Author Topic: Hot hot hot  (Read 3379 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Hot hot hot
« on: 08 February, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »
Oz drought vs. animal shyess:

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

alchemy

Re: Hot hot hot
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »
At least the little fellow is still alive. Goodness knows how many animals (both native and non-native) were killed during the bushfires over the weekend  :'(

And we never thought we would see anything like Ash Wednesday again  :'( :'(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:15:21 pm »
A friend of mine send me these ...

I truly am from a remarkable country!  And we have THE cutest animals (AND some of the most deadly - I know!) But I thought you would appreciate how cute this is...! At home in Victoria the temperature has been above 44  degrees all week and they are forecasting another week of 40+ temperatures.  Power is failing, trains have stopped running because tracks are buckling under the heat .  It's just scorching. and it seems that the people are not the only ones suffering.  Check out these photos of a little Koala which just walked  onto  a back porch looking for a bit of heat relief.   The woman filled up a bucket  for it and this is what happened!

North of my friend he have serious flooding and heavy rain and to the south of he got fire and dry.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

alchemy

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:20:11 pm »

I truly am from a remarkable country!  And we have THE cutest animals (AND some of the most deadly - I know!) But I thought you would appreciate how cute this is...! At home in Victoria the temperature has been above 44  degrees all week and they are forecasting another week of 40+ temperatures.  Power is failing, trains have stopped running because tracks are buckling under the heat .  It's just scorching. and it seems that the people are not the only ones suffering.  Check out these photos of a little Koala which just walked  onto  a back porch looking for a bit of heat relief.   The woman filled up a bucket  for it and this is what happened!

North of my friend he have serious flooding and heavy rain and to the south of he got fire and dry.

Ain't that the truth

1,000,000 square kilometres of northern Queensland is flooded, and at the same time, about 2,000 km to the south they've had the worst heatwave in their history.

Talk about a land of contrasts

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:23:43 pm »
Just put that in perspective the United Kingdom is 244,820 sq km (according to the https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html)

I do hope that they find the fella who have started some of these fires.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

alchemy

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:30:38 pm »
To give you some more perspective, the area that is flooded in Queensland is almost the size of South Australia, and the flooded area is about 60% of the states land area  :o

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »
Bush fires are part of the eco system, new life will spring forth from the ashes, we hope. I just hope its a weather event that is part of the cycle and not something triggered by us pumping co2 into the atmosphere...

alchemy

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:34:52 pm »
The bush recovers remarkably quickly but I doubt the people affected will do the same

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »
Awwh po' thirsty koala
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2009, 11:10:04 pm »

That is ridiculously cute.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »
Cute but also very sad.  :(
Aero but not dynamic

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2009, 04:11:57 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12 on: 11 February, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »
I did some work on Rottnest Islanda little over 10 years ago. There are thousands of little kangaroo like things called Quokkas who regularly invaded our houses looking for water. We would put apples out in the yard for them in the end, other wise they would get everywhere!

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2009, 12:09:00 am »
I did some work on Rottnest Islanda little over 10 years ago. There are thousands of little kangaroo like things called Quokkas who regularly invaded our houses looking for water. We would put apples out in the yard for them in the end, other wise they would get everywhere!

Ahhh Quokka Socca.

Damn things used to maim cyclists by getting under the wheels on moonless nights.  (No lights of course)

« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2009, 06:33:10 am »
I find these pics rather sad also, but heart warming in many ways.  Koalas are not stupid, far from it.  They are also right little aggressive buggers when they are happily watered !!  You cannot train a Koala to do that.  Stubborn as a mule.  They are smelly and solid little tykes but now I worry that some people will try and take advantage of their vulnerability and need for water and try and make them into something they are not.  Let us just hope that Koalas are indeed smarter than humans.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2009, 12:35:30 pm »
They are smelly and solid little tykes but now I worry that some people will try and take advantage of their vulnerability and need for water and try and make them into something they are not. 

Resisting the urge to say something about Australians  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:19:23 pm »
They are smelly and solid little tykes but now I worry that some people will try and take advantage of their vulnerability and need for water and try and make them into something they are not. 

Resisting the urge to say something about Australians  ;)

;D