Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300870 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2650 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:26:00 am »
Good effort!

« Reply #2651 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:34:52 am »
We took the dog to the New Forest this weekend. I ate a fair amount of very bad food (chips! Scones with clotted cream! Eggy bread! More chips!) and didn’t update MFP at all because the internet/3G connection in our B&B was extremely slow and annoying. However, we walked around 12 miles altogether through rather ‘challenging’ terrain (there was a lot of thick clay grabby mud and my boot got stuck/came off a couple of times, plus there was much clambering over fallen trees and jumping over streams/ditches – at times just staying upright was a challenge). I actually feel so shattered from our ‘relaxing’ weekend away that I’ve cancelled my spin class this evening, which I feel bad about, but there is very little point in me going and sitting there twiddling with the resistance turned right down because I feel so tired.

My ultimate goal is to keep my weight roughly where it is (suspect this won't be happening after this weekend ) and be reasonably fit in time for a camping tour in the summer; we are being joined by my brother-not-in-law and while he knows that it won’t be a speedy tour, I don’t want to be a massive ball and chain either as he is used to cycling in hillier terrain than I. So if I do lose a bit more, that will be a bit more I don’t have to haul up hills along with my camping stuff.

« Reply #2652 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:37:32 am »
OK, this has GOT to stop!!
Not entered a weight for a couple of weeks as i've been away with work/holiday/general mayhem.
I've posted early this week as i shall be in London for a bit and wont be able to weigh on the home scales to keep things consitent.
The plain truth is that i need to get my diet back on track. Although the weight has remained steady(ish), it really needs to be going down.
I've become pretty lazy about keeping to the diet. Stupid really because when i was on it i felt great and all of the numbers were heading the right way. I think that i've become a bit complacent & let things go.
In a moment of weakness, i had a glass of wine. Something I'd sworn that i wouldn't do.
I've got an appointment on Friday with the diabetic nurse. I'll be interested to see how the test results come back.
I wouldn't be suprised if they are OK, but i don't want OK having made such big improvements initially. I know its bound to plateau at some point, but i don't honestly think that i'm at that stage yet.
Equally, it wouldn't suprise me if things aren't as good as the last check up 6 months ago and i get a bollocking!!
Thanks for indulging a rather self obsessed post, but I wanted to get my thoughts out.
Stay Hungry!!

« Reply #2653 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:49:01 am »
Nothing wrong with writing it down. I find it helps as you are committing to something then.

« Reply #2654 on: 20 February, 2012, 02:29:14 pm »
Down 1.5kg since my last weigh in - a week of flu. I feel weak as a kitten.

« Reply #2655 on: 20 February, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
Down 1.5kg since my last weigh in - a week of flu. I feel weak as a kitten.
I've been thinking of hiring you- all that calorie-burning cleaning. You could come on over to Suffolk and get a Great Burn in my house ;)

« Reply #2656 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:56:36 am »
Yes, does anyone want to do my cleaning?

24 miles and body pump before work this morning. I meant to weigh myself but I forgot. Have had my porridge with fruit and protein for breakfast but still hungry. I guess we need to be hungry sometimes. Ate quite well yesterday, but I reall struggle with less than 2500 calories. I'm not going to lose weight on that :(

Have spinning at lunchtime, 45 min circuit class after work and an 11 mile cycle home. Soup and salad for lunch. No idea what dinner is but have bought in some healthy snacks.

« Reply #2657 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:01:56 am »
Yes, does anyone want to do my cleaning?

24 miles and body pump before work this morning. I meant to weigh myself but I forgot. Have had my porridge with fruit and protein for breakfast but still hungry. I guess we need to be hungry sometimes. Ate quite well yesterday, but I reall struggle with less than 2500 calories. I'm not going to lose weight on that :(

Have spinning at lunchtime, 45 min circuit class after work and an 11 mile cycle home. Soup and salad for lunch. No idea what dinner is but have bought in some healthy snacks.
Sounds like you are doing too much. You need quite a lot of carbs to maintain that level of exercise and not wear down. I find even my 9 mile commute in the evening is a struggle if I just have salad for lunch - I either have soup and bread for lunch or pasta and the pasta is better.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2658 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:06:56 am »
I seem to have fallen off the mini-plateau I was on earlier in the month and things are heading in the right direction again. This is probably associated with the fact that the past week has seen me return to some decent milage.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2659 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:12:37 am »
I do have quite a few snacks though- in the afternoon I tend to have a piece of fruit or 2, a yoghurt and half a protein bar (have other half in morning) Sometimes I also have a slice of malt loaf before the cycle home. That's 300-400 cals of snacks in the afternoon which should be enough I think? It needs to keep me going until about 8pm when I have dinner.

In the morning I have half a protein bar as a snack. I break up my lunch so I have salad before spinning and soup after.

« Reply #2660 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:15:00 am »
Thats good news Wowbagger :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2661 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:15:44 am »
Well done, that Wow! :)
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2662 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:34:22 am »
Lady Cavendish, from what you list you are eating it doesn't sound like very much to me. I'm on about 2500 calories per day (doing about 900 calories of exercise a day) and seem to be eating very heartily - main meals and snacks. I don't feel hungry and I often end up with several hundred spare calories at the end of the day. I wonder if some of your food is very energy-dense (protein bar) so doesn't fill you up, whereas I am eating a lot of low-energy foods (vast quantities of vegetables with my main meal) which make me feel full but aren't eating too much into my calorie allowance.

I was going to have a piece of flapjack the other day but realised how many calories it is for a small piece. No thanks, I'll have something less calorific instead!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2663 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:39:38 am »
Hmmmmm. Maybe. Well the protein bars I have are homemade and work out at 250 cals each for 27g protein. I eat half in morning and half in afternoon- I find the 125 cals more filling than if I have a cereal bar which are normally sugary rubbish.

My salad I have in the morning is great, like you say, its a big bowl that fills me up for hardly any calories, and I love salad. My soup tends to be about 300.

My biggest downfall is that I try and keep back 1000 for the evening, I think my eve meals (cooked for me) are normally in the region of 800.

« Reply #2664 on: 21 February, 2012, 10:55:45 am »
Ordered a fancy body composition monitor off the net.

My main problem still is snacking.

I just have to stick to 3 meals a day and no snacking. Just have to use the willpower that will get me up a hill drenched in sweat, heart rate going through the roof, feeling dizzy from exertion, to not go to the vending machine downstairs to get a bag of crisps everytime I'm peckish.

« Reply #2665 on: 21 February, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
I've been good today. Also pancakes are much healthier than I thought (only have them with lemon)

So I'm going to have some soup for lunch as well.

Run tonight which should put me well within my calories (1580) for the day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2666 on: 21 February, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »
There Will Be Pancakes Tonight.

Fact.
Getting there...

« Reply #2667 on: 21 February, 2012, 12:27:08 pm »
Also I'm wondering if my 1580 calories are too low for me. I haven't really felt dizzy or anything but long term effects are worrying.

For info I'm 6 ft 2 and weigh 81kg (as of Sunday)

My target is around 75kg.

« Reply #2668 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:00:35 pm »

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2669 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »
1580 calories... 6 ft 2 and weigh 81kg

What's your target rate of weight loss? I'm guessing from those figures it's something like 1.5-2lb a week, which would be difficult for anyone to maintain. If you're struggling, maybe try reducing it to 1lb a week - you won't reach your target as quickly but you might find it easier to maintain the self-discipline to stick to the regime in the long run.

Also, listen to what your body is telling you and don't get too obsessed with the figures - if you're hungry, for god's sake eat something.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2670 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »
My target is 1.5 lbs a week net calories per day of 1,580 which is before any exercise. On the days I exercise I tend to eat a few of the calories back depending on the exercise.

My usual calories on a day is 2,330 which means I've created a 750 calorie deficit per day = 5,250 per week.

I don't actually feel that hungry (stomach must be getting smaller) and last night I barely managed to finish my evening meal. I'm mentally struggling to break past the 80kg mark, have hovered around it and gone up a little but not broken through it yet, I'm hoping this weekend I'll be through it, or at least very, very close to it.

trixie

« Reply #2671 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
I'm increasing my daily calorie intake from 1400 to 1600 (before exercise).

I am feeling devoid of energy - which just won't do.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2672 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:20:45 pm »
I don't actually feel that hungry (stomach must be getting smaller) and last night I barely managed to finish my evening meal. I'm mentally struggling to break past the 80kg mark, have hovered around it and gone up a little but not broken through it yet, I'm hoping this weekend I'll be through it, or at least very, very close to it.

If you're coping OK on that regime, by all means carry on with it. The weight will come off sooner or later. But do bear in mind that you don't need to lose any weight - you're already in the "healthy" range for BMI.

I'm increasing my daily calorie intake from 1400 to 1600 (before exercise).

I am feeling devoid of energy - which just won't do.

Sensible.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2673 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »
I'm aware I could do with losing a few more KG I'd be happy at 75ish which means I don't really have that much too lose, 76.5KG is 12 stone, which means I've got under a stone to go.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2674 on: 22 February, 2012, 06:23:35 am »
Dropping weight at a steady pace, down 15 kg since Jan. 1 and sticking to my diet : 2300 Kcal/day and plenty of vegetables.  :D :D