Author Topic: County Cricket Championship 2021  (Read 7986 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
County Cricket Championship 2021
« on: 10 April, 2021, 11:10:26 am »
Essex have begun the defence of their title (which of course wasn't contested last year) with an impressive 490-9 dec v Worcs, and Westley, the Essex captain, notching up 213. Worcestershire have been reduced to 43-4.

From what I can gather, the County Championship has been reduced to a 10-match sideshow to all the important 20-20 stuff that cricketers have to play these days. The 18 first class counties have been divided into 3 groups and there is some means of breaking ties so that a later stage can be played. Whether that means that those counties who don't reach the later stages play only 5 first class games a year, I don't know.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: County Cricket Championship 2021
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:52:29 pm »
I see that Yorkshire's match has been snowed off :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2021, 09:00:40 pm »
There is always the chance of a very rare event - 1000 runs before the end of May - as there are 7 county championship matches before the end of May, and there's already a few who have got 200 runs to their name. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:36:55 pm »
Worcestershire fought back superbly against Essex, from 43-4 to 350-6.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2021, 06:06:17 pm »
And Worcestershire drew with Essex! Great result for them, looking at the state of play half-way through the match.

And Alistair Cook was the only player in the match to lose his wicket twice. That hasn't happened very often.

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2021, 02:20:26 pm »
Essek v Durham  Hail stopped play! Essex 81 - 8 after a collapse worthy of a team with 3 England batsmen in it.  Still, fat lady and all that.....

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:12:56 pm »
Well, Durham have a lead of about 50, with two wickets left.  Luckily our (English) captain scored a century - the rest were even worse than Essex.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:17:26 pm »
I wonder whether there will be questions about the wicket. It should be OK this early in the season. But well done Borthwick!

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:28:18 am »
Yes, I suppose questions will be asked, as they were in India.  But I tend to think that's more a problem for broadcasters and spectators weho are "cheated" out of their moneysworth.  Both teams are playing on the same pitch and we're still only on day one!  As you half-imply, I don't think Borthwick will be complaining.  But the fat lady is still only at the gargle.  I wouldn't put it past Cook to make a double hundred tomorrow!  After 3 innings(es), I think he averages 2.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:32:56 pm »
Some years ago Essex were deprived of the championship, and it went to Worcestershire, after they had points docked because of a low-scoring game at Southchurch Park, Southend. I always felt that that was rather unfair as that ground wasn't under the control of the ECCC, but Southend Borough Council, and it was only used for first class cricket one week a year.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Southchurch wicket: in 1948, the Australians scored 721 runs in a day on it.

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2021, 04:16:02 pm »
Some years ago Essex were deprived of the championship, and it went to Worcestershire, after they had points docked because of a low-scoring game at Southchurch Park, Southend. I always felt that that was rather unfair as that ground wasn't under the control of the ECCC, but Southend Borough Council, and it was only used for first class cricket one week a year.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Southchurch wicket: in 1948, the Australians scored 721 runs in a day on it.

To take your logic, every county would put the ground under the nominal ownership of a 3rd party company and then claim its not their responsibility that wicket is crap - ergo no county could ever be held accountable for the crap pitches.

A more sensible approach is taken though and a County are responsible for their choice of venue to host a game. If County don't do necessary checks and mon itoring to ensure the venue is up to standard, then they deserve to be punished

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2021, 04:53:33 pm »
Good fightback by Essex to make a proper game of it and scotch moans about the pitch.  But I think Durham/South Africa 2nds should get home ok.

Hmmmm.  Not so sure.  Durham have effortlessly reached 0 but are already 2 wickets down.  Proper game!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2021, 06:30:16 pm »
It is a proper game! I reckon if Essex can take a couple of quick wickets, they will be favourites. 48/3 at the moment.

« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2021, 12:46:34 pm »
Never in doubt :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2021, 02:34:04 pm »
Proper game, indeed!  Well done Essex!  Bobb, as you belatedly opined, the result is rarely in doubt when Durham are playing but I dared to hope!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2021, 09:11:58 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO49954

WTAF?

Since when have batsmen been renamed as potential pancakes or Yorkshire puddings?

« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:22:21 am »

WTAF?

Since when have batsmen been renamed as potential pancakes or Yorkshire puddings?
Since the women started getting more coverage.

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2021, 10:27:01 am »

WTAF?

Since the women started getting more coverage.

Also since the hundred decided that it would be "batter" rather than "batsman" and "outs" rather than "wickets". Expect scores to be broadcast as "100 for 3 outs" rather than "100 for 3 wickets" apparently this is easier to understand for the less familiar audience.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2021, 10:55:54 am »
What next, relabelling the player who delivers the ball in the general direction of the “batter” as “the pitcher”?

We of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party will, on seizing power, track down these people, batter them and coat them in pitch.  And feathers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2021, 11:49:59 am »
"Batter" is fine for purposes of gender neutrality, but "Outs" can fuck right off. I shall write a strongly worded letter if I ever see that....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2021, 08:21:54 pm »
What next, relabelling the player who delivers the ball in the general direction of the “batter” as “the pitcher”?

We of the Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party will, on seizing power, track down these people, batter them and coat them in pitch.  And feathers.

I think you should seriously consider registering the DRBP at the Electoral Commission.

A couple of good wins already. Essex v Warks is nicely poised. Essex have 1 wicket left and are ahead by 224. I always think that anything in excess of 200 is a tall order for a 4th innings. For much of the afternoon it looked as though Warks would be chasing rather less.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 25 April, 2021, 06:11:52 pm »
Well, Warks have had a brilliant day: 5 needed to win with 7 wickets left. 251-3 batting last is most impressive.

« Reply #22 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:38:56 pm »
And Durham have "thrown away" another game from a winning position.  Well done Derbyshire.  Bedingham (one of Durham's South Africans) is the competition's highest scorer so far but he might well be regretting his decision to be based in the cold pole of cricket if Durham don't start capitalising on his ability.

« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2021, 09:09:20 pm »
Bobb and Wow - Lancashire have a TE Bailey playing for them, this season!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #24 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:14:36 pm »
Bobb and Wow - Lancashire have a TE Bailey playing for them, this season!

Born in Preston!