Author Topic: SPD cycling shoes that drain and dry quickly  (Read 1643 times)

SPD cycling shoes that drain and dry quickly
« on: 08 August, 2023, 09:43:29 am »
It is rarely dry here, a fact I was reminded of on Sat, when I rode through a deluge.

My shoes are old, held together by epoxy and absolutely reek as soon as they get slightly damp.

Could do with replacing them with something that didn't hold much water and drained well (used to like sandals).

What shoes fit these requirements:
Comfortable for a bit of walking (say, round a supermarket).
SPD-compatible
Drain and dry quickly
fit wide feet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: SPD cycling shoes that drain and dry quickly
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:51:16 am »
I'd say the old Shimano SPD sandals. Don't know what the *new ones are like.

*introduced 10 years ago thereabouts...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:54:28 am »
I'm put off the new SPDs, see this review
I had a pair of the old Shimano sandals and they were awesome. Lasted 10 years of regular use. When my old ones broke, I bought these to replace them.

The quality has completely nosedived. The straps are thin and not very comfortable. The sole is way too thin and flexible, and is uncomfortable on the pedal immediately.

Maybe I should try resurrecting my old SPD sandals, I think they are around somewhere (cleat bolts rusted into the plate).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2023, 09:57:15 am »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2023, 10:27:21 am »
HK finds Exustar sandles to be stiff enough.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m6b0s154p3121/EXUSTAR-SS-503-Sandal
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2023, 10:27:57 am »
These?

Oh god no.

So much wrong with those . . .

I've found a few reviews that suggest exustar are much stiffer than the current Sh!tmano ones. thanks for that link, might try those when the bonus comes in.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2023, 10:51:10 am »
I use ski boot driers in my shoes when they are wet.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2023, 11:26:55 am »
If there's rain, I wear my Northwave SPD boots.  No more wet feet.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2023, 06:42:29 pm »
sandals, sandals, sandals. 
Shimano. Bomb proof. Ideally sized big enough that you can put 2 pairs of socks and booties on and still strap them on.
often lost.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2023, 06:45:04 pm »
Yeah, "Go back in time and buy a several of SD65s" is clearly the optimal solution.

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:36:26 pm »
Yeah, "Go back in time and buy a several of SD65s" is clearly the optimal solution.
I believe they use the same sole as the Lake sandals, which have soles that disintegrate about 10-15 years from manufacture. I had a nos pair that fell to bits on their first ride out of the box! >:(

(BTW, I also had this happen a couple of weeks ago to a pair of Meindl, Army issue boots that I was using for walking in Scotland…  >:( >:( >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2023, 08:05:04 pm »
Ah, I know this, see the comments on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mNZ_q4CHuk

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:25:44 am »
I've been using SPD sandals more or less exclusively for 10 years or so, and that they dry quickly is one of their main advantages. The feet not being enclosed also means that spare evening footwear is no longer a part of my touring luggage.
Using sandals for that long has meant that my feet have become inured to the cold, or my circulation has improved or something, as I find no socks comfortable down to about zero these days. Not using socks also helps the feet to dry out promptly.

Current Shimano SD-5:
The sole isn't really stiff enough for long rides or steep hills, but they are otherwise good. I use them for local rides to save wear and tear on my other sandals.

Old Shimano SD66:
Nice and stiff, with an open body for quick drying. The best, apart from not being available any more.

Exustar SS503 (as per @LWaB above):
The neoprene panel covering the top of the foot on these makes these too enclosed for my taste, so if I wanted more sandals, I'd get the Transit Ragsters from Bike Nashbar in the USA.
These are the old Exustar SS501 sandals under another name. They are stiff enough for long rides, and there's the protection of a toe cover if you find yourself riding too close to the vegetation. The textured footbed can be uncomfortable for walking too much when they are new, but it's OK after a month or two of cycling use.

« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:10:14 am »
They do look suitable, but I have odd-shaped feet, so really need to be able try on (and return if they don't fit).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:30:45 am »

They do look suitable, but I have odd-shaped feet, so really need to be able try on (and return if they don't fit).

Living on Lewis they're probably turning into webbed feet. Have you started to grow gills as well?  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:12:02 am »

Living on Lewis they're probably turning into webbed feet. Have you started to grow gills as well?  ;D

They were already webbed.
I'm growing feathers and wool, which is an odd mix.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:26:16 pm »
HK cut out a lot of neoprene from her Exustar sandals to improve ventilation.

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2023, 07:42:00 pm »
I've mostly been using my SD-5 shimano sandals since May.  Great.  No issues.  Was concerned they weren't ultra stiff when bought last year, but it's not been a problem at all. Did a 100km this week, with some decent hills - fine.   YMMV.  :)  Crossed a ford (no bridge) last week, the sandals took ~ 1hr to be fully dry, until this just a bit damp - the inner lining is slightly absorbent.    ETA.  I like the sole - cleat nicely recessed, decent tread pattern, and compound quite grippy.   My 'review'... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123655.0

PXL_SD5 by a oxon, on Flickr

PXL_20230801_Duxford by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #18 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:29:43 pm »
Ah, I know this, see the comments on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mNZ_q4CHuk

Huh! thank you. That explains a pair of army surplus boots I bought a few years back. A known type that I had sucessfully worn out in previous incarnations but this pair crumbled in a few weeks.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #19 on: 23 August, 2023, 08:16:16 am »
I believe they use the same sole as the Lake sandals, which have soles that disintegrate about 10-15 years from manufacture. I had a nos pair that fell to bits on their first ride out of the box! >:(

(BTW, I also had this happen a couple of weeks ago to a pair of Meindl, Army issue boots that I was using for walking in Scotland…  >:( >:( >:(

My Meindl boots midsole broke down somewhere between 6 and 10 years from purchase. Light use only as I’m more often found in fell running shoes. I sent them back to the factory via the UK importer (who are brilliant) and they fitted new soles for £85 including post and all. That’s the same as the non-factory UK people charge so I was happy enough - it was still noticeably less than the boots cost or would cost to replace, quite apart from the desire not to discard a perfectly good (well, OK) set of uppers.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20 on: 27 August, 2023, 08:50:57 am »
HK cut out a lot of neoprene from her Exustar sandals to improve ventilation.

I am considering doing exactly this, my feets get very warm in mine
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 27 August, 2023, 11:06:20 am »
Be careful about smoothness of the cut edges.

« Reply #22 on: 04 September, 2023, 08:52:06 am »
I've hunted and hunted and found a model of shoe that seems to offer what I want.

Annoyingly, I can't tell what size my old shoes are, the label has quite worn away. Shimano sizing is so odd that it could be anything from 42 to 45.
<i>Marmite slave</i>