Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 902504 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7225 on: March 17, 2021, 04:47:25 pm »
Need a new plan, lost 30kg in the last seven months, now struggling to lose the last few, ideally another 7.  I'm convinced that routine is the enemy of weight loss, I've tried a few diets and fitness programs and every one of them has worked for a while, then the effect has diminished as my body adapts.  Like others, the calorie counting says I should be losing half a kg a week, and I'm not :-[
What next?  5/2 intermittent fasting worked well to kick this off, but daily life is a lot more active at present so not sure I could cope with that, I've tried Keto a couple of times but it didn't suit me, when the gyms re-open I'm thinking of trying some HIT sessions, open to suggestions.

I think you are right there.

For cholesterol-reduction purposes, I went on a dairy-free diet for a while.
Was starving most of the time. Lost weight at a huge rate. Then suddenly, the weight loss stopped. I reckon my body had adapted to the new diet.

I'm exercising about 4 times a week. About 5-6hours.

Doesn't seem to make any difference to weight loss. Started reducing lunchtime portions and keeping snacking down.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7226 on: March 17, 2021, 09:34:26 pm »
If it starts to go back on, I will probably sign up for another programme, if not Noom, then the NHS version.
I signed up to noom, but didn't last the two week free trial period.  What's the NHS equivalent? Second Nature? I think that has some NHS involvement, I'm considering it.  Or something else?
As a calorie counter, I'm using Nutracheck, which is  very much UK based and simple enough to use, but it doesn't offer much beyond the counting and there might be better value alternatives . Are you using fitbit for calorie counting?

Wowbagger

• Sylph
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #7227 on: March 18, 2021, 12:37:17 am »
I'm using the Noom app for calorie counting. I'm trying to keep below 2000 a day, and that seems to be a good spot or me: I'm not snacking in the evening, which was always my downfall - other than a handful of grapes which are low-calorie anyway - and my weight still seems to be dropping slowly. I've hit a couple of plateaux along the way - I started about 19½ stones in July and by late November I was about 17½ stones, and remained there pretty much until after Christmas. Since January, I've lost another half-stone, approximately, and I still think I'm going down very slowly.

I have to say that this has been a lot easier for me to keep organised this time as firstly my son and his partner moved out, leaving just Jan and me at home. It's much easier to resist the temptation to eat extra when you don't buy the extra in the first place. Secondly, I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation - that was the trigger which started me off on Noom - and I've all but given up alcohol since. I really did enjoy a beer in the evening, but I'm out of the habit now and I'm not missing it. I have a few bottles of Clausthaler alcohol free (well, 0.4%) but I don't think I drink one a week of those.
Bach without a doubt.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #7228 on: March 18, 2021, 10:02:33 am »
Second Nature doesn't involve calorie counting or meticulous tracking (thank goodness), it focuses on meal composition and your attitude to yourself and your intake.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Wowbagger

• Sylph
« Reply #7229 on: March 25, 2021, 08:54:51 am »
I think I am going to sign up for Nutracheck, which works out at about £40 for the year. It’s app is basically a very slick calorie counter which has an extensive database of UK based bar codes. The Fitbit bar code reader just doesn’t seem to read UK bar codes - whether it would if I signed up for Prime I don’t know.

Meanwhile, I seem to have lost a kilogram this week, so March has been a good month for me. From now on I think I am in uncharted territory, at least in recent years - I don’t think I have been lighter than this since our children were small, and they are now middle-aged!
Bach without a doubt.

Wowbagger

• Sylph
« Reply #7230 on: April 01, 2021, 12:14:25 pm »
A little more off the waistline this morning. I still have some way to go before those smaller trousers become a necessity.
Bach without a doubt.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7231 on: April 05, 2021, 09:02:42 pm »
Reached my goal weight of 80kg this morning, having started at 94.2kg on 29 October.

As I am still above bmi 25 (currently 25.85) I have adjusted my goal down to 75kg as I think that will be enough. So another 5 to go, will hopefully be there by the time my wedding takes place - no idea when that will be, depends on paperwork and lockdowns...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #7232 on: April 05, 2021, 10:49:27 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well done.

Wowbagger

• Sylph
« Reply #7233 on: April 09, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »
Well done AH!

My first goal when I started in July was 17½ stone, a loss of a little over 2 stone from my starting weight when I joined Noom. I reached that in early December. I weighed myself at 16st 8lb this morning, so hopefully within a week I will have achieved goal no 2, 16½ stone. It's many, many years since I was lighter than that - certainly before 1990.
Bach without a doubt.

Wowbagger

• Sylph
« Reply #7234 on: April 22, 2021, 08:06:28 am »
My deal with Noom finished on Saturday. As it happened, the bits of the app I was most interested in - calorie counting and weighing myself - still worked until, pillock that I am, out of curiosity I pressed the “free upgrade” link that had appeared. That took me straight through the enrolment procedure and then offered me a free fortnight followed by >£40 a month!

I decided on the strength of that that I would stop calorie counting but, since my meals are largely repetition now, and I have counted those calories every day for months, that doesn’t matter much.

Breakfast - 150ml or thereabouts Waitrose orange juice with bits; porridge made with jumbo oats, oat milk and sprinkled with 10g chia seeds and a similar amount of muscovado sugar; 2 mugs tea with oat milk.

Lunch: ½ a jacket tater, carrots, parsnip/swede, cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli and protein: a couple of sausages, or a burger, or fish. We also have home-made chicken dhansak to an excellent Slimming World recipe, or occasionally veggie mince in the form of spaghetti Bol or shepherds pie. I think we are eating more fish than meat now. The main course is followed by a banana and one square only of Waitrose dark chocolate with hazel nuts. I might have a dessert spoon of yogurt or ice cream with the banana, but we make sure we buy only one tub on alternate weeks and when it’s gone, I do without.

For tea I have lettuce, tomato, raw pepper and possibly a couple of boiled eggs, or lean ham, or smoked salmon or a kipper. I have a slice of good bread (bread maker made using a mix of flours) and butter with this, and another slice with jam thereafter. Usually I have an apple and an orange. Sometimes I’ll have a 2-egg omelette with cheese and mushroom as the protein part, but I restrict this treat. It’s too fatty to have more than once every 10 days or so. I do love a good cheesy omelette.

In the evening I have a snack of a 10 grapes or so.

Throughout the day I drink quite a bit of tea and possibly a couple of cups of coffee, each time with oat milk.

I reckon that amounts to approximately 2000 calories a day. I have averaged almost 10k paces a day since the start of the year, and my current activity is such that I will be exceeding 10k average by the end of the month. I am also doing a little cycling, which I plan to increase after I have had my second jab and assuming that COVID restrictions aren’t strengthened again.

Bach without a doubt.

« Reply #7235 on: May 07, 2021, 07:35:47 pm »
I have mentioned, somewhere in this thread, that one of the factors causing the increase in weight of the population as a whole is that our built environment is a lot warmer than it used to be. Double glazing, central heating and insulated houses all help.
Yesterday I had a concrete example of this. MrsC and I were manning a voting station in our village hall and, due to Covid, we had to have two doors open all the time. The station is open 7.00-22.00, so cold at both ends of the day and being a village hall--they have their own laws of thermodynamics--it was colder inside than out even when the day was at its best.
For a normal working day, if I don't go for a run, I very rarely hit my 'move' calorie target on my Apple Watch. I find it fairly easy to get the 30 minutes of 'exercise' in though. Yesterday I was well over the calories, but the exercise score was only 17 minutes. The only real difference between yesterday and a normal work day (apart from the hours thank $DEITY) was the temperature.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."