Author Topic: New Edelux on the way  (Read 2502 times)

New Edelux on the way
« on: 24 August, 2023, 09:27:45 pm »
https://nabendynamo-de.translate.goog/edelux-ladescheinwerfer/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Some impressive numbers, that might be easy to dismiss if they came from any other source.  Built in USB charger, at 7.5W! High and low beam.  plus the possability of lighting and charging at the same time.

I am a sucker for new lights, this one looks like it's going to be expensive, even more so as once I've upgraded one the other two always seem inadequate.

Re: New Edelux on the way
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2023, 11:57:02 pm »
Interesting, better start saving, B&M don’t seem to have done anything new for ages, had better get to it to match this. Despite the “don’t need charging because of big batteries” I would like to have charging again (my Luxos U died , due to water ingress? so have been using lesser model, bright enough but no usb)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:59:30 am »
120 lux on the low beam sounds a lot, as long as it's in the right places. And a switchable high beam (how does it switch?) is attractive. But I'm happy with my IQ-X and not going to buy something at umpty £$.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:14:20 am »
Interesting to know what the high beam is. I suspect diffeeent beam rather than much more light.

Still pulling 10 watts from a dynamo is fairly neat, as long as the dynamo efficiency doesn’t fall off a cliff and lead to a need for 30 watts of extra pedalling effort.

Meanwhile, my IQ-XE still delivers 150 lux from a 4x18650 battery pack.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2023, 11:05:48 am »
120 lux on the low beam sounds a lot, as long as it's in the right places. And a switchable high beam (how does it switch?) is attractive. But I'm happy with my IQ-X and not going to buy something at umpty £$.

My (2nd) IQ-X has no standlight.  But when I am rolling it is great.  The first one stopped working but I have read about fixing them might have a go
Luxos (also 2nd one) is permanently on.  If I press the button to turn it off, it goes off but comes on again in 60 seconds.  Probably it is the sensor.  I have cleaned where the sensor is but is is still malfunctioning.  Everything else (usb charger, boost light etc) works on it still
Both Cyos I have are still working 100% and are older than any of the IQ-X or Luxos

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2023, 11:20:23 am »

My (2nd) IQ-X has no standlight.  But when I am rolling it is great.  The first one stopped working but I have read about fixing them might have a go
Luxos (also 2nd one) is permanently on.  If I press the button to turn it off, it goes off but comes on again in 60 seconds.  Probably it is the sensor.  I have cleaned where the sensor is but is is still malfunctioning.  Everything else (usb charger, boost light etc) works on it still
Both Cyos I have are still working 100% and are older than any of the IQ-X or Luxos
Yes, I have two ( :facepalm: :facepalm:) IQ-Xs, one of which exhibits similar self-turning on behaviour. The standlights still work on both though, and it's a great shaped beam. But B&M quality does seem to have taken a nosedive about the time they introduced the IQ-X.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 25 August, 2023, 06:03:55 pm »

Think there's a typo in there and it should be 120mah not 1200mah.

Also am I the only one thinking that losing 10W to a dynamo is a bit much?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2023, 06:16:43 pm »
Thought dynamos produced 3W so I'm going to say I don't understand that.

« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2023, 06:49:00 pm »
They’re sized to drive 3W of incandescent lightbulb at some nominal speed, but that doesn’t mean higher outputs aren’t possible with clever power electronics.

It’s not out until Spring 2024 so I can start saving now.

1200 mAh is plausible in the size of housing they’ve got to play with. Though the handlebar control seems awfully big

« Reply #9 on: 25 August, 2023, 07:06:09 pm »
Though the handlebar control seems awfully big

It does say the images are of a prototype. I suspect (and hope!) it will be slimmed down somewhat for the final production model....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:33:03 pm »

Fine if it's for high beam on a descent, or for charging something when you've unexpectedly been caught short of electrons, but yes.

(TBH, I'm fairly sceptical about dynamo charging in general.  Given the performance of modern batteries, it doesn't seem worth adding complexity to your lighting system for.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:35:37 pm »

Fine if it's for high beam on a descent, or for charging something when you've unexpectedly been caught short of electrons, but yes.

(TBH, I'm fairly sceptical about dynamo charging in general.  Given the performance of modern batteries, it doesn't seem worth adding complexity to your lighting system for.)

Likewise.

If I want extra light for a descent I'm attaching it to my helmet tho. So I can look where I want to go, and not where the bike is pointing.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:09:44 pm »
If I want extra light for a descent I'm attaching it to my helmet tho. So I can look where I want to go, and not where the bike is pointing.

Yes, although this strategy backfires miserably in fog.  (DAHIKT)

Having a high-beam mode on your fit-and-forget dynamo lighting seems useful enough, and I suppose once you've implemented that, you're most of the way to USB charging.

« Reply #13 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:16:59 pm »
They’re sized to drive 3W of incandescent lightbulb at some nominal speed, but that doesn’t mean higher outputs aren’t possible with clever power electronics.

They are nominally a constant-current source of 0.5A so that if you put a 6V/3W incandescent bulb across it, you get 6V from it (P=IV). But if you put two of the same in series, you still get 0.5A, the voltage is magically 12V and it's producing 6W. No clever electronics required, though obv it doesn't give the full 6W until you're going slightly faster.

Taking that principle further is a trade-off between how fast you need to go before it gives you the watts you need, and how many watts of your pedalling power you want to sacrifice to not-going-forwards.

I've used dynamo charging while touring since it was first sensibly available and it's been a life-line on occasion, but I would agree with you. I'd rather have reliable lighting - the IQ-X is notoriously short-lived particularly if it spends long periods in the rain. Cables can be destroyed in a day of bumpy roads/moist conditions. A power bank good for several days now weighs less than my (small) camera.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:14:13 pm »

It is kinda nice to run the etrex20 directly off the power from the generator and not have to bother with carrying a load of batteries.  Also run it at night with the backlight on the screen permanently on

For actual charging - a phone for instance - it didn't seem that great

« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:38:00 pm »

Think there's a typo in there and it should be 120mah not 1200mah.

J

I thought I’d posted something along the lines of, ‘Imagine if the efficiency drops below 50%. That’s going to hurt a bit.’

So, you are not alone.

Yours faithfully

Battery boy

« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2023, 01:13:22 pm »

It is kinda nice to run the etrex20 directly off the power from the generator and not have to bother with carrying a load of batteries.  Also run it at night with the backlight on the screen permanently on

For actual charging - a phone for instance - it didn't seem that great

It’s not a load of batteries though is it? Carry four spare AA and that’s enough for 72 hours use.  Call that 12 days use if riding  for 6 hours a day when touring.

« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2023, 01:15:40 pm »
I have a Cyo premium on my recumbent, and it keeps on working, and more than bright enough for me. I have an Edelux II on my road bike. I could swap them over, but haven’t bothered.

« Reply #18 on: 26 August, 2023, 01:44:34 pm »
I had a B&M fly? led light with high and low beam.  The head unit pivoted in the lamp body and clicked into two different places.  It took a while to get the setup right but once done I could simply drop a hand and move the head almost instantaneously. 

Proved useful not only on country lanes but also on non-tarmac surfaces bringing the illumination closer to the front wheel.

I set the light up in the "main beam" position for best effect and then simply dipped the head for oncoming traffic, in lighted areas and for tricky surfaces.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 26 August, 2023, 01:51:53 pm »
I have a Cyo premium on my recumbent, and it keeps on working, and more than bright enough for me.

I still reckon this one is the sweet spot for price:performance, and the proven physical design of the Cyo means you're not worried about soft switches or waterproofing.

That said, I find the wider beam of the IQ-X is beneficial on a recumbent, where the light doesn't move with the steering.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2023, 01:56:01 pm »
I find the wider beam beneficial on a knupwrite. Probably more useful in fact than the extra brightness over most dynamo lamps.

« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2023, 12:58:52 pm »
I have a Cyo premium on my recumbent, and it keeps on working, and more than bright enough for me.

I still reckon this one is the sweet spot for price:performance, and the proven physical design of the Cyo means you're not worried about soft switches or waterproofing.

That said, I find the wider beam of the IQ-X is beneficial on a recumbent, where the light doesn't move with the steering.
Very much this.
Though I had the usual/common failure and the regular issues with the IQ-X which made me swap it out for the Cyo.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #22 on: 28 August, 2023, 03:54:13 pm »
Interesting, better start saving, B&M don’t seem to have done anything new for ages, had better get to it to match this.
B&M are offering a high/dipped beam IQ-XL from 'autumn 2023' for €300. They claim 300 lux in low beam, and 250 lux in high beam which doesn't seem right. I suppose they mean an additional 250 lux? No USB port.
I won't be buying - no real need, too pricey, and doubts about robustness of current B&M kit.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 28 August, 2023, 04:12:16 pm »
Interesting that their photo shows some side detail clear on the 100 lux and 150 lux photos but not the 300 lux. More lux still can sux! Never mind the brightness, feel the width.

« Reply #24 on: 28 August, 2023, 05:13:08 pm »
https://nabendynamo-de.translate.goog/edelux-ladescheinwerfer/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Is anyone really asking for a switchable beam? I guess when you've got an already excellent product (Edelux II) it's difficult to satisfy the commercial imperative with something new and 'improved'.

As for charging, like others, I'm finding a small rechargeable battery in the bottom of the handlebar bag does the job with less engineering overhead. Thinking on-bike generator charging is a solution overcome by progress elsewhere.