Author Topic: First aid kit for cycling  (Read 5141 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: First aid kit for cycling
« Reply #50 on: 28 September, 2023, 01:14:49 pm »
I also considered adding a small mirror, though I could have used the phone's camera if it had occurred to me at the time.

I carry a small mirror in my touring medical kit, which is occasionally useful for this sort of thing (most recently, in combination with my phone to photograph the roof of my mouth to inspect the damage after a third-degree burn).  I wouldn't bother for normal bike rides, especially when the bike has a mirror on it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 28 September, 2023, 01:23:08 pm »
If you're camping, a mirror is useful for tick spotting. When riding, glasses are useful to keep bugs out of eyes. Also to keep wind out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #52 on: 28 September, 2023, 01:45:40 pm »
When riding, glasses are useful to keep bugs out of eyes. Also to keep wind out.
But not infallible.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 28 September, 2023, 02:06:46 pm »
Obviously not infallible (and probably quite fallible if you also need seeing-glasses for distance vision). I tend to wear these when "going for a ride" (as opposed to just riding in town) but with clear lenses (which, annoyingly, I can't now find on D4's website): https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/st-100-mtb-sunglasses-category-3-grey/_/R-p-11798?mc=8118521&c=black

NB: This ^ is not a first aid item!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 28 September, 2023, 06:50:45 pm »
probably quite fallible if you also need seeing-glasses for distance vision

On which basis, my touring sewing kit also contains a lightweight racing jeweller's screwdriver and an assortment of tiny screws.  And the first thing I do when I get home from the optiquack with new glasses is apply Loctite to all the screws, which is the cunningest plan since it occurred to me to fill cleat bolt heads with hot glue.

Experience suggests that glasses failures are more common on bike rides than anything requiring non-allergy-related first aid.

« Reply #55 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:46:42 pm »
And the first thing I do when I get home from the optiquack with new glasses is apply Loctite to all the screws

that is next level genius! Noted...

I had a couple of years free of glasses-anxiety when my middle child (also then my stoker) had the same prescription as me. Sadly our eyes have since diverged!