Author Topic: 700 x 32 slicks  (Read 1816 times)

700 x 32 slicks
« on: 04 May, 2021, 09:24:18 am »
Morning all, a bit of a piece of string question I suppose. I’m looking for the holy grail in 32c slick (ish) tyres, best compromise of p resistance, grip and fast rolling. I’m still on clincher tyres, usage is almost exclusively road. Any suggestions? One I’ve seen is the Bontrager AW3 hard case light, any one had specific experiences they can share?

Thanks in advance

A

Edit; I should have been more specific. I use Marathons during the winter but now looking for something a bit more lively for summer use, with the inevitable compromise on p resistance. Historically I’ve used Michelin pro 4 endurance in 28c but want to increase to 32c for the sake of comfort. A

Re: 700 x 32 slicks
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:49:36 am »
I've just purchased some 700x32s, and went with the Conti GP All Seasons. I think I've had a 28 in them before that worked well - my current tyres are 28 mm GP5000s and they're quite simply puncture central. I'll save them for the TTs in future!

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:53:25 am »
Best compromise is a personal view.  There is no objective answer to that question 😀 Between the best and worst rolling resistance you are looking at perhaps 1/2 mph average at most. Important in a race, otherwise...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:00:04 am »
Marathon Supreme. Used to commute on these every day and loved them. Much lighter and faster than regular Marathons, but still pretty good for puncture protection.

Although I would have to add the caveat that this was a few years ago and they've probably changed them in some way that makes them rubbish now... That seems to be the way it works.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:16:40 am »
Between the best and worst rolling resistance you are looking at perhaps 1/2 mph average at most. Important in a race, otherwise...

Depending on the length of the ride, even a small difference like that could add up to a significant time difference, so I'd say it's important in plenty of other contexts besides racing.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:21:43 am »
Between the best and worst rolling resistance you are looking at perhaps 1/2 mph average at most. Important in a race, otherwise...

Depending on the length of the ride, even a small difference like that could add up to a significant time difference, so I'd say it's important in plenty of other contexts besides racing.

I don’t know about that. After 10 hours of riding on the slower tyres you are still only 5 miles back, so less than 30 mins behind.

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:46:51 am »
Marathon Supreme. Used to commute on these every day and loved them. Much lighter and faster than regular Marathons, but still pretty good for puncture protection.

Although I would have to add the caveat that this was a few years ago and they've probably changed them in some way that makes them rubbish now... That seems to be the way it works.
Also my tyre of choice, they've actually got better with each version, which probably means they're due to be discontinued.
I'd still consider then a lightweight touring tyre rather than a robust road tyre, though the line is blurred.  GP4S comes in 32mm, though they've always been out of stock when I've been looking. I like them in 28mm, though they don't last anything like as long as the Supremes and are not as puncture resistant, my perfect compromise might be GP4S on the front and Supreme on the rear.

« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:36:39 am »
Another vote for both of those tyres - Supreme's and GP4S. They still do Supreme's.

I prefer the supremes on long rides and bad road commutes. They are much faster than other tour or city tyres, fantastically supple, long lived, and I've not had any punctures (touch wood) even though they do most of their miles on London roads, Chiltern flint hills, and the odd gravel bye way.

The GP4S are quicker still but a touch less supple: The grip of the GP4S is astonishing. Wet or dry.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:45:41 am »
Just noticed your edit...

Historically I’ve used Michelin pro 4 endurance in 28c but want to increase to 32c for the sake of comfort.

I'm also a fan of the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance, which I currently have in 28mm on my main audax bike, and if you're looking for something with similar performance but in 32mm, then the Supremes tick all the boxes. I would also agree that GP4S are a good choice, have got on well with those in the past too.

I broadly agree with Lightning Phil - if you're comparing Pro4/Supreme/GP4S to each other, the differences won't be hugely noticeable. However, if you're comparing these three to regular Marathons, the differences will be significant and very noticeable.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2021, 03:59:05 pm »
I'd guess Continental GP5000s would be the reference road tyre at the moment. They go up to 32mm IIRC.

I've never tried them, but I do like to ride 32mm tyres. I found Bontrager R3s interesting in 32mm. I liked how fast and comfortable the ride felt on them.  However, I found the rear especially could be a bit too puncture prone (though I did manage to ride from Carlisle to Thurso without puncturing once! - I still can't work out how compared to their performance before and after).

I've killed the rear now, so I currently have a Bontrager R3 on the front, and a Continental Grand Sport Extra on the back which feels slightly less supple, but considerably more robust.

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2021, 05:26:46 pm »
There is no holy grail.  If you want ride feel/rolling resistance and grip then puncture resistance and tyre longevity will be the price. There is no way around this.

I think you just have to try stuff out guided by recommendations that are qualified.

Davef

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2021, 05:41:05 pm »
I was using GP4000 and 5000 both 28mm before I went tubeless. Now tubeless on everything but TT bike. Main audax bike is 32mm gp5000 tl. Best tyres i have ever had.

« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2021, 07:02:05 am »
Marathon supreme or Voyager Hyper

Check out bicycle rolling resistance site for test figures (although I take the puncture tests with a pinch of salt; he tests the sidewall and tread and mostly I don't get punctures in sidewalls)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:00:19 am »
Thanks for the input

I’ve just seen a deal for Schwalbe one in 700 x 30c, has anybody any specific experience with these? It seems to be more of an out and out performance tyre so I guess sacrifices durability for grip? At £22 a pop is this worth a punt?

A

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:13:42 am »
Yeah, not a great choice if puncture protection is high on your list of needs. They are fast though.

« Reply #15 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:24:50 am »
Thanks for the input

I’ve just seen a deal for Schwalbe one in 700 x 30c, has anybody any specific experience with these? It seems to be more of an out and out performance tyre so I guess sacrifices durability for grip? At £22 a pop is this worth a punt?

A

They are great tyres, but...as you'd expect, not particularly resilient. They do cut easily.

But at that price, and for May-late October riding a no brainer.

« Reply #16 on: 06 May, 2021, 09:11:56 am »
Duckfoot,  Can you share the supplier detail for the Ones please?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: 06 May, 2021, 10:21:26 am »
I have a pair of little used folding supremes in 32mm flavour, languishing in the shed.. 2 visits had in one, one in t'other. small patch on inside as a precaution. I'm now running greenguard, 'as I likes a bit of tread, I does' Going for an undisclosed sum, if they are any use.

« Reply #19 on: 06 May, 2021, 10:22:34 am »
I've got 2 x Panaracer Pasela Protite (32mm) (unused) for sale if you're interested. £20 each +postage.

Will post pictures of the ones I have.

« Reply #20 on: 06 May, 2021, 11:34:46 am »
First ride on the GP 4 Seasons last night went well. A varied hour ranging from dodging pedestrians the sandy promenade, to chasing cars at 30 mph on the urban A35 and Holes Bay Rd.

The tyres did admirably at both, and felt like they'd be comfortable on a nice long audax. Now I just need to test that theory...  :thumbsup: