Author Topic: Rear luggage  (Read 5725 times)

Rear luggage
« on: 15 April, 2008, 02:55:47 pm »
I'm contemplating getting the Brompton rear luggage. Does anyone have any experience of them? I currently have the front touring pannier, but it's not ideal for audaxing: it's larger than I need, it catches the wind, and stops me seeing my front wheel.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Rear luggage
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:25:04 pm »
Hiya Duncan!

*waves*

I'm planning on an audax later on in the season on my Brommie, just for shits and giggles.  I shall either be using my Carradice Barley, attached to the saddle loops on my (Brompton) Brooks or maybe my Carradice SQR saddlebag, attached to the seatpost.

If I do this, it means I can still flip the back wheel under to part-fold the bike, without having to take the bag off.

SJS sell the extra large loops for the SQR system block.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2008, 04:59:56 pm »
Hi Charlotte!

I was thinking about you this morning as I tried to get all the Invicta 200 grime off the bike. Maybe I should take it into the shower like you do yours...

Good point about being able to park. Is my telescopic seatpost going to get in the way of fitting either of those bags? You wouldn't think I'd have one, would you? I think Brompton think almost everyone is under 5'6"...

Cheers,

Duncan

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 09:03:38 am »
I do, as it happens, have one.

I don't have the extra large SQR clips as yet, but I've got one to "offer up" and check it out.

I have an extended seatpost, too (although not the telescopic one) so I'll have a quick look tonight and get back to you.  Or otherwise, if you're ever in the Ealing area, drop in for tea and crumpets and have a squizz at it yourself.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:13:20 pm »
My wife has one oredered along with her B.  Should be here this week, and we'll collect at the weekend.  Let you know how it goes. ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:19:37 am »
It suddenly occured to be yesterday afternoon that I could go and physically try some of these bags... My Brompton is now equipped with a brand new shiney (well, matt black...) Carradice Barley. I think I can probably get enough stuff in there for sunday's 200, and the quick release for the telescopic seatpost isn't in the way.

Mmmm crumpets :-)  I'll have to find another excuse to take you up on that offer, Charlotte!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:39:15 pm »
I have a Carradice Barley, too.  Lovely things, aren't they?

Hope to see you on an audax soon, Duncan.  Given enough notice, I'll bring crumpets along with me  :)

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:56:49 pm »
My wife has one oredered along with her B.  Should be here this week, and we'll collect at the weekend.  Let you know how it goes. ;D ;D

Well, Liz got her B + rack pack and it's very nice [envious].  Quite big and you can fold the rear wheel under when its attached (obviously ::-)), but  well made and quite spacious.

I'll post pics later.

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:38:44 pm »
I've got a rack top bag which I have used on Alice the Brompton, and I have found it rather irritating not being able to just swing the wheel under, normal Brompton style.

I suspect that if I didn't want to carry as much as the normal Brompton front bag takes, it may be possible to mod a bag frame to take a smaller bag, maybe some species of barbag.  I think I'd prefer that to having things hanging off of the seatpost or saddle.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:29:16 am »
I think I'd prefer that to having things hanging off of the seatpost or saddle.

I think there are all sorts of sizes of bags you can get for the front, aren't there?

I'm quite pleased with my current setup: Brompton touring pannier at the front, Carradice Barley at the back. The bike will still fold up with both attached, and to make the whole thing nice and small to get it in my car I can remove the saddlebag easily by just removing the whole of the top of the telescopic seatpost, complete with saddle and bag.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2008, 02:20:06 pm »
I think there are all sorts of sizes of bags you can get for the front, aren't there?

The last time I looked, I think all the Brompton front luggage was based on the same metal frame, which does make for somewhat wide, wind catching luggage.  I think that if I was making some smaller custom front luggage, I'd cut the frame down width-wise.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:04:24 pm »
Therear bag is made\ for Brompton by RAdical Design. I have a slightly "grey" import from the very early days.

IT is big and roomy, fitting to the rack with a loop that fits over the bung and a pair of straps which fit at the rear of the rack a buckle clipping underneath. Mine is elastic, but I believe the new ones have straps which alow tightening.

When riding, the bag is stable, providing anything heavy is at the bottom , if a one sided top heavy packing is used it has a tendency to tip to one side. Even then however it is still clear of the heels.

My only problem is that a non standard light interfered withthe rear strap, but tucking it behind the light worked.

In all it does not replace the excellent front bag on the T6, but on the S6 with the smaller front bag it helps with shopping and weekends away.

There was a distribution problem last year as Brompton embargoud Humbert and then weren't marketing them!

« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2008, 09:14:06 pm »
Forgive me........

I am only suggesting this as an idea

Any harm or damage to your bank account is your own problem.......

Carradice do a Brompton Bag for the front that matches the Barley!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:27:17 am »
Mmmmmm - ver' nice.  I think Bikefix sell 'em  :)

I'd just like to report that on my trip to Northern Ireland this weekend, I managed to get an SQR tour bag on the back of the Brommie and it didn't mess up the fold one little bit.  With the extended seatpost, the block won't interfere with lowering the post enough to lock the fold so theoretically, one can take the bike down with the bag in place. 

In practice, the SQR bag comes off so easily that there's no problem whipping it off to fold.  Besides, if you've not got a front bag on, too much weight in the SQR bag can cause the bike to tip backwards with the rear wheel folded under.

I also managed to test it out with the Barley on an SQR fixing and can also report that this is a fine solution for day rides.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:42:13 pm »
Carradice do a Brompton Bag for the front that matches the Barley!

Carradice make them and market them as Carradice simply because in the past the Brompton branded bags were made by Carradice; Brompton have them made elsewhere now.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2008, 03:11:14 pm »
Steve Parry adapts handlebar bags to fit the Brompton front block.  He often fits a bidon mount to the front block also.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...