Author Topic: Laser printer colour  (Read 1354 times)

Laser printer colour
« on: 25 April, 2021, 09:34:14 am »
I'm looking to buy one of these sub £300 to create some labels for my honey. I've looked at reviews and thought hmm thats looks ok then seen the Amazon reviews and thought these just don't marry up so possibly paid for reviews initially. anyway suggestions for a good model please?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Laser printer colour
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2021, 09:52:00 am »
The key with Colour Laser printers is now (like inkjets) the cost of replacing the toner. I'd take a stab at the toner replacement for the machine you are looking at at about £600.

I don't think there's many ways round that, non OEM toner can be hit and miss.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:19:48 am »
Have a look at Brother colour lasers. The HL-L3230CDW c£200, and a set of genuine Brother toner (4 cartridges) is £300. The printers do “run out” using a (reasonable) page count, but if you google there’s instructions on how to reset it and keep going. I’ve reset mine (a different multi-function model) twice and it’s still printing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2021, 11:07:14 am »
I got a Lexmark printer after the guy pointed out that it would carry on printing if one of the toners was empty.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2021, 11:11:11 am »
I'm looking to buy one of these sub £300 to create some labels for my honey. I've looked at reviews and thought hmm thats looks ok then seen the Amazon reviews and thought these just don't marry up so possibly paid for reviews initially. anyway suggestions for a good model please?

PH

Unless your labels need to customised I'd suggest outsourcing the job to an online printing company like Print24 . . .  very low cost, very fast delivery and very small quantities are possible.   No capital cost, no running costs. 

I have an ancient HP Colour Laser which is great BUT if I need more than a few copies I send to Print24 as it's cheaper than the toner!

ian

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2021, 09:32:54 am »
I'd go with outsourcing, there are loads of print and copy places (online and offline), they have professional equipment and can produce labels to size.

Home printing is expensive and labels will be laborious.

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:38:06 am »
It does depend what you want in terms of labels. We use Word to produce labels. We use the Avery ready sized labels. You simply tell word what size you are using, create your label and print. We used to print a sheet on cheap A4 and check before doing the proper labels but I do not think we even do that now.

We run off all Christmas card and birthday card address labels like this and my wife does them for activity bags at church. We also do individual ones for patient notes.

I would not buy a colour printer specifically for the job. Good quality inkjet will do fine. We do all ours on 4 colour HP officejet but it clearly depends on how many you are turning out.

I reckon on a decent inkjet you could turn out several hundred Jar size labels in 30 minutes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2021, 12:02:58 pm »
Inkjet isn't ideal for labels that will get wet thobut, as anything brought out of the fridge will from condensation.  Or wiped down due to stickiness.

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2021, 12:37:10 pm »
Inkjet isn't ideal for labels that will get wet thobut, as anything brought out of the fridge will from condensation.  Or wiped down due to stickiness.
Sure but with the right labels I believe even that is less of a problem https://uk.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-gloss-inkjet-labels?src=fp-180
The advert even says for honey!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2021, 01:12:00 pm »
Sure but with the right labels I believe even that is less of a problem https://uk.onlinelabels.com/materials/weatherproof-gloss-inkjet-labels?src=fp-180
The advert even says for honey!

Can't argue with that!