Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300687 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1850 on: 04 August, 2011, 10:50:03 am »

- no white carbs, except spuds occasionally
 - less beer (more wine)
 - more protein instead of the white carbs
 - very rare sugary snacks

That's pretty much exactly what I've done, and had pretty much the same results- 114ish kg down to 97. Although I'm not as tall as you so I still have a long way to go.

Well done  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1851 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:38:47 am »
good work Toontra!  Are you going to try and get any lighter?

I may see if I can get down to 68, just out of interest really.  It's still within the BMI "normal" range so nothing to worry about, and I like the idea of offsetting some of the weight that will be in my rack-pack on the French ride.

Mike, you put it all into perspective.  You've lost about 30% of your body mass - that's pretty damned impressive!  I'm just fiddling about on the edges in comparison!

It's hardly more than a fortnight till the French ride. I'd not really bother to lose anything right now. As I posted upthread, it's easier to pedal an extra  half kg of fat across France than a whole bodyweight of unresponsive muscle.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1852 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:49:02 am »
Right, so are you claiming BMI doesn't apply to you personally?

I'm saying it's less useful.  What constitutes the border between healthy ideal and overweight is not in the same place as it was when I wasn't squatting 120kg for 5 sets of 5 three times a week (not to mention the other stuff).  The boundary is going to be somewhere a little different now that I, bluntly, have thighs that I can't pull some of my jeans over despite the fact they'd very happily button up around my waist (my waist measurement hardly having changed at all).  I still pay attention, but I worry less about it.  There was a point where I was gaining weight slowly but it was clearly almost all muscle, my body fat percentage was dropping and although the "squatters thigh/bum" thing takes a little getting used to at first, the increased strength and muscle on my shoulders/arms/back was something I was entirely happy about.  *Now*, though, because of a crappy home/work balance that's disrupted my routines and diet, I'm overweight and looking to lose 5 or 6 kilos and stabilise there.  As far as BMI is concerned, I'm back in the healthy range after losing just 1 kilo, so that's not much use (and, since I became concerned about my weight and knew I'd have to address it well before I went over a BMI of 25, it wasn't much use on the way up either).  So I'll be stopping where I feel good and confident about myself (and certainly won't be aiming for 22.0, since a BMI of 22.7 felt unhealthy).

It happens that the place I want to stop is in the normal range, but that's because I'm not planning to go much further with the strength training at the moment, just to maintain the strength gains I made.  Who knows, though, I may decide to go up a level and go for some more serious goals, in which case I can very plausibly see myself going over the magical 25.0 mark into being allegedly overweight while actually being healthy, fit and with a low body fat percentage.

I felt overweight when I was, according to BMI, safely in the normal range and yet felt unhealthily gaunt when I was allegedly still short of the supposedly ideal 22.0.  I don't believe I'm unrealistic about what weight and shape is good or bad for me.  No, I don't see the BMI as very useful to me.

Earlier, you talked about the skaters "still having a healthy BMI".  But what constitutes a healthy BMI for them is not the same as for someody the same weight but much less active.  It seems a circular argument to say it's a healthy BMI and look, they're healthy and they have this BMI and it's healthy because it's a healthy BMI and round about forever.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1853 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:51:52 am »
Why are you avoiding my question?  It seems to me that you don't want to admit that BMI applies to you because you don't like the truths it tells about you.  How about a photo with weight and height stats?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1854 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:53:18 am »
It's hardly more than a fortnight till the French ride. I'd not really bother to lose anything right now. As I posted upthread, it's easier to pedal an extra  half kg of fat across France than a whole bodyweight of unresponsive muscle.

I'm sure you're right Helen.  Maybe I'll loosen up on the abstemiousness for the next fortnight  :)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1855 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:58:25 am »
In the end I haven't lost anything for PBP. I started off at 84kg earlier in the year, intending to drop down to 76kg (like I did for LEL) but haven't. Still 84kg.

Luckily it's not a race.

I've got the rest of this week to push myself very hard and then two weeks of light recovery before the ride itself.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1856 on: 04 August, 2011, 12:00:33 pm »
Why are you avoiding my question?  It seems to me that you don't want to admit that BMI applies to you because you don't like the truths it tells about you.  How about a photo with weight and height stats?

I'm not avoiding the question at all.  I just told you I was overweight by the BMI standard *and* by my own (which you didn't actually ask), gave you quite a bit of personal information about my state and motivations, explained that I'm actually more strict with myself than the BMI requires of me.  Since you ask, I'm 173cm and was 75.5kg this morning.  I tend not to post that data only because there are people on this thread struggling with obesity who don't need to be burdened with my comparitively minor worries.

Forgive me if I don't go stand in front of the mirror with a camera and post it so that you can be even more of a cock than you're currently being.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1857 on: 04 August, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »
I just don't understand why you want to put down BMI when it's so clearly a good general guide, apart from its honesty over our weight.  It tells me I weigh more than I should too, but I accept what it's saying.  I feel that those dismissing BMI are largely looking for excuses about what it says.

I'm also not stupid enough to suggest that it's any more than a part of a health review, which would also include rather more than the fitness you fail BMI for not measuring.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1858 on: 04 August, 2011, 01:42:19 pm »
I don't question it's general usefulness for most people, given that most people are either relatively inactive but healthy or overweight/obese and struggling to impose any discipline.  I deeply resent the assumption that my attitude to BMI is caused by self deception and weakness.  It feels like an ad hominem attack to try to win an argument (very thoughtless in this thread, of all places) and very unjustified.  Having been obese and dealt with it, I was a rock stable 10 stone 10 for a couple of years, which only changed because I decided to pursue different goals (including both strength training and getting more serious about cycling).  I made those changes partly because I thought I'd become a little too focused on bodyweight goals; not panicking or obsessing when my weight changed a bit was an achievement.  Adapting to strength training without either losing good dietary discipline or panicking and obsessing was also an achievement; the fact that personal and work disruption messed that up was a huge annoyance but dealing with it calmly, and when I had the time, was important.  I don't post about my weight in this thread because I have no doubts about my ability to reach my goal, having now achived much tougher ones on a regular basis.

It's precisely because I am able to be disciplined and honest with myself about my weight and health that I don't find BMI very useful.  There's really no danger of my ever being obese again and I don't expect to see myself approaching a BMI of 25 again (I hope never to have the same nasty combination of personal and work circumstances and I'd be more prepared for it next time).  If I'm wrong about that last part, I know that I'll be concerned about it quite some way before BMI proclaims me overweight.  Conversely, I also remain convinced that 10 stone 5 is not a healthy goal for me.  At 10 stone 11, I never met anybody who thought I was anything other than slim, I felt healthy and looked good on it.  When I pushed lower, even people who'd only known ever the slim me became concerned for my health (OK, so my mum thought I was anorexic when I reached 11 stone but that's mothers for you).  I do not feel deluded in this, or in my decision to aim for a slightly heavier goal with a significantly different body composition.

In short, I expect to spend the foreseeable future thinking (if I think about the BMI at all) 'Still in the "ideal" range, still not at the "optimum" 22.0.  Now, how do I really feel?'

And that's my last word on this.  I feel insufferably smug just having typed the previous paragraph and never looked to be typing any such thing in this thread.

« Reply #1859 on: 04 August, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »
I do see where you're coming from, itsbruce, and my posts weren't intended as an attack or to behave "like a cock".  I'm sorry I come across like that, but it's nothing more than my innate bluntness and lack of diplomacy.  I find it deeply distressing when people dismiss BMI, especially with no justification, and I think it's very wrong to do so.  It's nothing more than honest truth, and that's the first thing that's needed when dealing with problems of any kind.  Honest truth eventually leads to acceptance and acceptance leads to dealing with the issue.  Suggesting that BMI is so wrong makes it easy to make excuses, and that's not helping anyone.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1860 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
No problem.  I was, I guess, being something of a pedantic cock myself ;)

« Reply #1861 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:24:01 pm »
I think the problem is that your average Joe sees BMI as a gauge of health, my Dad for instance would be spot on with BMI and yet he has more health problems than you can shake a stick at, most of them poor diet and lack of exercise related.

« Reply #1862 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »
I think the problem is that your average Joe sees BMI as a gauge of health
Or he's heard all the arguments and has decided that BMI is "all wrong" so thinks he's as fit as a fiddle despite carrying round an extra 10kg and wondering why he keeps getting a recurrence of an old leg injury (not me I hasten to add, I know I'm overweight and not as fit as I was two or three years ago)

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1863 on: 10 August, 2011, 02:49:39 pm »
looks like i'm unconsciously increasing my lard reserves before pbp..  5kg of extra weight to carry around - is not what i planned initially. too late to do anything about it now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1864 on: 10 August, 2011, 04:54:11 pm »
looks like i'm unconsciously increasing my lard reserves before pbp..  5kg of extra weight to carry around - is not what i planned initially. too late to do anything about it now.

I agree it's too late to do anything now!
I still doubt it's all lard though. Don't be surprised if you spend much of PBP pissing like a trooper even if you drink only small quantities of water.

How does your waist measurement compare to two months ago? How do clothes fit?

Good luck with PBP!

« Reply #1865 on: 11 August, 2011, 07:48:46 pm »

I may see if I can get down to 68, just out of interest really.  It's still within the BMI "normal" range so nothing to worry about, and I like the idea of offsetting some of the weight that will be in my rack-pack on the French ride.

Mike, you put it all into perspective.  You've lost about 30% of your body mass - that's pretty damned impressive!  I'm just fiddling about on the edges in comparison!

Helly, I will remember this epic quote of yours as I scoff blue stilton cheese with my choklit later  ;D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1866 on: 11 August, 2011, 07:53:32 pm »
Up and down and up and down and up and ...  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1867 on: 11 August, 2011, 09:55:13 pm »

Helly, I will remember this epic quote of yours as I scoff blue stilton cheese with my choklit later  ;D

Enjoy your food!
PBP is a massive metabolic demand.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1868 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:25:18 am »
In the last month I've lost 2.5 kg. I am happy chappy.

« Reply #1869 on: 17 August, 2011, 07:02:00 pm »
Keeping it steady around the 80 kg mark. I still need to keep a careful eye on things to keep it there, although I eat well.

« Reply #1870 on: 18 August, 2011, 11:50:05 am »
A week of YHA breakfast buffets has added ~2kg. A veggie full english, with triple helpings of eggs and mushrooms, plus 4 croissants... worth every bit of deprivation I'll endure to get back on track. Joined myfitnesspal, as the barcode scanner makes keeping a food diary a doodle. Plan on being back below 70kg before the MK600 on the 24/25th of September.

« Reply #1871 on: 22 August, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »
Noticing a pattern - easily below net calorie target during the week when I don't drink any beer, but utterly missing target when I do have beers on the weekend. I ride less at the weekend, which makes the target harder, but a couple or three beers Friday-Sunday (+attendant snacking) wipes out much of the gain during the week. Currently reading Krabbe's The Rider, and have been inspired to drop alcohol as well as caffeine until after (or possibly during) the MK600 in late September.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1872 on: 23 August, 2011, 12:24:07 pm »
Noticing a pattern - easily below net calorie target during the week when I don't drink any beer, but utterly missing target when I do have beers on the weekend.

Funny that.  ;D

Beer is by far the hardest part of weight-control for me. I can resist most things but I just like beer too much. I find the best policy is to focus on quality rather than quantity - if I want a beer of an evening, I'll open a bottle of the good stuff and sip it slowly (there's a rather excellent bottled beer emporium near home so I've usually got something interesting in the drinks cupboard). Water is for quaffing, beer is for enjoying.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1873 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »
i just cant have beer in the house..  I can resist wine and whiskey but if there's beer in the fridge, it must be drunk.  No willpower, that's always been the problem ;D

« Reply #1874 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:05:10 am »

Funny that.  ;D

Beer is by far the hardest part of weight-control for me. I can resist most things but I just like beer too much. I find the best policy is to focus on quality rather than quantity - if I want a beer of an evening, I'll open a bottle of the good stuff and sip it slowly (there's a rather excellent bottled beer emporium near home so I've usually got something interesting in the drinks cupboard). Water is for quaffing, beer is for enjoying.

d.

That worked for me, until I'd found myself deciding that a big bottle of Kwak counted as my 1 beer for the evening, and making regular visits to our local deli to top up on Grain Blackwood Stout.

i just cant have beer in the house..  I can resist wine and whiskey but if there's beer in the fridge, it must be drunk.  No willpower, that's always been the problem ;D

Yep. The mental cost of resisting it is too high. I've had the same policy with ice cream for a while - I can very happily devour a whole tub of Chunky Monkey in a sitting, which is how I got up to 97kg.