Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300766 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1925 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:23:51 am »
20lb in a month is mad. And probably not healthy.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jakob

« Reply #1926 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:43:13 am »
Down 1.5kgs, despite a 'break' in the diet, when we went on a road trip to Oregon. Annoyingly that break happened, just as I was stopping to be constantly hungry (and grumpy). Still eating *alot*, just no rice/grain/sugar/diary/alcohol.

Hardest part is cake-time time at work...especially today as it looks tasty and there's still pieces left!!!

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1927 on: 05 October, 2011, 01:26:33 am »
After spending most of the year not really putting much genuine effort into my weight loss plan, it's hardly surprising that my weight at the start of September was much the same as it was at the start of January. But I've stepped it up a gear since then and I'm now about 2-2.5kg lighter than I was at the start of September. Achieved this through a combination of lots of cycling and avoiding excess - haven't changed what I eat, just been a lot more careful about how much of it I eat.

Feeling really good on it too. :thumbsup:

Determined to keep it up, though I know it's going to get harder - I understand the first few kilos are the easiest to lose.

Plus the build-up to Christmas is always a tiring and stressful time at work, which won't help. And I expect cycling opportunities will be curtailed as winter kicks in…

Trying to take a philosophical approach - I probably won't reach my goal (to lose another 6kg by the end of the year) but as long as I can maintain some downward progress, I'll be happy.

d.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1928 on: 05 October, 2011, 06:00:04 am »
^^^^
that's a very S.M.A.R.T. philosophy.
Something similar worked for me a few months ago but I reverted to being a gannet took my eye off the ball & have regained most of what I lost. :(
Still,it does demonstrate that it can be done without a heavyweight ::-) approach to the issue.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1929 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:42:13 am »
I've managed to maintain the same weight I hit last week.  As it was a significant drop (1.5kg) I was worried about a bounce back up.

Seems the new routine is paying off.  I had tried skipping dinner, but with the commute this just wasn't going to happen.  Most weekdays I now skip lunch or eat very little.  I keep dinner portions small and try to avoid bread, pasta, etc.  This, combined with cycling on a more regular basis appears to be doing the job.

The hard part will come in a month or so as the temperature drops and nights grow longer - comfort eating will be a big temptation.  If I can drop below my current weight in the next week or so I'll feel confident in hitting my target before the end of the year (target date was August).  I would love to enter the holiday season with a bit of 'room to grow'.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1930 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:18:04 am »
Weight loss is still falling far short of the prediction. I'm sticking with a sensible 2000kcal a day during the week, but doing ~60km a day. Not finding myself especially hungry, possibly because I try to eat low calorie density foods and drink lots of water (got the idea from the Volumetric Diet). I continue to remain amazed at the discrepancy between the predicted weight loss and what I observe. According to the standard estimates, I should currently weight 65.8kg, having lost 6.2kg over the last 5 weeks. In fact, I'm 69.5 kg, and have lost 2.5kg. As I've said, I'm happy with the trajectory of my weight loss; just surprised at how far out the estimates are for me.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1931 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:14:50 pm »
i didn't commute last two weeks (been on jury service) and i found that i need much less food; in fact i've noticed that i can get through the day with few snacks and one small meal. quite unusual to me (and cheap too ;D)

citoyen

« Reply #1932 on: 05 October, 2011, 11:38:45 pm »
Weight loss is still falling far short of the prediction. I'm sticking with a sensible 2000kcal a day during the week, but doing ~60km a day. Not finding myself especially hungry, possibly because I try to eat low calorie density foods and drink lots of water (got the idea from the Volumetric Diet). I continue to remain amazed at the discrepancy between the predicted weight loss and what I observe. According to the standard estimates, I should currently weight 65.8kg, having lost 6.2kg over the last 5 weeks. In fact, I'm 69.5 kg, and have lost 2.5kg. As I've said, I'm happy with the trajectory of my weight loss; just surprised at how far out the estimates are for me.

I'm no expert but 60km a day on 2,000 calories sounds like pretty meagre rations. Perhaps you've just trained your body to slow your metabolism down?

Edit: ignore me, I've just realised my mistake, namely comparing your dietary needs to mine, when I weigh a good 10kg more than you.

d.

« Reply #1933 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
All these discussions about theory are all very well, but they're focusing on something we surely all know, pretty much.
Theories of weight loss are straightforward.

Calories in must be < calories out, and then you'll burn fat.

Everything else is refinements.

I don't have any problem with any of that.

My problem is, not eating. I just can't seem to do it.

There's lots of partial reasons why: I'm home all day; I can bake nice cakes; I'm bored; I don't drink enough; I ride enough to generate a huge appetite, but only after I've finished and am sitting on my arse; I have poor impulse control; I have a sweet tooth; I'm on a very limited budget and fat & sugar are cheaper than fruit, and bulky complex carbs are cheaper for a big family than protein; etc etc.

So if someone can come up with a magic solution for me to get some ability to say no, when faced with a morning of tedious chores and I fancy a peanut butter & jam sandwich, that'd be great, thanks.
Otherwise I'm going to need a whole wardrobe of new clothes I can't afford, as my 'weight loss' has gone into reverse.

« Reply #1934 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:58:56 am »
All these discussions about theory are all very well, but they're focusing on something we surely all know, pretty much.

I think there's more to it that that.  A lot depends on the type of calories you're eating, and my take is that sugary stuff like cake, bread, pasta cause insulin spikes that stop your body burning sugar.  Cut out as much sugar and wheat as you can for a month, eat more meat and veg to make up the numbers and so you're not starving and see what happens...

« Reply #1935 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:00:28 am »

I don't have any problem with any of that.

My problem is, not eating. I just can't seem to do it.

There's lots of partial reasons why: I'm home all day; I can bake nice cakes; I'm bored; I don't drink enough; I ride enough to generate a huge appetite, but only after I've finished and am sitting on my arse; I have poor impulse control; I have a sweet tooth; I'm on a very limited budget and fat & sugar are cheaper than fruit, and bulky complex carbs are cheaper for a big family than protein; etc etc.

So if someone can come up with a magic solution for me to get some ability to say no, when faced with a morning of tedious chores and I fancy a peanut butter & jam sandwich, that'd be great, thanks.
Otherwise I'm going to need a whole wardrobe of new clothes I can't afford, as my 'weight loss' has gone into reverse.

My answer when I'm in that sort of mood is to shove an apple or other fruit in my mouth, every time. True, you can eat a lot of apples to start with, but that quickly drops. Anyway, that leaves you eating something that is almost certainly better than a lot of other choices.

« Reply #1936 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:05:44 am »

I think there's more to it that that.  A lot depends on the type of calories you're eating, and my take is that sugary stuff like cake, bread, pasta cause insulin spikes that stop your body burning sugar.  Cut out as much sugar and wheat as you can for a month, eat more meat and veg to make up the numbers and so you're not starving and see what happens...

I couldn't afford to pay the electricity is what would happen, I think.

Bread & jam is cheap cheap cheap.

Meat & veg is not. Especially for 5 of us.

« Reply #1937 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:11:14 am »
If insulin spikes stopped your body burning sugar, then I'd be the fattest fat thing anywhere.  (diabetic on insulin).
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1938 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:12:58 am »
<whinge about having no willpower>

My answer when I'm in that sort of mood is to shove an apple or other fruit in my mouth, every time. True, you can eat a lot of apples to start with, but that quickly drops. Anyway, that leaves you eating something that is almost certainly better than a lot of other choices.

yes, but while the other stuff is available (and as I am not an island, it almost always is, and should be) I just can't make the right choices. My whinge is a weak-willed one.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1939 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:29:03 am »
I found the thing that worked for me was frankly ridiculous levels of official exercise. Spend 20 odd hours a week swimming, at the gym or in classes and a) you burn a lot of calories so the chips and cake matter less, b) you tend to be quite cheerful and so feel less need to comfort eat and c) perhaps most importantly, that's 20 odd hours a week when you can't stuff your face, since i never did find a way to scoff cream cakes either in the pool or on the x-trainer. Course that all went wrong when they closed my local pool/gym and life got in the way...

« Reply #1940 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:36:43 am »
I'm full of excuses today, so

I can't do 20 hours a week of official exercise-gym membership and swimming cost.
And although I could ride my bike for 20 hours a week it just makes me hungry. And, not to put too fine a point on it, I'm trying to stay off the bike as my arse is still recovering from PBP.

I want to not want to eat. How do you do that? (I'm aware there are drugs, but, they cost, and are not healthy.)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1941 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:41:32 am »
Indeed. Time and cost are 2 major reasons i no longer do it and am therefore approximately the size of something that could help arch clean her car. If you find an answer, do share!

« Reply #1942 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:57:17 am »
I'm full of excuses today, so

I can't do 20 hours a week of official exercise-gym membership and swimming cost.
And although I could ride my bike for 20 hours a week it just makes me hungry. And, not to put too fine a point on it, I'm trying to stay off the bike as my arse is still recovering from PBP.
I want to not want to eat. How do you do that? (I'm aware there are drugs, but, they cost, and are not healthy.)
All that except the PBP bit :-\

Indeed. Time and cost are 2 major reasons i no longer do it and am therefore approximately the size of something that could help arch clean her car. If you find an answer, do share!

And that too.

I like carrot sticks and apples, but once there is chocolate within reach (that is - at a shop within a mile) I'm rubbish.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1943 on: 06 October, 2011, 10:49:55 am »
There are no easy answers to boab's problem; the simplest would be for a job outside the home to materialise just like that. Less boredom when within reach of CAKE biscuits and other goodies. Employment doesn't just appear. :(

Making 'rules' might help, eg
'No food at the computer.'
'Carrot sticks are the only food allowed between meals.'
'No food at the TV.'

This is all somewhat pious if you're bored, peckish and stuck at home.

Potatoes can be your friend if you don't smother them with too much fat (or sugar - check how much ketchup you use).

« Reply #1944 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:01:06 am »
I'm also looking at This linked by DrMekon elsewhere.

I'll try Helly's roolz.
See how I get on.

« Reply #1945 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:37:00 am »
I'm also looking at This linked by DrMekon elsewhere.

I'll try Helly's roolz.
See how I get on.

If you have a kindle, and know how to do it, I'll lend you my copy of Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink - it's all about losing (and how we gain) weight automagically. Barbara Roll's book "The Volumetric Eating Plan" is also kick arse.

I appreciate how hard being at home is. I feel more hungry on a Sunday at home with the kids and no exercise than I do busy at work and doing 60km during the week. I'm working at home today, and have wanted to snack. Fortunately, I'm stocked up on popcorn for low calorie density snacking!

citoyen

« Reply #1946 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:37:42 am »
I want to not want to eat. How do you do that?

Drinking lots of water can help, up to a point. At least, it can take the edge off your hunger temporarily.

But I think it's mostly down to self-discipline… and I sympathise, I really do. I find it all too easy to just cut myself a piece of cheese to nibble on. 150 calories a slice. And I find crisps extremely hard to resist. Some PRs brought a huge box of Doritos into the office yesterday and before I knew what I was doing, I'd eaten two bags. 200 calories a pop. Sweets too - I can't open a bag of Percy Pigs without scoffing the lot. 350 calories gone in an instant. Biscuits and chocolate I can take or leave, but I would suffer greatly in a house full of cake.

d.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1947 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:46:44 am »

But I think it's mostly down to self-discipline
nail,hammer & head.
I find "dieting" ( a word used very loosely in my case) more difficult than giving up smokingI find hunger more difficult to accept than nicotene withdrawal.One helps to delay dying the other contibutes to it.
The fundamental problem is that the "in" hole is larger than the "out" hole.
I may have oversimplified the issue but you can't get away from the fact that more calories in than calories out = more lard.So unless you have an active job you need sexercise

« Reply #1948 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
I do not trust self-discipline. I spent 4 years doing a PhD looking at whether motivation can account for health behaviour change and a further 7 years trying to design and evaluate interventions using motivational models. Never been a good model in any of the trials I've worked on. It's true, if you can generate masses change in desire to achieve a goal, it can have a very small effect on health behaviour (there was a big meta-analysis done a while back). In contrast, using simple "If-Then" plans to generate new habits has a large effect on health behaviour. Note, boab doesn't want to stop eating cake, she wants to stop wanting to eat cake. Cake is lovely - how are you going to make her stop to want to eat it, particularly when cake is lovely now, whereas weight loss is boring now, and not particularly exciting later.

Apples and water work for me as an appetite supressant. Scoff the apple and drink a pint of water. I think the pectin means it makes a big gloopy blob in your belly that makes you full. Make the plan "If I am hungry, then I will eat an apple and drink a pint of water"

Ban yourself from baking caek. I put on 3kilos at the Seething 600, and it was all your fault. I'm not allowed alcohol until I hit my weight goal. When I do, I fully intend to manage my weight with the strict application of barley wine. Until then, nada. Make the plan "If I weight more than x, then I cannot bake cake".

Jam is like crack for me. I can eat half a jar with just a spoon. I'm not allowed more than 1 teaspoon a day and only on toast for breakfast.

Get absorbed in something. Take up arguing with right wing twats on a fox message board, or something. Idle minds need caek.

You have an android phone, right? install myfitnesspal (barcode scan the image below) and stick to using it obsessively. Ignore what it tells you you can eat mind - I've had to multiply the food allowance I earn through riding by .6 to make the numbers work. I believe long distance riders are too efficient for the calorie burn estimates for cycling.

« Reply #1949 on: 06 October, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »
Suggesting that it is all down to self discipline, and that if you can't discipline yourself you are a failure is a very common attitude and IMO at least 50% of most people's problem.

fboab asked how she could want to not want to eat? It's a reasonable question and one that is shimimed around by most dieticians as they have  a vested interest (economic or just intellectual) in the status quo.

An answer to the question (although, not necessarily for everyone) is NLP. That system says that you have a brain that runs on words and you can therefore use words to programme it. For me, the Paul McKenna book "I can make you thin" provided most of the answers to the question. There was one missing part which was when I relialised I was looking at myself as a fat person. Also, I was setting myself up for battles I was doomed to loose. Let me explain a little more. NLP says that the brain doesn't really understand negatives - look what happens when you tell a child not to run. To be most effective, you need to express your message as a positive (in the case of the child "Walk!"). In my case, working from home, I would often end up in a battle with the fridge door. No! I Musn't! I'd tell myself and inevitably...... Sound familiar to anyone? I replaced that with telling myself "I'm a thin person, thin people don't scavenge" and the battles fell away.

I did have the benefit of having learned NLP techniques before applying them to dieting, but the principle is the same - you CAN change the way you think, and therefore what you feel and do, if you really want to.