleat shimano road shoes which are lovely - they have a much better fit and a flat bottom. But I hate road cleats. On london roads, my treking SPD pedals mean I always get away from lights fast, even if I didn't clip in first time: Plus road cleats don't float enough for me, neither do they release as easily as I want, and they don't shrug off mud when I pop into the bushes for a pee.

So I'm asking for a favour - if you have SPD shoes, do you mind taking the insole out and seeing if the sole is flat?

Thank you kindly...

Re: SPD shoes - flat inside sole
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2021, 12:31:08 pm »
My Lake SPD shoes also have a flat inside but the insole is very rigid and contoured.  P'raps try some superfeet insoles?

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2021, 12:34:34 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion - I do use insoles for running and love them: But they aren't reinforced on the balls of my feet which is where the 'lego' digs in.

Lakes are good shoes - good to know they are flat inside: I'll check them out.

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2021, 12:43:53 pm »
I use lake shoes, and Superfeet carbon insoles.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2021, 02:56:45 pm »
I've been using these for the last three years and love them. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe?g=0

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2021, 03:13:27 pm »
I've been using these for the last three years and love them. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe?g=0

Can I ask a favour? Would you mind pulling the insole out and looking at the base of the shoe? Is it flat - or does it have vertical bracing?

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:30:57 pm »
My Shimano RT82 have ridges along and across the centre of the shoe (running lengthways).

My Specialized bg comp have flat soles beneath the insole, but are a bit heavy for road use.

My Bont Riots (3 bolt road clear only, but may be useful) have flat soles beneath the insoles and you can form them by heating in the oven and squishing the soles to fit your foot.

My De Marchi Superpista cycling shoes have flat bottoms, but are for pedals with toeclips.

No wonder Mrs S complains about the number of shoes on the top shelf in the utility room!! It has taken a few years to acquire that collection.

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:56:54 pm »
Brilliant - thank you for taking the time to do that.

I feel a little bit like the princess and the pea - but the pain is not very pleasant and makes longer rides harder than they need to be.

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2021, 09:19:42 pm »

Can I ask a favour? Would you mind pulling the insole out and looking at the base of the shoe? Is it flat - or does it have vertical bracing?

They are perfectly normal like any other shoe. No weird bracing.  :)

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2021, 10:26:46 pm »
Great - thanks Ian. I'll add them to the list to check. :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:12:46 pm »
I have always had problems with my feet so therefore wanted to get a good pair of SPD shoes for my cycling and ended up with Sidi Dragon's which have been very good indeed if a little expensive.

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:25:01 pm »
Thanks - the Sidi's do look very good, and my Sidi motorbike boots were the best fitting things I have ever put on my feet: They were rubbish at being warm, waterproof and robust! But the fit was incredible.

I've ordered a set of the dhb's and I'll see how they feel after 100km - the Shimano wellies were fine up to that point, then the lego stamping got painful on climbs.

« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2021, 11:07:30 pm »
I had a pair of the waffle shoes. Exactly your problem on the mille cymru... solution? Blu tack and sat outside the shop filling the holes. Used them like that for some time.

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2021, 11:10:19 pm »
Silicone sealant might also work to fill the indents.

« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2021, 09:17:32 pm »
Alas the DHB's were much too narrow. I'm going to send them back.

Looking around - it looks like wide feet really limit cycling shoe choice. So I've ordered some Sidi Dragon Mega's (4mm wider for each size) and fingers crossed, they fit.

I feel like Imelda Marcos

« Reply #15 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:08:46 am »
Brilliant - thank you for taking the time to do that.

I feel a little bit like the princess and the pea - but the pain is not very pleasant and makes longer rides harder than they need to be.

Shimano made the least comfortable bike shoes I have ever had.  The Lidl replacements were far better. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 10 April, 2021, 01:08:49 pm »
I'm using Shimano SPD sandals.
Bloody comfy they are.
I can't seem to locate the insole though. ;D
often lost.

« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2021, 09:48:02 pm »
Thread update. The sidi's mega dragon <blah blah> are fab. Stupidly expensive - but fab.

They had their first longer ride this weekend and no feet problems at all.

Please let them last many years and miles!

« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2021, 05:00:04 pm »
I'm currently using some Muddyfox shoes from Sports direct for audax. They are flat under the insoles and I've found them comfy enough. Did the last PBP in them. 

https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-mtb100-mens-cycling-shoes-144012#colcode=14401203
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #19 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:06:47 am »
Mavic Cyclo Tour 14.  Insole is contoured front to back & side to side, sole below that is contoured front to back but flat side to side.

Not a bad shoe but a bit narrow. Robust, with a Contagrip sole like my old walking boots had.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #20 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:39:40 am »
Thank you all - I should also add I have wide feet. Which limited the choice more than trying to avoid waffle soles (what are you thinking Shimano!).

Another longer ride this weekend with much steeper hills - and zero feet issues: Phew. Problem solved for now.