Author Topic: Come Back In Two Months  (Read 1707 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Come Back In Two Months
« on: 15 December, 2008, 07:31:33 pm »
Back in February I had a sudden visit to a hospital that resulted in the removal of my gall bladder. During my short stay there the consultant mentioned that my blood test results were "a bit odd" and when I got out my GP got a letter to that effect. She got me re-tested and the results were "a bit odd" - bilirubin a bit high, white blood cells slightly too large and too spherical, slightly anaemic, some liver enzymes a bit above/below the normal limits. She said it was probably because of the surgery and to come back in two months. I did. Results were all slightly different, but still outwith the norm.
Come back again in two months. Results still outwith norms.
Come back again in two months. Results still outwith norms.
Last time she told me not to drink any alcohol for a month, then retest for Liver Function. Did that last week and was hoping for some kind of conclusion. Got the letter on Saturday, "please repeat blood tests in two month's time".

That'll be a year from the initial tests. I feel pretty OK, but there seems no end to this. How long should a GP re-test and re-test before admitting they don't have a clue and referring on to someone else?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Re: Come Back In Two Months
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:44:02 pm »
Speaking as a Pathology worker, I'd ask your GP to refer you to a Consultant Liverologist. Your GP won't know enough about liver (mal)function to analyse the bloods appropriately ie beyond "a bit odd".

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:49:59 pm »
Of course the GP Book (or Dr Google ;) ) may just say "if the result are a bit odd, but not hairy, refer for re-testing periodically and see if they change". 

Have you asked the GP?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2008, 09:18:04 pm »
Have you asked the GP?

Going to ask her next week - just wanted the expert opinion of the forum first.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2008, 02:00:48 pm »
Have you asked the GP?

Going to ask her next week - just wanted the expert opinion of the forum first.

What did she say?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'