Author Topic: County Cricket Championship 2021  (Read 7987 times)

Re: County Cricket Championship 2021
« Reply #25 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:50:55 pm »
Good Lord!  He'll be qualified for South Africa in no time!

« Reply #26 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:20:49 pm »
Been a tad moist today  from an Essex POV that's probably a good thing although I don't know if they can get an lead with the seven remaining wickets tomorrow and not leave enough time for it to be chased down

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 08 May, 2021, 11:20:33 pm »
Suddenly Essex seem to have become quite mediocre. That the second time in a few weeks they've been all out in double figures.

In their first innings, Extras was 3rd top scorer with 9. Browne seems pretty good, having scored exactly alf of Essex 228 runs to date, and he's still there in the second innings. Shame he didn't carry his bat in the first.

As you say, the rain has helped them. They might be able to hold on or a draw.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 09 May, 2021, 12:45:44 am »
Suddenly Essex seem to have become quite mediocre. That the second time in a few weeks they've been all out in double figures.

Don't give up: if I remember correctly (which is by no means certain), the first time, they ended up beating Durham,

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #29 on: 09 May, 2021, 11:51:17 pm »
Well, Essex were comprehensively thrashed in that game. Well done Notts!

« Reply #30 on: 10 May, 2021, 12:35:50 am »
Yes, I'm afraid so.  Notts did it without Broad, too, I think.  A fine all round performance from a young Englishman, Lyndon James, backed up by a South African bowler - now, there's a surprise!  Essex have Ten Doeschate, of course, but it wasn't to be on this occasion.

« Reply #31 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:35:59 am »
Unless something extraordinary happens Essex V Derbyshire will be a draw. Todays likely to be the only day  of play

« Reply #32 on: 14 May, 2021, 06:45:26 pm »
Well Essex are having a go. Weather forecast for tomorrow isndire but may be some play Sunday morning

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2021, 07:43:59 pm »
They got enough play today to have Derbyshire following on, but have taken only 1 second innings wicket. Tomorrow looks like a difficult day for both sides: coming in and out all the time does nothing for batsmen's concentration, but of course Essex are likely to lose a lot of time to a wet outfield.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #34 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:13:48 pm »
That's an impressive win by Essex: they only lost 3 wickets in their innings and then beat Derbyshire by an innings and 15 runs.

« Reply #35 on: 16 May, 2021, 08:35:41 pm »
Yes.  It puts them ahead of Durham, who have a game in hand.  But it's fine that Essex are top because they beat Durham in impressive style earlier in the season (I think).  Stat of the day (or a far longer period) is that Rushworth, who had match figures of 9-for, broke the Durham record for wickets taken, with 531.  The record used to belong to Graham Onions, another great bowler who hasn't troubled the England selectors often.  Wood and Stokes, who do get picked for England are either unavailable or injured (or in court) for most of the time that Rushworth has been playing.  And to think that Rushworth was sacked as a 19-year-old by Durham.  Not surprisng that he was in tears today.  Well done.

On a side issue, we didn't need too much input from South Africa this time, thanks partly to a century from Young - who is a New Zealander.

« Reply #36 on: 21 May, 2021, 04:21:11 pm »
Not much cricket today because of rain.  However, Darren Stevens of Kent managed 190 off 149 balls and inincluded 15 (15) sixes in it.  He's 45, an age when most of us couldn't even see the bowler approaching.  Well done, that man! 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #37 on: 21 May, 2021, 06:46:14 pm »
Astonishing, wasn't it? If I've read the scorecard correctly he came in when the score was 80 for 5 and was 9th many out on 294 - so his 190 was from a total of 214 scored while he was at the wicket - an innings truly of Richardsian proportions!

« Reply #38 on: 21 May, 2021, 06:51:01 pm »
Yes and I think his partner played a Jack-Leachian innings of a run every 50 balls, or something.  Terrific stuff!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #39 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:19:32 pm »
You can watch it all here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnMSqoHbotg

Very windy to judge from how the camera is shaking about.

If anyone hasn't realised, all county championship cricket is now live on youtube, and available afterwards.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #40 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:35:55 pm »
Thanks, J!

« Reply #41 on: 22 May, 2021, 07:41:13 am »
And live coverage is in Essex CC case on their website

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #42 on: 22 May, 2021, 09:07:59 am »
Yes and I think his partner played a Jack-Leachian innings of a run every 50 balls, or something.  Terrific stuff!
I have just read that the 9th wicket partnership was 166, in which his partner scored 1 to his 165. The source (Graun) stated that it was the most one-sided 3-figure partnership in county championship history.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #43 on: 22 May, 2021, 09:13:37 am »
Unlike Jack Leach, he got his single at the start of his innings. And as soon as Stevens was out, he immediately hit a 4. Apparently Cummins has a reputation as a big hitter. From what I saw Glamorgan persisted in bowling wide to him, so he didn't have to play many of the balls he faced, and he showed admirable patience in leaving them.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #44 on: 22 May, 2021, 01:46:04 pm »
Yes.  I took your info. and watched for a short while on yer tube:  was amazed at how persistently wide (without being called so) the Glamorgan bowling was.  Stevens must have sensed that the only way he could be out was caught or run out and as 150 of his 190 came in boundaries, there wasn't much danger of run out, so that left "caught".  Swing away!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #45 on: 22 May, 2021, 06:25:46 pm »
There is talk on the Essex live stream about declarations, bearing in mind the loss of time due to rain in the current matches. Essex have a small 1st innings lead (30-odd) and there's a suggestion that they might declare when they get to 200, as that gets them an extra bonus point. Apparently it is frowned upon to declare just to deprive your opponents of a bowling point - Essex are 8 wickets down and Warks will get another bowling point on the fall of the 9th wicket. I was unaware that this was a Thing and deprecated.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #46 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:34:10 pm »
Essex v Durham again. 16 wickets fell on the first day. Essex lead by 120-odd.

« Reply #47 on: 27 May, 2021, 11:38:51 pm »
Durham need a leaf out of Essex's playbook and a mirror image of their last match!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #48 on: 28 May, 2021, 02:35:12 pm »
Another 9 wickets have fallen today. I wonder if the wicket is a bit suspect?

« Reply #49 on: 28 May, 2021, 04:20:13 pm »
I doubt if Durham will complain!  Not only is it their groundsman but they seem to find it easy enough to lose wickets, while Essex are struggling to do so!