Author Topic: Gear changer options  (Read 726 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Gear changer options
« on: 01 October, 2023, 04:00:23 pm »
Hi,

Over the past 10 or so years I have been through a few Campagnolo gear leavers. Veloce 10 speed lasted obout 4 years each and then I made the mistake of buying Potenza. Right had charger is about 15 months old and has a mind of its own. Sticks some times and jumps on its own others.

What are my options withot breaking the bank.

Camag Centaur shifters. Like for like change. Anybody experience of expected life?

Camag Record or Chorus. 12 speed and will need new cassette and dérailleurs. Cost at least £500 with Chorus. Changers £220, cassette £150, chain £50 and then the derailleurs oh well maybe £600.

Move to bar end shifters?

Change to Shimano or Sram? Complete set needed and by all accounts 11 speed will work with Camag cassettes. 105 would cost about £300. Shifters and derailleurs

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Gear changer options
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2023, 04:08:34 pm »
I run bar end shifters (with Shimano 7-speed and 8-speed) in friction mode and the shifting is flawless: I never miss a gear. Shimano Hyperglide cassettes are very well designed such that the sprocket teeth pull the chain onto the sprocket even if the derailleur is shifted off-centre.

So yes, try bar end shifters.

If you don't like them, you can always re-sell them to a time trialist.

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2023, 04:11:23 pm »
If you want to change, change now because the market has slumped and equipment is being heavily discounted.

I'd always favour Shimano over everything else, having used everything else.  Campag is becoming niche and starting to reteact from from the road market.

If its rim brake you'll find things even cheaper, especially if you shop around from different retailers.

£400 will get you complete 105 groupset with ultegra shifters

https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-r7000-105-11-speed-rim-brake-groupset-with-ultegra-shifters?utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjwseSoBhBXEiwA9iZtxkxv3mBnrIu9SIevapaA8fRZVYzzPYwpDt01_ILmqfIjErTjGTg7ERoCgVkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2023, 04:23:16 pm »
Various people will service Campag levers and Chicken sell just the bodies as spares - for you to transfer your levers etc.

Having said that I run bar-ends on one bike.

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2023, 04:25:18 pm »
Campag shifters can be serviced. No need to bin them. I've got two pairs of Centaur 10 speeds from 2006 still going. Both had their innards done after maybe 30,000 miles. Done many more miles since...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2023, 04:39:09 pm »
Campag shifters can be serviced. No need to bin them. I've got two pairs of Centaur 10 speeds from 2006 still going. Both had their innards done after maybe 30,000 miles. Done many more miles since...
There have been some generation changes and the Potenza cannot really be done. I had a pair of old ones that I changed to G springs multiple Times, when they disintegrated I made the mistake of buying new ones.

Been down hill eversince.

Steve

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2023, 05:05:58 pm »
For me that is the sweet spot, up to about 2010.  Metal innards, not plastic, many parts still available for rebuild.  I currently have one set of 10 speed Veloce and two sets of 10 speed Record.  Not long ago I sold a machine with10 speed Veloce.  Of those, I rebuilt at least one of Veloce and one Record.  Looking at the spares catalogues, it seems to me that Potenza has the plastic innards.

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2023, 05:31:28 pm »
I gave up with Campag a decade ago. I had to repair my Record shifters 3 times in 6 years. Ridiculous.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2023, 05:37:01 pm »
Even HK has given up on Campag, other than 10sp on her Roberts. Mostly Shimano nowadays.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2023, 05:47:39 pm »
I'm running 10s Campag.
Record (2016, used between May-September).
Chorus (rebuilt by Campag service centre in June 2023). This one originated from 2006.
Centaur (2017, bought as NOS).

I also have a NOS Veloce wrapped up in my spares box.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2023, 05:57:28 pm »
There have been some generation changes and the Potenza cannot really be done. I had a pair of old ones that I changed to G springs multiple Times, when they disintegrated I made the mistake of buying new ones.

Been down hill eversince.

Steve

Can you still service Centaur or is it just the high end with ultra shift?

Potenza apparently have plastic bits that cannot be replaced.

« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2023, 07:26:17 pm »
Even HK has given up on Campag, other than 10sp on her Roberts. Mostly Shimano nowadays.

I bet you are pleased. Changing bearings on Powertorque crank systems was ridiculous. Was the last straw for me. Shame really.

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:52:59 pm »

I bet you are pleased. Changing bearings on Powertorque crank systems was ridiculous. Was the last straw for me. Shame really.
I use Shimano UN52 bottom brackets and Spa Impact triples on my bikes.

« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2023, 09:53:56 pm »
Don't blame you. The Campag PT things were pure dogshit