Author Topic: Electric assist bikes - new forum daughter board needed?  (Read 865 times)

Electric assist bikes - new forum daughter board needed?
« on: 29 August, 2023, 11:08:26 am »
I'm vaguely think about converting a bike to electric assist but would like to ask questions about options so was wondering if a new daughter board should be set up to cover this subject?

In the nature of the forum it would be about conversion/modification rather than buying a new complete bike.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Electric assist bikes - new forum daughter board needed?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2023, 12:57:15 pm »
I have no issue with a sub-board - but as for conversions my view is - just don't!    I did loads of research a few years ago, and again recently for a customer and am still of the view that all of the conversions are too much of a compromise.

Yep, people will be along to argue the case!

« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2023, 01:52:34 pm »
Interesting POV, what do you consider the compromises to be?

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2023, 02:31:42 pm »
Interesting POV, what do you consider the compromises to be?

Bike frame not designed for electric power
Braking on the bike - I think it needs discs - and that then complicates in-wheel motors*
All the conversion kits I've seen have limitations on how they can be fitted
Wires all over the place
Battery mounting often positioned to unbalance the bike (esp rack mounted)

. .. a bit of a sweeping statement, but unless you go for one of the expensive kits (from just a few suppliers) any back-up or warranty is dubious . . . esp the "direct from China" stuff

* having ridden both front and rear in-wheel motors the balance takes some getting used to . . .  rear wheel is preferable, hence mainstream brands Orbea, Ribble etc (both have same system) with these models.

« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2023, 03:03:28 pm »
We have two cargo e-bikes, a Kona eUte and a Raleigh Stride.

I wouldn't do a conversion either.  The Bosch system on our bikes is well designed, reliable, and parts availability is good (I'm assuming the same is for shimano steps)  All the cabling is hidden in the frame as designed and the batteries are mounted to the frames pretty solidly.  it rather just works.  In addition the battery packs are bombproof, and pretty safe in terms of fire risk from charging.  We've bought spare ones so we can swap over, and I'm having the dual battery kit retrofitted onto my bike and the motor software updated.

It's basically plug and play.

Unless you mean one of those swytch type kits with a sensor, motor front wheel, and battery in a handlebar bag.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2023, 03:20:42 pm »
If you can point me at a road bike with a frame of normal-sized tubing containing a removable 500 Wh battery that sells for under 1000€ I'm all yours. Otherwise I'll stick with my motorized Audax bike, that rode like a dream before and after conversion.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2023, 04:34:23 pm »
Front wheel kits don't appeal, something of the engineer in me doesn't like it.  I thought about rear wheel as the bike in question is 7 speed but then I saw that a mid drive conversion is not that much more.  That seems a better bet to me.

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2023, 08:53:41 pm »
If you can point me at a road bike with a frame of normal-sized tubing containing a removable 500 Wh battery that sells for under 1000€ I'm all yours. Otherwise I'll stick with my motorized Audax bike, that rode like a dream before and after conversion.

My club must count about 50% of the bikes as "VAE", the majority being conversions like yours. Most  are from Annad (the exception being our cyclo-cardiac member, who found cheaper!) but they don't come cheap, about 1400€ is list price with a decent size battery and a posh control unit. The others are a "moped style" integrated machine and a very expensive tourer with all integrated (although how much touring you can do fully laden, 6 bags plus the kitchen sink, before the batteries run out I will let others work out).
All the Annad conversions have given satisfaction!

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2023, 07:46:34 am »
I should have mentioned that it's worth looking at   https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/   - some good some, some bad, some distorted views on ebikes, both conversion and off-the-shelf machines.

. . . and to add my earlier comments, my research suggested that range for a conversion was frequently less than purpose built . .  although the way the bike is ridden, terrain etc has wildly different effects on battery consumption so data is unreliable.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:09:08 am »

My club must count about 50% of the bikes as "VAE", the majority being conversions like yours. Most  are from Annad (the exception being our cyclo-cardiac member, who found cheaper!) but they don't come cheap, about 1400€ is list price with a decent size battery and a posh control unit. The others are a "moped style" integrated machine and a very expensive tourer with all integrated (although how much touring you can do fully laden, 6 bags plus the kitchen sink, before the batteries run out I will let others work out).
All the Annad conversions have given satisfaction!

I can imagine.  The push from a rear-hub motor is very similar to riding with a following wind.  What I have is very similar to the Annad but costs about a third less and is possibly a bit lighter. Annad quote theirs as adding 9 kg whereas mine is about 7.5.

https://www.moteuretvelo.fr/fr/ if you're interested.  Web site's a bit amateur.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight