Author Topic: Funding new roof?  (Read 1674 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Funding new roof?
« on: 04 May, 2021, 08:40:53 pm »
Not what I expected at the moment, especially since I'm still dealing with my weird health issues, and related employment issues.

Anyway, an urgent chap at the front door from my next door neighbour, saying that due to his roof leaking, he is looking to get his replaced, and If I'd be interested in getting mine down as well. It's 1950s ex council houses we are, we are both mid terrace, with a shared roof.   I explained I'd need to think it over.  Meanwhile I got my dearest sister to pop up the loft, to have a look and yes, there is signs of water entry.   :-\

My question is this. Is it likely that I could add on the cost of the new roof £4,000 to £5000 onto my mortgage (Santander), and pay it off over the remaining 15 years?  Has anyone did the same? Or is it a case of borrowing money from Bank of Mum...  :facepalm:

Thoughts / suggestions welcome!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Funding new roof?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2021, 08:53:09 pm »
I think first thing I'd be doing in your situation is getting an opinion from my own tradesperson as to whether it can continue to be repaired reasonably.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

BrianI

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2021, 09:03:02 am »
I think first thing I'd be doing in your situation is getting an opinion from my own tradesperson as to whether it can continue to be repaired reasonably.

Looking at the photos my dearest sister took last night (as I'm to infirm to climb the loft ladders  ???), the technical term I think is "gubbed"

Various areas where the fibreboard is looking waterstained and damp, and is coming away, revealing a rather bad looking felt  liner...

Roof1 by Brian Innes, on Flickr

Roof4 by Brian Innes, on Flickr

Roof5 by Brian Innes, on Flickr

Google street view from around 10 years ago.  hooses by Brian Innes, on Flickr

So probably most effective to do a replacement now, since it's a shared roof between the terraces, rather than doing some sort of patch up, then face a big bill a few years down the line for interior damage as well as a new roof. 

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2021, 09:49:33 am »
You should be able to obtain an additional loan from your mortgage company if there is sufficient equity in the house. There may be a surveyors fee involved.  Interest rates are favourable atm. As above get a quote for repair and compare against the proposed renewal cost. You may simply have some missing/slipped tiles. That flashing looks a bit suspect but may be ok. Not sure what that fibreboard lining is supposed to be doing, as it is is a water sponge. Roofs were often constructed without sarking felt years ago. There are roofing replacement cost calculators on the webbie for guestimation purposes. Not sure what purpose that weird roof light is serving. It looks like a section of the roof at  the  junction/secret valley between the properties  has been replaced at some point. Make sure you use a respectable well known local firm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BrianI

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:05:01 am »
Anyway, an urgent chap at the front door from my next door neighbour, saying that due to his roof leaking, he is looking to get his replaced, and If I'd be interested in getting mine down as well.

I am a victim of a roofer who knocked on my door and I accepted their proposal. In the end I had to get a real company in to repair the roofer's botched work. That experience rings an alarm bell in your sutuation. It is clear your roof needs repairing or replacing. I would talk with the neighbour in person and decide on whether a joint plan is best for both of you and agree to a quote from a reputable roofing company as well as the chap who knocked on your door.

It was my neighbour who knocked at the door, not the roofer.  Ive seen the pics of my neighbours roof that his roofer took, very obvious signs of leaking.

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:10:19 am »
Definitely get another quote to see whether you’ll actually save any money getting it done at the same time, or if the cost/time saving will end up in the pocket of the builder.

Otoh if the neighbour is willing to deal with all the faff it might be worth getting it over with.

BrianI

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:19:35 am »
You should be able to obtain an additional loan from your mortgage company if there is sufficient equity in the house. There may be a surveyors fee involved.  Interest rates are favourable atm. As above get a quote for repair and compare against the proposed renewal cost. There are roofing replacement cost calculators on the webbie for guestimation purposes. Not sure what purpose that weird roof light is serving. It looks like the  junction between the properties  has been replaced at some point.

I'm currently on the phone to mortgage company, to see about additional borrowing to fund replacement roof. ill definitely be getting the skylight removed when new roof gets put on.

-- edit -- agreed in principle, credit checks passed. Just to upload payslips etc, then appointment with mortgage advisor to finalise everything next week, as well as new fixed deal for mortgage.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:32:36 am »
From experience, fibreboard lining like yours will absorb water and discolour/deform as yours is just from normal condensation & damp.

BrianI

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2021, 11:49:27 am »
Definitely get another quote to see whether you’ll actually save any money getting it done at the same time, or if the cost/time saving will end up in the pocket of the builder.

Otoh if the neighbour is willing to deal with all the faff it might be worth getting it over with.

Probably easier to get the job done in one go, rather than having a seam in middle of the two roofs. 

ian

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2021, 12:04:04 pm »
From experience, fibreboard lining like yours will absorb water and discolour/deform as yours is just from normal condensation & damp.

I would check that the roof space is ventilated. This place had a new roof (fitted about five years before we moved in) but they'd neglected to install any kind of ventilation (honestly, what the fuck is it with tradespeople in the UK?) so it was a bit like a greenhouse up there. A nice man had to make lots of holes.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2021, 12:15:59 pm »

Probably easier to get the job done in one go, rather than having a seam in middle of the two roofs.

I'd be inclined to work with your neighbour to get 3 quotes, checking the spec carefully against current standards/building regs, and get the job done - and you should get a guarantee of some sort (it'll be an "insurance policy" type rather than just the roofer (bit like FENSA for window replacements)

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2021, 12:19:14 pm »

Well exactly, so they shouldn't be charging you the same again to do your roof too.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2021, 12:26:56 pm »
One tip on the quote.
Obvious to some, but make sure you know whether the quote includes the cost of scaffolding or not.  It can be a very expensive surprise at the end of the job.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2021, 12:29:39 pm »
You should be able to obtain an additional loan from your mortgage company if there is sufficient equity in the house. There may be a surveyors fee involved.  Interest rates are favourable atm. As above get a quote for repair and compare against the proposed renewal cost. You may simply have some missing/slipped tiles. That flashing looks a bit suspect but may be ok. Not sure what that fibreboard lining is supposed to be doing, as it is is a water sponge. Roofs were often constructed without sarking felt years ago. There are roofing replacement cost calculators on the webbie for guestimation purposes. Not sure what purpose that weird roof light is serving. It looks like a section of the roof at  the  junction/secret valley between the properties  has been replaced at some point. Make sure you use a respectable well known local firm.

Roof lights are surprisingly normal in Fife, but so is (or at least once was) people living in the attic space!
Betts* put the same on most of their houses, but ones that haven't had a velux replacement due to formal conversion are quite rare.

* Serial builder of private housing in East Central Scotland

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:42:32 pm »
Hmmmm, it sounds a bit flaky to me.

If I was you, I'd get up there and take some good pictures of the whole inside of the roof without the fibreboard. Then get an opinion from this place.

From the inside it looks shit, from the outside it doesn't.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 06 May, 2021, 09:41:41 pm »
I added £5,000 to the mortgage a few years ago when the conservatory gave up the ghost and it started raining inside.  No problem, but my mortgage was about £80k at the time on a house worth £250k.

(It pains me to have a mortgage in my 50s...I've already paid one off early, but that's divorce).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.