Author Topic: New fork / dynamo axle adapters?  (Read 1228 times)

New fork / dynamo axle adapters?
« on: 09 May, 2021, 09:28:26 pm »
I need to replace a disc fork on one of my bikes. I'm trying to decide whether to stick with normal quick release or go to a 12mm axle. I see that shutter precision does a 12mm dynamo hub but I'm not sure if it's possible to use this on other bikes that still have QR forks with some kind of adapter.

Is anyone doing this?

I've been toying with consolidating my old road and commuter bikes into a new gravel/adventure/fad bike at some point, which would surely come with a thru axle and if that's the case I'd like to have a dynamo wheel to share, doubt you can adapt a QR wheel for any kind of thru axle, so...

Thanks for any thoughts!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: New fork / dynamo axle adapters?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2021, 09:43:10 pm »
https://www.halowheels.com/shop/spares/hub-spares/12mm-to-qr-thru-axle-adaptor/ was the first I found but there are bound to be others.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:39:38 pm »

SON make one for their Dyno hubs

https://www.bike24.com/p2259188.html

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:43:59 pm »
Are they generic? The halo one has a promising product description. I found a 15mm to QR adapter by shutter precision and wasn't sure if there was a reason I couldn't find the equivalent 12mm

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:45:14 pm »
I get that the axles into the fork/frame are a standard but read some confusing stuff about the hub 'ends' fitting into some forks but not others)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2021, 12:14:42 pm »

SON make one for their Dyno hubs

https://www.bike24.com/p2259188.html

J
Bike24 are one of the companies that are currently not shipping to GB addresses.

Some fork design/implementations may not be compatible with some hub designs. The effective diameter of the flat on the inside of QR forks would need to accomodate and clamp nicely onto the larger diameter of the thro axle hub (dyno hub axles do need to be firmly clamped to stop them rotating in the forks and killing the wiring).

The other issue is that clearance for the disc mount varies, some forks won't accomodate some versions of centerlock locking rings, using a different (thinner) locking ring tends to fix this, the shimano lockrings that use the cassette tool are some of the slimest but some (older?) versions of lockring tools don't fit over the bigger axle size. 15mm SP thro axle dyno hub will only accept external drive lockrings.
If using an external drive lockring, the thinner versions of these don't get on with many models of the external BB adaptors they rely on to secure them, the splines in the tools don't extend far enough (the flat spanner versions tend to work though).
I have not seen any issues with 6 bolt fixing disks, but there's bound to be some combination of disk, bolt heads and fork that don't get along!
Centerlock and 6 bolt hubs have different diameter spoke flanges on the disk side.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2021, 12:17:16 pm »
Bike24 are one of the companies that are currently not shipping to GB addresses.

Oh yes, I forget how lucky I am being able to buy from them.

The same item can be bought from other suppliers.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2021, 05:39:57 pm »

J
The lowland cycle companies have been by preferred suppliers for a long time, but Brexit made a lot of them effectively close their doors to GB sales. A few that do still trade rely on selling VAT excluded and getting the courier to collect the VAT (and charging a handling fee for the priveledge), buyer beware (that very good price doesn't look so good when exchange rates and VAT @20% on the goods and the fees are added!).

The biggest problem is finding a UK/GB supplier that actually has stock or a real chance of getting bits. Many companies list parts they cannot get hold of in the current Brexit/Covid dominated markets, the better ones at least list as out of stock or let you know when you try to order, others let their robots take your money and refuse to communicate.

Only a fool, or someone who has broken something, would try to do a major build with current supply issues. I did just break a frame and am sourcing bits for a fixed wheel machine, many hours have been spent trying to track down parts that actually exist.

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2021, 07:09:26 pm »

J
The lowland cycle companies have been by preferred suppliers for a long time, but Brexit made a lot of them effectively close their doors to GB sales. A few that do still trade rely on selling VAT excluded and getting the courier to collect the VAT (and charging a handling fee for the priveledge), buyer beware (that very good price doesn't look so good when exchange rates and VAT @20% on the goods and the fees are added!).

The biggest problem is finding a UK/GB supplier that actually has stock or a real chance of getting bits. Many companies list parts they cannot get hold of in the current Brexit/Covid dominated markets, the better ones at least list as out of stock or let you know when you try to order, others let their robots take your money and refuse to communicate.

Only a fool, or someone who has broken something, would try to do a major build with current supply issues. I did just break a frame and am sourcing bits for a fixed wheel machine, many hours have been spent trying to track down parts that actually exist.

The flip side of the coin is that there are certain components (all those specifically Spa things, including the 86mm bcd chainrings for my Stronglight chainset, anything from SJS, who already had outrageous delivery charges before Brexit) that can be difficult to impossible to source for those of us on the continent. Handy having family in UK to receive stuff although current circumstances are against the rest of the delivery cycle.

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2021, 08:42:26 am »
Is it just one of these you need. I've got a frame with a thru axle rear but the front fork is QR. The wheelset is thru axle and the front just has one of these in it and a normal QR skewer. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363378465124?epid=22046144676&hash=item549b0b5964:g:qCAAAOSwcMRgi5YT
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein