Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134551 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15850 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:23:55 pm »
A partial fettle of my wheel centres for the winter wheels. Removed the 4-ring logos from the Audi centres, scrubbed them up, and filled the holes with some modelling putty. Did an initial sand down, and they’re now drying out on the radiator before a final skim and clean up before painting. Tidied up the sample 3D printed Cupra logo (courtesy of Russell), plonked it in 90C water for 10 seconds, which softened it enough to conform to the curve if the cap before hardening again. That’s good, now I know the final versions can be made to fit snugly. Now I need to find a paint that’s close to the SEAT colour for the logo. It’s L27A but as it’s not a body colour it’s hard to come by. My eBay version wasn’t even close, but at least I got a refund.

Also worked out a way of getting my car onto axle stands so I can be comfortable when fitting the mud flaps. Nothing earth-shattering tho, I just realised the sill jack point reinforcement is long enough for both the trolley jack puc and the axle stand head to fit side by side.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15851 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:53:24 pm »
Went to Screwfix for supplies. (Plaster in a tube, fine surface filler in case that didn't work, nozzles with caps on for tubes of sealant, varnish. Wanted Hammerite too but not 750ml of the stuff so I didn't bother).
Used some Screwfix plaster in a sealant tube stuff to fill the hairline crack in a plaster cornice. Then did the same with a couple of cracks in the bathroom walls.
Used some eggshell to paint over the bits where the old curtain pole used to be fixed to the wall.
Wiped the curtain pole clean and then rubbed a bit of Free n Easy silicone lube on it. Glides like a very slidey thing now.
Took a look at the vestibule door which instead of being oak coloured was black and scratched from kittehs using it as a doorbell. Sanded it down, more in hope than expectation but it seemed to be coming up alright without going through the veneer. Varnishing to come another day when it's warmer and I can leave the door open long enough for it to dry,
Started painting some of the woodwork in the vestibule. Stopped cos it was getting a bit chilly.
Remembered while I had the ladder in to remove the glass bits from the 3 fisherman's lantern lights we have in the kitchen. They are no longer full of dust, beasties and grease and are all lovely and shiny now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15852 on: 01 May, 2021, 07:13:55 pm »
Popped a redshift stem on the Elan - can't have enough comfort!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15853 on: 01 May, 2021, 08:19:14 pm »
Removed the tops from 2 outdoor tables (made from strips of hardwood decking) and ran each piece through the planing machine to clean up and re-surface - reassembled the tables.  Need to apply seal of some sort.

Delivered a custom-size garden gate/door I had made for a customer (odd size to fit a sideway aperture - frame, ledged and braced, clad with featheredge and fitted with galvanised hinges)

Started to pressure-wash new limestone pavings prior to sealing

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15854 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:02:04 pm »
Thought I was going out on my bike today but the weather forecast turned out to be pure BS so I didn't and instead I painted the woodwork in the vestibule. Which got more annoying as I got to the bottom of the honey jar of paint and found all the rusty flakes I'd transferred from the tin.  >:(
Happily I have a brand new tin awaiting me for the 2nd coat.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15855 on: 03 May, 2021, 04:21:06 pm »
Swapped out the stretched-out Selle Anatomica from my trike and replaced it with a GB Aspin. Removed the Cinelli seatpost and Rolls saddle from HK’s new Trykit. Fitted a Grand Cru seatpost and a spare carved C17S instead.

Failed to get the tuits to adjust the loose headset on my trike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15856 on: 03 May, 2021, 04:47:11 pm »
Over the course of the last week I fettled a shelf for the garage to clear some floor space. One lump of ply, some old and knackered dinghy shrouds and a few bits and bobs from a marine supplier (eye bolts, bottle screws, wire thimble eyes) and three surplus to requirement hinges and I have myself an 8' x 2' shelf suspended off the side wall. With all the stuff that was on the floor it's cleared just the perfect amount of space to fit in one of these : -

Rust never sleeps

robgul

« Reply #15857 on: 03 May, 2021, 05:53:21 pm »
Having watched my wife struggle to remove her wellies (Hunters, obv) yesterday I made a boot-jack from a piece of scrap hardwood decking timber.   [Shame it's not 3 weeks time, it's her birthday and that would have solved a problem  ;D]

« Reply #15858 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:57:38 pm »
I refitted the handlebar bag bracket, for the big camera carrying bar bag. And also put some more goo in the front tyre and tweaked the valve a bit as I’d been loosing pressure.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15859 on: 03 May, 2021, 11:49:30 pm »
Rejibbled a bunch of shelves in the Great Hall prior to doing a long-overdue repositioning of Things.  Phase 1 involves DVDs, books and a trip to the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy tomorrow :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15860 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:21:24 am »
Rejibbled a bunch of shelves in the Great Hall prior to doing a long-overdue repositioning of Things.  Phase 1 involves DVDs, books and a trip to the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy tomorrow :-\

Ditto, re-purposing the cupboards where we stocked the dogs' food.  A Great Declutter is on the cards but let's not be hasty.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15861 on: 04 May, 2021, 07:28:48 pm »
Dropped off a set of alloys to be refurbished, and took the opportunity to pop into Halfords where I picked up primer, paint and lacquer to spray my wheel centres. Priming done this afternoon, gloss black finish tomorrow.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15862 on: 04 May, 2021, 07:33:46 pm »
3 years after getting the bathroom fitted, finally got around to adjusting the shower door so that it meets the frame all the way up, and hopefully rests in the open position instead of closing itself. (Funny how you just live with all these things until you want to sell your property).
I've taken Friday off to redo the silicone sealant, joy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15863 on: 05 May, 2021, 09:57:49 pm »
Degreased the threads and added some Loctite to my trike’s headset. Hopefully that will stop it from gradually working loose. The 1” threaded steel Ritchey headset does have a hard life though. A biggish frame with the quill stem at the limit, two powerful front brakes and a heavy rider who likes to descend and corner enthusiastically.

« Reply #15864 on: 06 May, 2021, 11:21:30 am »
Made a proper TV stand for my ipad and monitor when using Zwift.  Out of gas pipe.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15865 on: 06 May, 2021, 02:23:56 pm »
Fettled all the DVD's and books into Righteous Order.  Except the Motoring Library, which plezh still awaits.  And the getting rid of all those boxes.  And the reclassification of 100 miles of Anbaric String.  And lots of filing and/or shredding/burning.  And things.

My shoulder hurts now :'(

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15866 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:05:43 pm »
The £4 from the local recycling centre reuse shop folding wooden chair. I started using it for seated dumbbell lifts. It didn’t feel very stable. Inspection showed lots of dried out and separating joints. Cue some dismantling, followed by glueing and screwing of said joints, plus repair of some separating laminate. Now drying out, but felt much more sturdy and stable.

« Reply #15867 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:32:35 pm »
A bit of wheel truing (it's better at least) and new brake pads fitted and adjusted on the leccy folding bike.

It's a fiddle because there's a very fine line between catching the tyre and being low off the rim. And, with the still extant wobble, a fine line betwwen sufficient braking when required and not having it rub every revolution and steal my momentum. More truing needed, another day.

And then I noticed that the chain was rather slack because the wheel had slipped forward in the dropout so I sorted that and then got to go through all the rear brake adjustment again  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #15868 on: 06 May, 2021, 09:29:06 pm »
The bike shedde. Specifically the works one. Last year I reported a water tank overflow dripping on to the roof of said edifice, causing a state of dampness underfoot. This tended to worsen after a night's inactivity in the washrooms.
 Well, the extra long inactivity over the last several months created a biologically interesting swamp over about a third of the floor area, smelly, slippery and a darn nuisance for access.
So today I (eventually) managed to find a shovel, yard brush and bucket for clean water and shifted the more solid guck to a shrubbery then swilled the rest away across the car park.
 O, looking forward to clean tyres and shoes tomorrow. ;D

« Reply #15869 on: 07 May, 2021, 01:56:08 pm »
Front mud flaps onto my car. Fortunately a quick and painless process, although I couldn’t find anywhere to use an axle stand, so had 2 scissor jacks on the one jacking point (fortunately on the Ateca they’re long enough for that) and wheel chocks on the opposing rear wheel. Only needed the front wheel off for less than 5 minutes a side.

I have the rears to fit, except they’re for the FR trim version, and mine’s a Cupra with 1) a slightly different profile rear “bumper” (so a little dremelling was involved in shaping them better, tho still not great) so 2) the two fixing screws that are supposed to be reused are on the wrong place so can’t be. I’ve ordered a selection of automotive fasteners and will hopefully be able to do the rears next weekend. Then it’ll be black silicone sealant to mask the gaps ‘twixt flaps (in reality rigid plastic shapes) and the bodywork. 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15870 on: 07 May, 2021, 04:39:45 pm »
Spent from 0900 stripping out the silicone sealant round our shower cabinet. Didn't get finished that til about 1300 cos I had trouble cleaning up the joint between the tray and the glass in the end panel, eventually I had to accept the best of a bad job. (I also managed to cut my finger open on a sharp bit of shower panel). The sealant took me another 90 mins.
Then I used a tube of plaster sealant to tidy up some gaps between my fashioned bit of wood skirting where I had the stove reinstalled.
Then Pingu helped me take some shit to the charity shop and the tip.
Then I soaked our plastic shower caddies in some hot soda crystals solution to dissolve all the soapy ick off.
I am bloody knackered now.

robgul

« Reply #15871 on: 07 May, 2021, 05:42:17 pm »
Shifted 2 tonnes of topsoil from the driveway to the garden by wheelbarrow - pausing mid-task to fettle one wheelbarrow handle and the wheel.   Barrow must be 40 or 50 years old, it was my late FiL's and he made stuff last.
Just the giant bag of bark chips to move tomorrow - that should be easier as the wheelbarrow is now running very smoothly.

« Reply #15872 on: 07 May, 2021, 09:08:46 pm »
Just changed a Poundland GU10 LED bulb that had gone flickery after (checks Big Clive's Youtube) 6 years of daily use.

The remaining ones seem slightly dimmer than the spare I had on the shelf of the same vintage, so maybe they'll get swapped eventually too.

« Reply #15873 on: 07 May, 2021, 09:49:53 pm »
Put smaller chain rings on the Elan - 48/38/28. With the 11/36 I've got about 21 gear inches at the bottom which makes those bloomin steep Chiltern climbs easier. I can chill out in the seat, and listen to the quiet - rather than the sound of my lungs trying to escape through my mouth.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15874 on: 07 May, 2021, 10:52:42 pm »
Started lacing up new rims and spokes for rear wheels on HK’s No2 trike. Using asymmetric tubeless-compatible Kinlin rims for a wider track/ more stable cornering is an approach that nobody in the Tricycle Association seems to have tried before.