Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300369 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2875 on: 20 March, 2012, 02:41:23 pm »
My fingernails seem to be getting rather splitty and weak - is that a side-effect of dieting? I'm still getting loadsa calcium, but perhaps it's not that.

Nail strength isn't just about calcium, you need keratin too. Is your hair condition deteriorating too or just the nails? Worth looking at this for ideas: http://www.livestrong.com/article/270792-keratin-rich-foods/

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2876 on: 20 March, 2012, 03:36:41 pm »
Well my hair is always fab of course, but at the moment I am washing it in Head & Shoulders (no, I don't have dandruff - hairdresser recommended it to strip out the last of the semi-permanent red/brown colouring) which is clearly crap shampoo for general hair look so I use 'normal' shampoos once a week and it's lovely and shiny and soft again.

Thanks for the Livestrong link, Feline, but it looks as thought I'm consuming a lot of the relevant foods for Keratin. So perhaps it is dry air or perhaps - horror of horrors - it's because I'm turning in to an old bat, at least a slightly thinner version than before.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2877 on: 20 March, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »
I've had a recurring problem with one of my nails splitting but at the moment it seems OK. I'm certain that my calcium intake is high as I take chalk tablets to deal with osteoporosis. It's what my body is doing with it that seems to be the problem.

My hair, of course, is the envy of all the girls.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2878 on: 20 March, 2012, 04:05:41 pm »
My hair, of course, is the envy of all the girls.

You have some strange girls down sarf, if they are jealous of you looking like Santa
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2879 on: 20 March, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »
slpit nails is cured by more nookey :)

essexian

« Reply #2880 on: 21 March, 2012, 06:16:57 am »
No weight loss for the third week running. Well at least I haven't put any on but overall, disappointed with myself.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2881 on: 21 March, 2012, 06:34:36 am »
No weight loss for me, either.  I don't understand it, really.  Last week I had a large loss, despite it having been a mediocre week.  This week, I've been under my calories by a decent margin, and I had a big ride at the weekend, but static, for the third time this year. ???
Getting there...

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2882 on: 21 March, 2012, 07:11:14 am »
Fluctuations clarion. Dont worry about the point value, look at the trend.
You were probably a little under hydrated last week, but the 2 week loss is still a good value.

« Reply #2883 on: 21 March, 2012, 07:21:07 am »
that or not eating enough and your body is in 'starvation' mode, refusing to give up any 'stored energy'.  Eat more! :)

jimbhoy

« Reply #2884 on: 21 March, 2012, 07:26:50 am »
March is obviously plateau month for me, 3rd week and still no loss. It's bloody frustrating !

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2885 on: 21 March, 2012, 08:30:43 am »
Another "no change week". Something needs to change to generate a downward trend.I might try riding my bike more often  ::-) & skipping the midnight snacking :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2886 on: 21 March, 2012, 08:51:54 am »
I had a couple of bad days in the past week when I definitely ate more than I should have done, although I maintained my "Fruit only between dinner and bed" rule. I thought a couple of days ago that I was going to record an increase, but in the end I was quite surprised by the scales. The range this morning was between 108.7 and 110.1 but in the end they settled on 109.4 and four times in a row told me that's what I was.

I'm quite relieved that during what I thought was a bad week I still lost 300g.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2887 on: 21 March, 2012, 08:56:21 am »
That's good Wowbagger. :) On the other hand, I've not had a particularly bad week and gained 800g. Oh well, it's the first gain this year :-\.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2888 on: 21 March, 2012, 08:59:53 am »
that or not eating enough and your body is in 'starvation' mode, refusing to give up any 'stored energy'.  Eat more! :)

;D  If I end up a long way under the calories, I do try to eat a bit more to narrow the gap.  But I don't think eating more would be a productive move overall ;)
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2889 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
No real change, which considering how much comfort eating I did when I was ill is not that surprising. Need to work harder at it now :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2890 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:56:42 am »
Clarion, you've lost 2.2kg in three weeks. That's good progress.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2891 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:02:01 am »
I’m almost at maintenance now so not bothering with MFP so much but when I was losing weight I used to have a day or two each week where I’d go slightly over (it would look like a spike on on the MFP graphs); this had the advantage that it stopped me going mad and also seemed to stop my body getting too ‘used’ to a lower calorie diet (I was well under most of the time) and adjusting my metabolism accordingly, because I never really plateaued much (and as I had relatively little to lose, I was probably more likely to plateau than some). You do have to make sure you’re under the majority of the time, obv.

Having said that, I did have an almighty hormonal sugar binge at the weekend. We had just done 7 miles of walking Cam to Allypally, to look at the views, so I hope it didn’t do too much damage. I sometimes think I have as much of a problem with sugar as some people have with alcohol…

« Reply #2892 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:39:41 am »
Static again for the third week in a row.
There has been some silly eating and drinking in this time, so I'm not too upset, and I do feel rather 'trimmer' than I was.
However, I am probably going to be working away from base for most of the week for the next few months which will mean less cycling and more bad eating.  I may be asking for advice around that.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2893 on: 21 March, 2012, 12:35:42 pm »
I had the munchies most of this week and consequently have failed to crack the 60kg barrier yet again. Lesson learned ... don't buy a 12 pack of Cadburys Creme Eggs and expect to be able to make them last more than 3 days  :facepalm:
I was thousands of calories under for the week though, hence not gaining despite being so bad. I think that for me it is as important what makes up my calories and when as how many I eat overall. If I don't lose more between now and the easter arrow I might go on the chicken breast and salad/green veg only diet for a week which is pretty much guaranteed to give me a kg a week drop so long as I don't drink wine with it!

Simonb

« Reply #2894 on: 21 March, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »
No change here. Still over-worked but have come to the end of a silly-big project, and have three weekends of Audaxing coming up.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2895 on: 21 March, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »
I had the munchies most of this week and consequently have failed to crack the 60kg barrier yet again. Lesson learned ... don't buy a 12 pack of Cadburys Creme Eggs and expect to be able to make them last more than 3 days  :facepalm:
3 :o how do you make them last 3 days?

I’m almost at maintenance now so not bothering with MFP so much
We know! It told us to encourage you! ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #2896 on: 21 March, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »
58.8 kgs after my 200 today, but I eat like a pig most of the time...

I get tremendous hunger urges in the day or two after long rides such as the 400 last Saturday (21 hours of riding straight through more or less) or weekends where I do 600 or more over three days, and no matter what I eat, my body seems to burn through it - HOWEVER after a couple of days the cravings stop, and I have to work quite hard not to carry on eating for England !!

Maybe I've got worms?   :o
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

simonp

« Reply #2897 on: 21 March, 2012, 10:09:16 pm »
New gluttony PB today. 5000 calories.

« Reply #2898 on: 22 March, 2012, 08:41:09 am »
New gluttony PB today. 5000 calories.

Lightweight.

Oh...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2899 on: 22 March, 2012, 09:15:08 am »
I can take my too-small-at-christmas jeans off without undoing the button.  I may have to buy a belt.