Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300894 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2000 on: 02 November, 2011, 11:52:01 am »
It seems reasonable to assume that pasta made with eggs provides more calories per gram than pasta made with water, but SW's advice looks bizarre to me - I don't see how that translates into being allowed to eat "as much dried pasta as you like". If anything, I'd have thought that the added nutrients from the eggs in fresh pasta would make it a better option than dried.

Anyway, as I think I've said already, I really don't hold with any diet based on cutting things out. (Big greasy guzzling bowl of spag bol lined up for lunch - good authentic British grub.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2001 on: 02 November, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »
It seems reasonable to assume that pasta made with eggs provides more calories per gram than pasta made with water, but SW's advice looks bizarre to me - I don't see how that translates into being allowed to eat "as much dried pasta as you like". If anything, I'd have thought that the added nutrients from the eggs in fresh pasta would make it a better option than dried.

Anyway, as I think I've said already, I really don't hold with any diet based on cutting things out. (Big greasy guzzling bowl of spag bol lined up for lunch - good authentic British grub.)

d.

err. Water evaporates. Eggs have less calories per 100g than wheat so if it was going to make any difference, weight for weight, it would reduce the calories.

citoyen

« Reply #2002 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:35:44 pm »
err. Water evaporates.

Have you ever cooked pasta? ;)

Eggs have less calories per 100g than wheat so if it was going to make any difference, weight for weight, it would reduce the calories.

I did wonder about that but am working on the completely unfounded assumption (ie guess) that the quantity of wheat flour for a given weight of cooked pasta is the same whether it's made with eggs or water.

If you're right and there are fewer calories in egg pasta, that just makes SW's reasoning even more bizarre.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #2003 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:39:29 pm »
OK, just found this: http://thebalancedplate.wordpress.com/2008/04/07/fresh-pasta-v-dry-pasta/

Nutrition Facts:  Cooked, 1 cup serving

Homemade Fresh Pasta    vs.  Dry Pasta

Calories:          184       -     224
    Protein:           7.5 gm     -     8.2 gm
    Total Fat:         2.5 gm     -     1.3 gm
    Saturated Fat:    0.6 gm    -     0.2 gm
    Cholesterol:      58 mg     -     0 mg
    Total Carb:        33 gm     -     43.8 gm
    Sodium:           118 mg     -     1 mg
    Fiber:                2.8 gm     -     2.6 gm

So, assuming these figures are correct, there are fewer calories overall in egg pasta but more saturated fat. Maybe that's the difference as far as SW are concerned? Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Of course, these figures are based on a volume measurement (cups), so don't answer the question about calories per weight.

d.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2004 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:55:12 pm »
I think its the fat content SW are trying to get you to avoid. From what I can work out SW is essentially a low fat low sugar diet so nothing original there. What we like about it is the ease with which it can be followed.

Jakob

« Reply #2005 on: 02 November, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »

So, assuming these figures are correct, there are fewer calories overall in egg pasta but more saturated fat. Maybe that's the difference as far as SW are concerned? Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Less carb, more fat?. Slightly puzzled by the protein %....I would have thought it would be higher in the fresh pasta.
Also, if you go along the zone/paleo principles, then sugar bad, fat (in moderation) good and they consider any grains being almost as bad as sugar.

citoyen

« Reply #2006 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »
Also, if you go along the zone/paleo principles, then sugar bad, fat (in moderation) good and they consider any grains being almost as bad as sugar.

Meh. Paleo-schmaleo. Any diet that excludes beer on the basis that cavemen didn't drink beer is automatically not worth considering.* (By the way, what was the life expectancy of the average caveman?)

If the SW system is based on helping you get a balanced, varied diet without too much fat or sugar, then it's probably quite sensible. And helping you choose foods containing the "good" unsaturated fats rather than the "bad" saturated fats is no bad thing either. But rules like "no fresh pasta" just sound a bit silly to me. YMMV.

d.

*Yes, I'm aware that some versions of the paleo diet make allowances for modern inventions such as alcoholic beverages but I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2007 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »

If the SW system is based on helping you get a balanced, varied diet without too much fat or sugar, then it's probably quite sensible. And helping you choose foods containing the "good" unsaturated fats rather than the "bad" saturated fats is no bad thing either. But rules like "no fresh pasta" just sound a bit silly to me. YMMV.

d.

Thankfully there are few silly rules and on the whole SW is very easy to follow. 

The fact is that the vast majority diet regimes will result in you loosing weight if you stick at them.  This is where some members of this household (no names  ;) ) have struggled in the past.  As SW is simple, largely faff free and not too stringent its being stuck at (thus far) and results are being achieved  :thumbsup: but there is some way to go yet.

« Reply #2008 on: 03 November, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »
Slimming World had a big bag with two stone in weight in it.I picked it up and thought how easier my cycling would be if I could get rid of that much by April.

Chris S

« Reply #2009 on: 03 November, 2011, 03:17:30 pm »
Slimming World had a big bag with two stone in weight in it.I picked it up and thought how easier my cycling would be if I could get rid of that much by April.

That kind of thing is always an eye-opener. I lost 10Kg over the winter and early part of this year, and whenever I carried a 15Kg bag of heat-logs into the house, I was reminded just how much harder it is to carry extra weight around. If nothing else, it just makes you perpetually tired.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2010 on: 03 November, 2011, 03:24:58 pm »
I agree. At the beginning of the year I was a stone heavier and a 75 mile ride in February was quite an effort.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2011 on: 03 November, 2011, 06:52:19 pm »
Thus far I have lost 1 stone 10 lbs with SW.

Jakob

« Reply #2012 on: 03 November, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »

Meh. Paleo-schmaleo. Any diet that excludes beer on the basis that cavemen didn't drink beer is automatically not worth considering.* (By the way, what was the life expectancy of the average caveman?)

Oh, I don't buy the whole 'caveman' thing either, but I there's an increasing amount of indicators that modern grains might not actually be all that good for us.

« Reply #2013 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:14:23 pm »
A week in Catalonia has done me no favours in the weight department, so I have to get back on the straight and narrow.
I have managed, in a week, to lose just about everything I put on in the week away, which is a start I suppose.
Spreadsheets with Weight Watchers Pro Points values are being fettled.   :(

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

« Reply #2014 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »
I'm making steady progress towards my weight target, which is good, but I suffered the consequences this morning of paying too much attention to the numbers and not enough attention to what my body is telling me - as in not having a second helping of dinner last night, despite still feeling slightly hungry, because I was worried about going over my daily limit.

So, despite having a big bowl of porridge for breakfast this morning, I started to feel the symptoms of The Dreaded Bonk on the short ride from the station to the office, and by the time I reached work, it was developing into a full-on whitey. Not pleasant.

Lesson learned - I ate my packed lunch as soon as I got to work, and have just had a substantial proper lunch - special of the day in the staff canteen: cheeseburger and chips! Sod the numbers!

d.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2015 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »
Healthy attitude, there. I worry about the focus in this thread, sometimes. There's a fine line, in places, between the behavior of the active/athletic person monitoring their weight as an aid to their efforts and that of the anorexic. Sometimes people cross that line quite unwittingly.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2016 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:47:27 am »
Same here, not counting numbers at all. And eating/drinking what I fancy.
15st1lb this morning, next week I hope to be under 15st for the first time in about 20yrs  ;D ;D

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2017 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:09:49 am »
That'll be some milestone!
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

« Reply #2018 on: 11 November, 2011, 10:59:50 am »
next week I hope to be under 15st for the first time in about 20yrs  ;D ;D

Good work!

I'm now under 12st for the first time in something like ten years, but then my peak was only around 14st. But I did get a comment yesterday from a female colleague about how svelte I'm looking. Which is nice.  :smug:

d.

jimbhoy

« Reply #2019 on: 11 November, 2011, 11:01:43 am »
next week I hope to be under 15st for the first time in about 20yrs  ;D ;D

Good work!

I'm now under 12st for the first time in something like ten years, but then my peak was only around 14st. But I did get a comment yesterday from a female colleague about how svelte I'm looking. Which is nice.  :smug:

Well done, can i ask how long it has taken you to drop form 14st to under 12 ?

d.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2020 on: 11 November, 2011, 11:13:57 am »
Was 15st this morning  :thumbsup:
Thinking about it, it's about 15yrs not 20.
Even so I'm still pleased about it  ;D  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #2021 on: 11 November, 2011, 11:56:14 am »

Cheers - it's taken me the best part of two years, although I've lost nearly a stone since the start of September, which is when I started taking it a bit more seriously. Long-term target is 70kg (about 11 stone).

d.

jimbhoy

« Reply #2022 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:04:00 pm »

Cheers - it's taken me the best part of two years, although I've lost nearly a stone since the start of September, which is when I started taking it a bit more seriously. Long-term target is 70kg (about 11 stone).

d.

When you say you started taking it more seriously, do you mean more cycling or was this through other forms of excercise ? A lot of questions i know, but i used to be 12st 8 now at 14st 5 after quitting the fags, and can't seem to shift anything despite more cycling.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2023 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:09:22 pm »
I know lots of people who are proper chunky monkies despite cycling loads. My own experience suggests you need to change the way you eat as well as clock up the miles.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2024 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
Change your relationship with food; learn to love it and stop treating it like a cheap date.