Author Topic: Why do rear mudguards always fail at brake bridge?  (Read 2820 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Why do rear mudguards always fail at brake bridge?
« Reply #25 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:27:44 am »
Leather should be waxed, greased or otherwise protected in a British climate. In California, not so much.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26 on: 13 September, 2023, 11:08:08 am »

Also, how thick is the mudguard? I would think anything less than about 1mm wouldn't be all that durable.

Just measured it at 2.0mm, 2 coats of plastic (can’t tell what type) with a thin film of aluminium foil sandwiched between.

Replacement just arrived from Spa, has a rear reflector on it which I’m minded to remove, just in case

Cheers, Hugh

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 13 September, 2023, 11:26:40 am »
A reflector weighs just a few grams and will strain the mudguard a great deal less than the Secula.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #28 on: 13 September, 2023, 12:30:21 pm »
Very true, have left it on & see how it goes

« Reply #29 on: 14 September, 2023, 10:56:34 am »
The instructions for fitting Portland metal mudguards says drilling a hole for direct mounting weakens it. They even sell a crimp on brake bridge bracket for direct mounting.

My suggestions:

use a brake bridge bracket or

direct mount:
make sure the surfaces around the hole are smooth to reduce stress risers,
use large washers, shaped to fit the mudguard curve, to reduce tension on mudguard
use rubber and/or leather washers to reduce vibration, although I would have thought rubber would be better.

« Reply #30 on: 14 September, 2023, 03:45:28 pm »
Oops, first time this has ever happened to me!

SKS Chromoplastic P-45 which had been on my Sabbath September AR-2 for about 1800 road miles and the rear mudguard broke on Sunday. I had added a B&M Secula battery operated rear light onto the back at about 800 miles which probably created much more stress. Several weeks ago I had to tighten the seatstay bridge screw as it had become really loose mid ride, maybe I did it too tight. I had thought of adding threadlock but this fracture beat me to it.

Have used SKS chromoplastics P-35 and P-45 with the same rear lights before on other bikes without a problem but the metal clips on the P-35 do wear the guards and have snapped in the past.

Will be replacing the guard but putting the rear light elsewhere .

Cheers, Hugh
I don't like the look of that weld.

Maybe (hopefully) it is just the angle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #31 on: 14 September, 2023, 04:03:01 pm »
Think it’s just the angle and dirt