Author Topic: Today's scam...  (Read 16200 times)

Re: Today's scam...
« Reply #50 on: 19 April, 2021, 10:50:57 am »
'Press 1 if I didn't order the iphone being dispatched from Amazon to me...' 

Every few weeks I remind my mother about not responding/giving out any details; she gets mostly BT & Amazon related scams.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:06:54 pm »
They all lie about who they're working for now.  I've had "Aviva", "Domestic & General Insurance", and "HMRC" recently. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #52 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:09:21 pm »
I don't use FB, but it's generally 2FA isn't it?
More WTF and FFS in my experience.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 19 April, 2021, 08:01:39 pm »
This is… um… ah… Charles calling about your domestic applia <CLICK>

Look pal, if you have to think that hard about what you’re pretending your name is then maybe you should consider getting a job that doesn’t involve lying, m'kay.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 19 April, 2021, 08:12:03 pm »
If I can be bothered, I ask which accident. That usually breaks the script.
Or you could tell them that you're still suffering from concussion and can't remember the accident,
but ask them to remind you of it.
That's a good tactic. I've been known to say "Yes, it was a fatality. Well, we made it look like an accident... "
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

« Reply #55 on: 24 April, 2021, 06:27:30 am »
Text from Hermes telling me I had a missed delivery and I need to go to their website to pay a fee.  Yeah right.  I see the Hermes van every day.

« Reply #56 on: 24 April, 2021, 09:58:41 am »
If I can be bothered, I ask which accident. That usually breaks the script.
That's roughly my tactic too.

"Which one ?
"Huh?"
"I've had several in the last few months. If you can tell me which accident then that will help me. What date ?"

That generally ends it.
Rust never sleeps

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #57 on: 24 April, 2021, 10:09:22 am »
I have thought about talking about the crash that I was in, but its a few years ago now and saying that dozens were killed might end the script prematurely...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #58 on: 24 April, 2021, 06:01:41 pm »
From yesterday, cross-posted in ctl-alt-delete:

From 0121 428 0116.

This number doesn't take incoming calls.

Voice-activated software waits for me to say 'Hello'. After a brief wait (and noise in the background) Jane, from Virgin Media, (in a very strong south asian accent) hesitantly asked me how I was. I told her that I was still suffering from concussion. There was a silence (as I don't think she was expecting that from her script). Another few seconds and then the automated message: "The other person has cleared".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #59 on: 24 April, 2021, 06:47:36 pm »
I've adopted a policy that if I don't recognise the number displayed, I answer the call with silence. After a few seconds, I get the engaged signal.

That seems to be working increasingly frequently.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #60 on: 24 April, 2021, 08:17:02 pm »
Using BT Callminder I don’t even have to bother answering as the calls never get through.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #61 on: 24 April, 2021, 11:55:29 pm »
I've adopted a policy that if I don't recognise the number displayed, I answer the call with silence. After a few seconds, I get the engaged signal.

That seems to be working increasingly frequently.

Silence is the best way, yes.

I'm struggling to educate other occupiers of the house not to parrot the phone number like we used to in the last century, but instead just to wait.

The extraordinary thing about all the phone scams is that the phone networks must have the information and tech to stop them.  I imagine they make too much money out of the scams...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #62 on: 24 April, 2021, 11:58:02 pm »
Unless I'm expecting a call I don't even answer unknown numbers. I do Google them just in case mind.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #63 on: 26 April, 2021, 09:27:18 am »
Same here. The only ones I answer on the mobile, the latest twist is to use what look like mobile numbers, so I'm starting to ignore any that don't appear in my contacts. But anyway, I just hang up immediately (one the other day launched right into a spiel about 'authorizing a transaction on Amazon' yeah)

It does seem to be out of control at the moment and facilitated by the networks.

« Reply #64 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:36:32 am »
I had a text at silly o'clock from Hermes, stating that I to pay £1.49 to release a parcel they were holding,
and that if I didn't pay, it'd returned to the sender. Hmmm, I'm not expecting a parcel; and anyway, when
ordering online, you generally pay for postage when ordering your goods (if it's required).

« Reply #65 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:42:55 am »
I’ve started to amuse myself in recent times telling them we need to go through security and then asking them what my full name , date of birth and password is. The scripts don’t seem able to cope with that.

A

« Reply #66 on: 26 April, 2021, 01:30:47 pm »
I had a few recently that come from my actual phone number apart from the last two digits, which must be entirely fake.

Yesterday I got one from DHL that asked me to visit a URL on the charmingly named puddingbarcelona.com. That appears to be a legit coffee shop whose main site (Wordpress!) is still up but the hackers have commandeered /dhl/.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2021, 02:31:31 pm »
I really should pay may tax bill.  Apparently a criminal  case has been registered in my name for tax evasion.  ::-)

"You'll never take me alive", I hollered.

Didn't seem to fit the script.   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2021, 03:18:50 pm »
Another attempted phishing attempt. He said he was from the Energy Advisory Board for "this area".

01202 794764

If you phone the number it will be answered by an automated voice, stating that they are doing market research and may call again, but will refrain from doing so if you.......(wait for it, wait for it)..... Press 1. Don't do it.

« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2021, 05:32:40 pm »
I asked today's scammer what an IP address was, and further asked that he explain it in terms a simple chap could understand.

It didn't take him long to give up.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #70 on: 03 May, 2021, 03:48:54 pm »
Scams are going txt. Two in a week or so claiming dodgy log ins to my bank account. One just a minute ago from Santander. I don't have a Santander account. Though banks official comms are sometimes so phishy that they probably would include a link to click!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #71 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:19:10 pm »
This is… um… ah… Charles calling about your domestic applia <CLICK>

Look pal, if you have to think that hard about what you’re pretending your name is then maybe you should consider getting a job that doesn’t involve lying, m'kay.
I had one of them today. Standard combination of Indian speech (not just accent, but word choice, etc.) & British name - which he struggled to remember. Doh!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #72 on: 05 May, 2021, 08:44:01 am »
Phone calls ended about 2 weeks ago, after a period of 2-3 weeks, where I got call from mobile numbers 2-3 times a day. I gave up answering them, since they weren't in my address book or left a message and then the calls finally stopped.

I used to say "I must have banned my head so hard that I can't remember the accident" that normally got them to hang up.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #73 on: 06 May, 2021, 03:34:55 pm »
Using BT Callminder I don’t even have to bother answering as the calls never get through.

Am I correct in thinking that BT Callminder doesn't block nuisance calls from BT?

For some time after moving here and getting our never before been used, ex-directory landline number, we had loads of nuisance calls, all from BT...  If they keep records, they should know that phoning me is a dangerous pastime, considering I have repeatedly informed them I consider them to be lying, cheating ripoff scumbags of the worst order.
Wombat

« Reply #74 on: 06 May, 2021, 03:59:51 pm »
Tbh I don’t know (it’s called Call Guardian now actually) but we’ve not had anything get through that isn’t in our contacts list. The phone should have a “block” button on it, so if you get another that gets through, just press that in the call. We’re not with BT for the landline, we just use the BT branded phones with call guardian on. Oh, and I’m pretty sure you can just as easily block after the fact from the calls menu.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)