Author Topic: Burst puncture patch???  (Read 436 times)

Burst puncture patch???
« on: 04 October, 2023, 12:02:26 pm »
Has anyone ever come across a puncture patch bursting?

I fixed a puncture on my SiL's bike yesterday. It had clearly been made by a spoke, and he had quite rightly replaced the rim tape, with one that fits really well and is seated perfectly. At that point he ran out of time and I took over when he left the bike with us. I chose to patch the tube, because the hole was a neat round one - with slits, I junk the tube.

However, it's gone down again. The patch has lifted somewhat (my miscalculation, I suppose that the hole is just that bit large and I should have replaced it). But there's a new, neat round hole in the patch, and absolutely nothing that could have made it. It's next to the valve over the first spoke, so definitely underneath and not something in the tyre. But it wasn't the spoke either, because the new rim tape is perfect in condition and fit (and covers the full rim width, no bits of tube poking down the spoke recess or anything).

So did the patch lift and then burst? Seems far-fetched - you'd expect a tear, not a large pin-hole. Never seen anything like it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Burst puncture patch???
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2023, 12:22:19 pm »
Tiny tube mice?

Never seen anything like it and it sounds especially unlikely if the patch is also lifting (and presumably therefore leaking). Are you 100% sure the spoke is not protruding at all? (Somebody with a decent explanation will be here soon.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2023, 12:28:04 pm »
Yes. I've just lifted the new rim tape, and what I took for a protruding spoke is just the edge of the spoke recess under the tape. Which means I'm also unclear what could have made the original puncture. But absolutely nothing is sticking through. I'm baffled. Going to have to make sure it's all clean put in a new tube, and see what happens.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2023, 03:55:46 pm »
If the original failure was a blow through the butyl gets locally overstretched and will never bond properly to any patch, and some tubes are worse than others for patches not bonding anyway.