Author Topic: Cassette lockring with more thread . .  (Read 1295 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Cassette lockring with more thread . .
« on: 19 September, 2023, 03:40:32 pm »
I have a customer's bike where he has managed to strip the first thread inside the freehub - thus the standard lockring (Ultegra 11T) doesn't start and can't be torqued up.

In my bits I had a Microshift lockring that's probably 50% deeper on the threads - with some gentle turning it found the good threads beyond the damaged one and then tightened up satisactorily.

As the lockiring belongs to one of my bikes I've just loaned it to him (and told him not to touch it!) - does anyone know where I can get a lockring for 11t sprocket that has more threads - probably about 6mm? 

Googling Microshift I can only find the item in the US with no UK postage option.     I guess the other option is to buy a cheap Microshift cassette and just use the lockring.

robgul

Re: Cassette lockring with more thread . .
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:45:42 pm »
Ah - I think I've just found the answer on ebay - but I'd be interested in any other suggestions.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2023, 06:16:22 pm »
I guess the other option is to buy a cheap Microshift cassette and just use the lockring.

Why not simply replace the damaged part - the freehub body?

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2023, 06:20:25 pm »
Disc rotor lockring? Same thread, isn't it?

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2023, 06:55:44 pm »
I guess the other option is to buy a cheap Microshift cassette and just use the lockring.

Why not simply replace the damaged part - the freehub body?

Ah - that was Plan A but we couldn't work out how to get the thing off - it's a fairly new Fulcrum 800 hub with thru axle - no YT video, no tech details on the Fulcrum website - no obvious flats/holes etc . . .  and I found that we could get a "longer thread" Microshift lockring for £4.00, delivered.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2023, 06:59:02 pm »

Yes it is the same as some types disc rotor BUT they are the same depth as the cassette lockrings so not enough thread to pass the damaged part - although it's irelevant these wheels has the external lock rings which work with the Shimano external BB tool.

... just had word that the ebay purchase has been despatched.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2023, 07:06:39 pm »

Yes it is the same as some types disc rotor BUT they are the same depth as the cassette lockrings so not enough thread to pass the damaged part - although it's irelevant these wheels has the external lock rings which work with the Shimano external BB tool.

Not irrelevant as you could use Shimano disc lock ring as cassette locking. The fact that campag/fulcrum use external disc l/ring is irrelevant.

Not sure it would work though, on reflection, as disc l/ring might foul the dropout because it sits more proud and has a bigger radius

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2023, 07:10:17 pm »
Does P11 of this PDF help?

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/area/download/download.php?tab=doc&rnd=bVYFlOdLdK&rnds=&rndc=1&rnts=1

We did see that - but despite it being an 800 hub the bit to remove "with pliers" wouldn't shift and appeared to be fixed inside the hub.  He's gone off with the temporary fix lockring - when the replacement arrives we're going to try putting the wheel in (soft jaws) a vice and seeing if we can get the cap off that way.  Although the fix works so  no need to spend on a freehub.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2023, 07:14:51 pm »

Not irrelevant as you could use Shimano disc lock ring as cassette locking. The fact that campag/fulcrum use external disc l/ring is irrelevant.

Not sure it would work though, on reflection, as disc l/ring might foul the dropout because it sits more proud and has a bigger radius

I think we may be at cross-purposes - . . . the Shimano disc rotor lockring (at least the one on one of my own bikes) is, by the look of it, exactly the same as the cassette lockring depth of thread - so not enough as described up-thread to pass the damaged thread in the freehub.  I've certainly interchanged disc and cassette Shimano lockrings in the past.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2023, 07:44:56 am »
https://www.hambini.com/product-category/wheels-hubs/

Useful to know but rather more than the £4 lockring on bay that's winging its way towards me!

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2023, 04:54:31 pm »
Huh!  the ebay locking ring, although Microshift and sold as "deeper" is no deeper than the normal Shimano ring.

I've asked Token for confirmation on thread depth as I've had conflicting reports on the actual size.    Bike still has my "extra deep Microshift lockring" installed so still on the road.

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2023, 06:44:06 pm »

robgul

« Reply #14 on: 26 September, 2023, 07:37:59 am »
might do the job or might not.
https://uk.edco.ch/products/lockring-ten-eleven

Hmm, it says it only works with "Monoblock" cassettes - have to say I can't see why unless it's to work with the smallest sprocket hanging off the end of the freehub - with the lockring providing suport (which if it was a loose sprocket would be dodgy)

I'll send the link to the bike's owner and see if he wants to spring the money . . .  when we found the ebay find didn't work he was considering a new wheel as the offender had quite a few miles on it.

« Reply #15 on: 26 September, 2023, 09:52:09 am »
Is it not time to revisit plan A, find out how to remove the freehub and replace that?  Or are you now saying the rim is toast?

robgul

« Reply #16 on: 26 September, 2023, 01:00:32 pm »
Is it not time to revisit plan A, find out how to remove the freehub and replace that?  Or are you now saying the rim is toast?

To say the bike owner is indecisive* is an understatement - the rim is fine, it's disc braked!   

* he does have pots of money to spend so a new wheel is a mere bagatelle!