Author Topic: Show me your handlebar extensions  (Read 2599 times)

Show me your handlebar extensions
« on: 29 April, 2021, 08:07:26 am »
Currently  I am using a  pair of clip on tribars, which although comfy do take up a lot of space. Would anyone like to share their set-up please?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Show me your handlebar extensions
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:39:24 pm »

It's a pair of Profile Designs T2+, I got them for €20 out the misc parts bin at the back of my LBS. They came with the blue bar tape attached. They also had plastic arm rests, which degraded over time. Profile Designs replaced them with a pair of metal rests, which are much better, tho sharp on the corners. I have then added a pair of €10 mtb bar ends from Decathlon. I really like this shape. I had to drill out the bar ends to route the di2 cables through them. Since this photo was taken, I've replaced the brake levers with hydraulics, and tidied up the di2 cabling. The bar ends are currently just covered with old inner tube. I keep pondering putting bar tape on there... One day...

My setup is unique, and I don't expect it to be ideal for others. But I do like it. The only issue I have is that the left arm rest keeps shifting slightly. A kind forum member sent me some double sided tape to fix this issue, but I'm waiting for things to open up enough that I can get a bike fit done, before I fix the position for good.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Davef

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2021, 05:21:44 pm »

It's a pair of Profile Designs T2+, I got them for €20 out the misc parts bin at the back of my LBS. They came with the blue bar tape attached. They also had plastic arm rests, which degraded over time. Profile Designs replaced them with a pair of metal rests, which are much better, tho sharp on the corners. I have then added a pair of €10 mtb bar ends from Decathlon. I really like this shape. I had to drill out the bar ends to route the di2 cables through them. Since this photo was taken, I've replaced the brake levers with hydraulics, and tidied up the di2 cabling. The bar ends are currently just covered with old inner tube. I keep pondering putting bar tape on there... One day...

My setup is unique, and I don't expect it to be ideal for others. But I do like it. The only issue I have is that the left arm rest keeps shifting slightly. A kind forum member sent me some double sided tape to fix this issue, but I'm waiting for things to open up enough that I can get a bike fit done, before I fix the position for good.

J
They look like copper plumbing pipe ! The clamps look like profile design.

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2021, 09:27:28 pm »
QG Thanks for the info shows a lot of practical fettling deffo something for me to mull over.

Davef

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2021, 09:57:03 pm »

I have same arm rests and brackets (profile design) but J bend bars from Giant.

Davef

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2021, 10:01:11 pm »
They are raised on spacers so that I can also use the normal top of bar riding position

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2021, 10:22:54 pm »

They are not copper. Tho the way the paint wears off over time, does make it look a bit coppery...

J
--

Davef

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2021, 06:32:04 am »

They are not copper. Tho the way the paint wears off over time, does make it look a bit coppery...

J
The red stickers are they original ? What do they say ? I am intrigued by the bars. I realise they are old as I had them from 2006 (when the arm rests were plastic like yours were before they moved to aluminium i think in about 2010). I am wondering whether the bars have been replaced or whether they are some sort of prototype or much older version. I have carbon and “alloy”* ones from 2006 and neither have gone that colour. You also mentioned having to drill them for your di2, so no cable holes ? The 2006 ones were for partial internal routing.

They are my favourite armrests and have changed bikes more than once but unfortunately the double thickness pad seems to be unobtainable now.

* The “alloy” bars are as far as I can see steel because magnets stick to them.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2021, 02:09:23 pm »
The red stickers are they original ? What do they say ? I am intrigued by the bars. I realise they are old as I had them from 2006 (when the arm rests were plastic like yours were before they moved to aluminium i think in about 2010). I am wondering whether the bars have been replaced or whether they are some sort of prototype or much older version. I have carbon and “alloy”* ones from 2006 and neither have gone that colour. You also mentioned having to drill them for your di2, so no cable holes ? The 2006 ones were for partial internal routing.

I have no reason to suspect they aren't original stickers. I just tried a magnet, these aren't steel.

I drilled the mini bar ends that are vertical, not the T2+ aero bars. They have holes in them for routeing cables,  but I don't have the shifters on that part of the bar.

They are my favourite armrests and have changed bikes more than once but unfortunately the double thickness pad seems to be unobtainable now.

Magnets no stick here...

J
--

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2021, 03:21:26 pm »

Arrived at this setup after a few years of different trials.  Profile Design T2+ again (carbon bars) and quite a high setup works well using riser clamp spacers, allowing hand rest space on most of the bar tops (happens to be the right height for the arm pads also  :thumbsup:).

The space lost for attachments on the bars is made up for with an extension bar sitting below and out front for lights.  The Bolt is on its own out-front mount in the centre.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Davef

« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2021, 06:10:39 pm »

I have no reason to suspect they aren't original stickers. I just tried a magnet, these aren't steel.

I drilled the mini bar ends that are vertical, not the T2+ aero bars. They have holes in them for routeing cables,  but I don't have the shifters on that part of the bar.

Magnets no stick here...

J
I was reading that in the beginning the clamps were manufactured for profile design but the various different styles of bar T1...T5 were hand made by the founder in his garage. They were made by cutting and bending 3/4 inch pipe. No mention is made of the material. Maybe they are copper hand crafted by the CEO.

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2021, 06:28:56 pm »
I thought you were joking but you've continued the theme so maybe not - Black anodising often turns a gold/bronze/copper colour, I was told the reason for this but it was too technical for me to remember, something to do with sealing and chemical reactions, nothing to worry about.  It's commonly seen on the struts of Tubus racks.

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2021, 04:17:08 am »
My Profile extensions faded noticeably to a coppery colour after long exposure to the sun while riding across Australia. The bits that were shaded behind the clamps stayed black. It's more pronounced on the left side, which was where the sun was most of the time.

Davef

« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:53:48 am »
My Profile extensions faded noticeably to a coppery colour after long exposure to the sun while riding across Australia. The bits that were shaded behind the clamps stayed black. It's more pronounced on the left side, which was where the sun was most of the time.
Interesting. Did they have red stickers ? I ask because, as with all things, I need to know more. I have been googling away and all the images I have found are still distinctly black and with white logos including this fine vintage set

Davef

« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:55:23 am »
... and then I found an image of some distinctly discoloured ones with red stickers. I wonder if they were experimenting with different processes or materials around I would now guess 2004/5

« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:59:16 pm »

Interesting. Did they have red stickers ?

Yes.  But they have mostly peeled off now.

« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:04:21 am »
Some of these set ups have a military grade look :-)
I can imagine the delight of a Border Force/Customs and Excise official seeing some of these rolling down the ramp just before their tea break!

Davef

« Reply #17 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:13:27 am »
After mentioning above I had inserted spacers so that I could use the bar top for a varied hand position I found this ...

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Profile-Design-Flip-Ergo-50a-Aerobar_235393.htm

It is something I had thought about trying to construct myself.

« Reply #18 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:56:34 am »
After mentioning above I had inserted spacers so that I could use the bar top for a varied hand position I found this ...

I tried those years ago.  Seem like a good idea but for me they were impractical - rattled and shook, didn't feel secure enough when resting your full upper-body weight (especially over rough terrain) and were generally irritating.  In fact they put me off using aero bars altogether for a few years.

I notice they are also about 3 times the price I paid for them at the time  :o

The riser clamps on solid bars allow all the hand space on the tops you need.

The sound of one pannier flapping

Davef

« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:58:36 am »

I tried those years ago.  Seem like a good idea but for me they were impractical - rattled and shook, didn't feel secure enough when resting your full upper-body weight (especially over rough terrain) and were generally irritating.  In fact they put me off using aero bars altogether for a few years.

The riser clamps on solid bars allow all the hand space on the tops you need.
Exactly what I thought (whilst hastily clicking remove from basket)