Author Topic: i'm thinking about starting a topic later  (Read 4440 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: i'm thinking about starting a topic later
« Reply #50 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:20:34 pm »
Yeah, any fule kno it was a Toblerone she used.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:24:23 pm »
It's not true but, like Noddy Holder and the glass-topped coffee table, or, <insert name of any outrÄ— pop star from 1950 onwards> and the four pints of <insert animal species> body fluids, the legend has taken on a life of its own.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #52 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:39:12 pm »
I had to google Noddy Holder and the Glass Topped Coffee Table. I, of one, am glad for the coffee table in that scene and that it predates video evidence, I'm still getting over those two girls and their shared dessert preference. We're back with chocolate though.

I once bought a 4.5 kg Toblerone from Basel airport, you'd need a big garage to store that.

The best thing about Basel airport, other than oversized chocolate bars, was the 'task a satellite' Chloe from 24-themed pinball machine. Who's the star now, Kiefer, eh? I'd hazard no Swiss airports ever featured a Jack Bauer pinball machine.

rogerzilla

« Reply #53 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »
The "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" pinball table is my favourite.  When you lose a ball, she says, "oh poo".

citoyen

« Reply #54 on: 27 April, 2021, 03:52:35 pm »
The "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" pinball table is my favourite.  When you lose a ball, she says, "oh poo".

Blimey, that's a blast from the past - we had that one in the staff canteen at the old Co-op hypermarket in Broadstairs c.1990 (long since demolished to make way for an even bigger Tesco megahypersuperstore).

rogerzilla

« Reply #55 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:01:45 pm »
There have been three, Google tells me.  The one I played in the IoM when there on business, and later at work (before a new chief exec removed it in 2007, the killjoy) was Scared Stiff, the middle one.

citoyen

« Reply #56 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:20:10 pm »
I must be misremembering - I just looked it up and it seems the only Elvira pinball machine that existed in 1990 was Elvira and the Party Monsters, but the pictures of the playing field don't look at all familiar.

Might have been some kind of knock-off Elvira lookalike (random vampy bird with massive tits). Or the Wednesday Addams "All grown up now" edition.

(PS what I have learned today: there is an internet pinball database website)

« Reply #57 on: 27 April, 2021, 07:47:25 pm »
Whatever the topic, I will be able to find a dogging angle fairly easily to derail the thread.

Is that a particular type of tool?

Would it help Ian to screw in his element?
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #58 on: 27 April, 2021, 08:27:09 pm »
I must be misremembering - I just looked it up and it seems the only Elvira pinball machine that existed in 1990 was Elvira and the Party Monsters, but the pictures of the playing field don't look at all familiar.

Might have been some kind of knock-off Elvira lookalike (random vampy bird with massive tits). Or the Wednesday Addams "All grown up now" edition.

(PS what I have learned today: there is an internet pinball database website)

I'm now disappointed to find that the 24-themed pinball machine was not exclusively Chloe, but more generic, and Jack gets prime billing. In my mind, it was a lot more Chloe. Still, when you've a beer in one hand and an oversized Toblerone tightly clutched in the other, imagination can get the better of you. I still, to this day every time I can't find something, demand of my beleaguered and long suffering-wife 'task a satellite, Clare' (if I called her Chloe, it would be odd, as it's not her name). Also, whenever she asks what I'm up to in my office I say 'hacking CTU.' I'm not entirely sure she knows what a CTU is.

Weirdly, I'm sure I wrote this reply already, but evidently I didn't.

Maybe I should create an anti-topic, a topic that collects together things that haven't. I've long wondered what happens to the letters that you type before you realise you've not selected the word processor window. Where do they go, do they drift off into orbit like lonely Laikas, never to be retrieved? Or are they assembling into furious sentences, battalions of paragraphs, and regiments of chapters? Waiting for their opportunity to invade.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 27 April, 2021, 09:24:58 pm »
An anti-topic is what happens when a indecisive squirrel attacks its hoard: a bite in every hazelnut.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.