Author Topic: Between frame sizes  (Read 562 times)

Between frame sizes
« on: 23 April, 2021, 06:21:56 pm »
Hi folks,
It's been ages since I purchased a new bike and here's my dilemna...
My current bike is an old Specialized S-Works roubaix 58cm frame and fits ace...
I'm toying with buying a kinesis titanium frame and the size guide indicates a XXL is indicated as I'm 6' 2''
So, I'm between sizes... Do I go for an XL which is similar to what I cycle now or a XXL as indicated by the size guide.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc most welcome. (I'm so far out from a Kinesis dealer)

Cheers, Doo
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Between frame sizes
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2021, 06:31:42 pm »
Personally, in that position, I would err on the smaller side. You can adjust upwards by fitting a slightly longer stem if necessary.

Not always so easy to adjust downwards if your frame is too big.

ETA: the key measurements to look for in the spec are stack and reach. “Frame size” isn’t always helpful.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
Re: Between frame sizes
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2021, 06:50:03 pm »
What's wrong with the SWorks Roubaix?

I've found the geometry to be slightly longer and taller than my other bikes, so quite possibly the sizing guide is correct.

Reasonably Inconsiderate

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2021, 06:52:32 pm »
Get the smaller, always

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:16:22 pm »
Have you had a play on this?
https://geometrygeeks.bike/

If you like what you have now, I'd choose the closest, though there's a few things that can catch you out, so you do need care to ensure you are comparing like with like.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:30:31 pm »

What’s wrong with n+1? ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:39:27 pm »

What’s wrong with n+1? ;)

Nothing, if you want to downgrade ;)
Reasonably Inconsiderate

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:59:09 pm »
Hi Doo, I would look at measuring the length of the wheelbase on your current bike &  not to go any shorter, wheelbase is important for comfort & handling if you're a taller guy. Smaller frames have shorter top tubes & less wheelbase, OK you can use a longer stem/seat post & even shove the seat back but the bike will feel more lively & less comfortable plus you'll look too big for your bike, Kinesis frames have fairly long chainstays & decent a fork rake, most manufacturers have their geometry available.

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2021, 10:06:29 pm »
Hi Doo, I would look at measuring the length of the wheelbase on your current bike &  not to go any shorter, wheelbase is important for comfort & handling if you're a taller guy. Smaller frames have shorter top tubes & less wheelbase, OK you can use a longer stem/seat post & even shove the seat back but the bike will feel more lively & less comfortable plus you'll look too big for your bike, Kinesis frames have fairly long chainstays & decent a fork rake, most manufacturers have their geometry available.

My Aithein has 405mm stays and 43mm fork rake;)

On the sizing front, I’m 185cm (short 6’ 1”) so fall between L and XL for most. I tend to size down because my inside leg is 88cm (34.5”) so shorter body... The Aithein is XL/59cm, is long and quite tall so I use a -17 degree 90mm stem with a 10mm spacer to get the fit I want. On a large I would use a 110mm 6 degree stem, and possibly fewer spacers.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:31:42 am »
Thanks All,

Nothing 'wrong' with the roubaix - I love it. It's just that it's very old and I want a bike now that can fit wider tyres and has disc brakes.

Thanks for all the responses

Doo:)
I dunno why anybody's doing this!