Author Topic: What's in your bag?  (Read 3192 times)

sam

What's in your bag?
« on: 26 July, 2023, 01:12:02 pm »

flyover

This is what goes with me on every ride. (My wife made me pack the Epipen. Didn't have that last time I made an inventory.)

Yes, the water bottle goes in too, though I've since switched to a Sigg, which is much nicer.

Re: What's in your bag?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2023, 02:27:57 pm »
Waterproofs and a pump in the carradice saddlebag.  I also have a topeak bag under the saddle for multitool, wrench, spare tube and dubless repair kit (and, it turns out, a single glove to not get crap all over my hands when doing repairs.  Not that I ever remember  :facepalm: ).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2023, 02:42:19 pm »
My fixed commuter's Carradice always contains a cheap waterproof and a gillet and there is usually a pen and a spare tube. Commuting means that day's clothes are there.

Using the fixed for a brevet might mean the tool/ tube bottle moves into the saddlebag to allow a second bidon on the bike, along with some suncreen, chamois cream and ride food going into the bag. The saddlebag might also contain arm and/or leg warmers and full finger gloves for night riding, with a toothbrush, spare batteries and spare knicks added for 600s.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2023, 03:02:44 pm »
Handlebar bag last year:

Got a new bag since but it's much the same.

Saddlebag (Vaude Silk Route): Spare bike battery (I'm decrepit), rain gear (mostly to stop battery rolling about), somewhat less useless lock, gas pump

Slung under the rack there's also a tool kit incl. a BFO 18mm spanner in case I have to take the motor wheel off.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

sam

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2023, 10:16:11 pm »
Sets a new bar for What's in your bag? pics.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2023, 12:19:20 am »
P1020810 by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2023, 09:22:03 am »
BagContents 07-23 by ao, on Flickr

Quite a lot...  ;)

Including: 
Emergency blanket & basic first aid.
Spare reading specs / clear cycling specs
Go_Pro stuff - clear plastic box.  Magnet sign - used sparingly.
Disp gloves
Red small waterproof bag.
Sunscreen
P*ncture repair kit, kevlar spoke, chain links etc
Waterproof jacket
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2023, 12:38:19 pm »
Since life, the house and an imminent civic christening have caught up with me and at present I'm not going anywhere very far my bag usually contains a cable lock (in the bottle pouch at the back), a rear light, the garage/lock keys in one side pocket, the shoulder strap for the other bag and, for half the journey at least a combination of viennoiserie (always at least one pain au raisin) and an occasional loaf of bread.
For a trip further afield swop viennoiserie for a tool kit in a small box, a couple of tubes, a pump and a powerbank and cable (although on the folder powerbank and tubes go in a small barbag because I can't run the cable from the rack bag to the phone on the bars). Oh and add munchies in some form or other!

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2023, 02:46:45 pm »
I usually have either a Carradice Lowsaddle Longflap or a Camper Longflap on the bike.  The Lowsaddle tends to get used for leisure rides and the Camper for utility/commuting rides.  I have the Bagman QR clamps on my saddles and a shoulder strap on the saddlebags.

Here's the basic day-ride bag: It has my Carradice Pro-Route cape strapped to the top.  I line the bottom of the bag with a foam sit-mat (the bright green thing - handy for the knees on a wet and cold roadside whilst fixing a mechanical). The pump, cable-ties and bits of plastic milk carton (for tyre boots) go under the mat. The pale blue pouch contains two spare inner tubes.  Tools (including a Park multi-tool) and tubes go into the side pockets.  Also carried are emergency nitrile gloves, empty bread bag (re-use is the best recycle) and emergency chocolate bars.

Here's the toolbag and its contents: Probably a bit overboard for day rides.  I forgot to put the Park Tool MTB-7 in this picture.  The little clear plastic bag has cable end-caps and solder wire coupling tubes - you put the wire in each end and heat the tube with a lighter - solder melts and tube shrinks. There is a cleat screw in the bag of screws.  On overnighters, I would usually also carry a couple of fibre spokes and an eyedropper bottle containing oil.

This little black pouch contains the stuff I tend to carry whether with the bike or not - it gets transferred to whatever bigger bag I'm using.  There's a magnifying glass and a glass-cloth in there.  When using the Camper saddlebag, tghis pouch fits in one side pocket and my tools with spare tubes and nitrile gloves in the other.

Also in the saddlebag, I have this cheap Planet X musette which my lock goes into when on the bike and my hat, gloves and trouser bands go into when the bike is locked up (also battery lights and cycle computer when applicable).  The D-lock & cable are used for most utility rides/commuting, the bottom (lightweight) lock is used for pub/cafe stops etc.. For high risk parking, I use a heavy chain with the D lock.

There's a bit of flexibility in the execution: e.g. for shopping trips, it's often just the Camper saddlebag and the lock; different waterproofs sometimes get taken on the commute.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2023, 03:07:21 pm »
People have mocked me for the amount of stuff I carry, but this is rural Scotland and public transport to the vicinity of where I live is mostly non-existent.

(This isn't for wee trips to the shop, by the way, where I am far more circumspect.)

Not pictured are the contents of the canister attached to the bottom of my AP20, wherein one would find nitrile gloves, a multitool, tyre boot, spare link, puncture repair kit, cable ties. There are cleat covers in the Cycology bag. I tend to carry a lot of food because my digestive system is a brat, and I can't guarantee to find something it will tolerate in shops.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

chopstick

« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2023, 03:13:41 pm »
It's good to see that someone else carries a Fenix headtorch  :)
I used to take the HL23 but I've recently got myself the HM50R (more useful/versatile to me on camping trips)

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2023, 03:28:04 pm »
I like the beam pattern on the HM50R. Only having the one eye, some headlights make it even harder to judge distances. I'm not sure what it is in the beam pattern. But the HM50R is good.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2023, 03:37:34 pm »
Just this.

The older I get, the more willing I am to GAMI.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2023, 04:18:11 pm »
for most of my rides - a prk and a couple of allen keys.

wallet, keys, phone in the back pockets.

lights, gps and a pump attached to the bike.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2023, 08:34:10 pm »
Things I think I'll need and things I'm hoping I won't.
That is all.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 27 July, 2023, 10:48:15 pm »
Depends on the bag.

- Right feed bag  - M&M's, Sun cream, Inhaler.
- Left feed bag - Medication, inhaler, buff, musette
- Top tube bag - Tire levers, ratchet rocket, spare tube, magic key, bead jack, leatherman juice CS4, spare batteries, torque bits, spanners (various), cassette tool, wolftooth pack pliers.
- Frame bag - Mountain morph G pump, 98wh battery pack + cables, di2 charger, delorme inreach tracker, fenix pd35 head light, deoderant, chamois cream, saddle sore cream, hivis, pack of heated insoles. towel+soap+plug, spare spokes, spare brake pads, coin towels
- Tailfin - ear plugs, spare wahoo, merino liner gloves, space blanket, waterproof socks, leg warmers, spare shorts, spare jersey, fleece, pack of heated insoles, usb wall wart, leatherman ps4, random coins, usb-c sd card reader, windproof jacket, Trauma dressing (taped to outside of bag)
- Mesh bag - waterproof jacket, extra gloves

That's the base load for just a leisurely ride, If I'm going for a longer ride, or in colder conditions I'll add an emergency bivvi, and a down jacket at least.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

sam

« Reply #16 on: 28 July, 2023, 05:58:01 am »
Stopping at all the pictures:

T42: Your spread has "Ask me about the bootlace, the whistle, the remote alarm, and that pen that looks like a hypodermic" written all over it.

IanDG: Does the hippo [I think] come along for the ride?

andyoxon: The sign raised a smile

chopstick: I'm glad to see someone took this assignment seriously. Also, you can't just say "cable end-caps and solder wire coupling tubes - you put the wire in each end and heat the tube with a lighter - solder melts and tube shrinks" and leave it at that.

ravenbait: Now I know who to ride with if I need that second dose of adrenaline (except that would leave you with none, which is not on).

L CC: I should know what GAMI means but don't.

« Reply #17 on: 28 July, 2023, 06:47:08 am »
Get A Man In.

chopstick

« Reply #18 on: 28 July, 2023, 07:02:36 am »
. . .you can't just say "cable end-caps and solder wire coupling tubes - you put the wire in each end and heat the tube with a lighter - solder melts and tube shrinks" and leave it at that.

For dynamo wiring emergencies  :).  I've never used them and doubt that I will - but if I do, then I anticipate a little kick of satisfaction bordering on smugness  ;) (not the cable end caps - they're for the ends of cables, to prevent fraying - I've never put one of these on away from home but you never know . . .)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/wurth-solder-butt-connector-x-1/

« Reply #19 on: 28 July, 2023, 09:23:07 am »
I’d take a couple of these and ditch the lighter:
https://www.toolstation.com/in-line-spring-lever-connectors/p30952

(The clear ones are even better, if you can find them)

sam

« Reply #20 on: 28 July, 2023, 10:41:26 am »
Get A Man In.

Ah. That would be my wife. She's only had a few callouts over the years.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 28 July, 2023, 10:52:14 am »
I’m surprised Flatus hasn’t put his up yet

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #22 on: 29 July, 2023, 10:43:01 am »
I’m surprised Flatus hasn’t put his up yet

Well, there was an identical thread on acf, in which I put up the contents of my courier bag, which included a handgun. Remember?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 29 July, 2023, 11:25:33 am »
T42: Your spread has "Ask me about the bootlace, the whistle, the remote alarm, and that pen that looks like a hypodermic" written all over it.

Bootlace: can be used for various things, most recently to lash the back end of the bike to a handy bench and keep derailleur etc off the ground while I attempted to fix a flat; only to find out that my pump was kaput.

Whistle: used to use it to marshal UAF Audax pelotons and it just sorta stayed there.

Alarm remote: controls the alarm mounted under the saddle.

Pen: came with a begging letter from one of the medical charities.  Seemed appropriate for brevet cards.  I've had it 8 or 9 years so it probably doesn't work any more. That's OK, I don't either.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #24 on: 03 August, 2023, 04:43:03 pm »
I take two tubes, multitool with chain tool and tyre levers, tyre boot, spoke wrench, puncture repair kit and spare quick link for my chain in-case it breaks. In winter I carry a spare front light and always have two rear lights. On long rides or multi-day tours I take a spare Garmin etrex 30.

Never needed anything else.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.