Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300804 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3000 on: 29 March, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »
The past two days have been a salutary lesson in what happens when I let up. Tuesday was Dez's birthday and we had take-away curry and, even though Mrs. Wow and I shared stuff we might well have had one each of previously (onion bhaji, nan bread) I still ate too much.

Yesterday involved absolutely no cycling, about 120 miles of driving, some lovely fresh bread at lunch time in which I over-indulged, and another curry, home-made this time, in which, again, I over-indulged. And beer - 2 pints.

The result is that the lowest the scales would reluctantly allow was 109.7kg, but mostly 110.3kg. Given that, on Tuesday morning I couldn't make them go above 110 and they settled, eventually, on 108.8, that shows that I've gone backwards extremely rapidly.

Next week I'm on holiday. I think I'm going to steer clear of ale if I can. There will, at least, be reasonably cycling days: not huge number of miles, but there will be hills, it being Southern Scotland.

I'd say that means your gut is full and you're well htdrated, nothing more. Weight trending over such a short period is pointless IMO.

Indeed; it is difficult to eat more than a a pound of fat's calories in two days, so you'll weigh just half a kilo more than you did last week, once you've been back on the diet for about 10 days.

simonp

« Reply #3001 on: 29 March, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »
When preparing food for you it is generally easiest to assume that you are in fact 2 people and feed you accordingly!

Given that many people have a BMR of around 1500 calories and my average daily requirement in 2010 was probably over 3000 calories, that's probably a reasonable rule of thumb. :)

« Reply #3002 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:15:04 pm »
Well my HRM worked all the way round my 21 mile loop today.

Except it was consistently reading lower than my usual, around the 110s instead of the 125s. I decided to go super-effort up a hill and got it up to 172, but that's nowhere near my former max (not that I felt I was riding at max effort).

Downside is I've only burned 550 calories for what would normally have been 800ish. My average speed was as usual (11.6mph for this route). Weird. But if it's going to have an error, underreading is preferable so I don't eat calories I haven't burned off, and yet the diet was working well on the previous reading. It could all be in my head but somehow I don't think so. We shall see!

Maybe you have just got super-fit since you last used it!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3003 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »
I wondered that, but it's an impressive fitness boost in 2 days!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

simonp

« Reply #3004 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:47:08 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17585734

BMI 'underestimating obesity'.

I knew that BMI had low sensitivity for obesity, but going for a threshold of 24 for women and 28 for men will classify more people as obese who don't reall have a problem. It's still possible to have excessive fat with a 'normal' BMI.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3005 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:53:34 pm »
I was so happy yesterday to have weighed myself and discovered I'm now just overweight, not obese, as my BMI is now 29.9 or something. So I'm sticking with that measurement.

I am currently in Austria for a week so expect to be obese again on my return.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3006 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »
Don't know how many kgs but it is nearly 4 inches on the belt now. And I eat loads of junk but putting them in the miles in the HARD way.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #3007 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:24:54 pm »
This is going to get even harder, now, isn't it?
turbo one handed? Single arm squat lifts? Right hand row? Single arm push ups?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3008 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:48:13 pm »
See?  You have loads of ideas already! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3009 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »
Want to borrow my spare trike, Fabian? (That's what my phone autocorrected fboab to!). It works for me with one weak arm.

« Reply #3010 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »
Helen, that's really kind, I might well take you up on that. It'd be nice to retain some independence. I'll be in touch when I've had a physio ok in a few (hopefully short) weeks.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3011 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »
Another chum has it for a fortnight but it should be back when you might want it. Let me know.

« Reply #3012 on: 04 April, 2012, 06:00:19 am »
C**p week this week as Not enough miles and comfort eating due to a cold.  but I stayed the same weight, there is hope that things will improve as the cold improves.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3013 on: 04 April, 2012, 08:52:05 am »
I'm under the 90kg threshold which is always a physcological significance for me.I didn't expect to lose a whole kg 'cause I've not been at all good wrt what I am eating.
I assume that 200km carrying 26kg last weekend is a contributing factor but as a weight loss exercise I will be doing it in future by reducing the amount of camping kit on the bike. ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3014 on: 04 April, 2012, 09:04:50 am »
OK, so the last couple of weeks have been a blip, and I've got back on track, with 1kg under last week's depressing reverse.

Over the months, I have lost:

Jan: 3.8kg
Feb: 2.6kg
Mar: 2.0kg

I suppose it's inevitable that, the less there is to lose, the less I will lose as I approach a sustainable weight, but I would be happy if April sees 2kg off, as that will reach my target.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3015 on: 04 April, 2012, 09:28:00 am »
Well I'm down 6kg from NYD, and 600g since last week. Would probably have been more wihout the full 12" pizza last night :facepalm:

At 2kg/month it would take me just under 11 months to move from obese to overweight and just under 19 months to hit a healthy BMI. Hmm.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3016 on: 04 April, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »
So, I'm reckoning that the steel plate, screws and plaster cast weigh a couple of kilos, yeah? And I have been on opiates for 48 hours....

« Reply #3017 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »
Pah, I wish I had something like booze to give up for some free and easy spare calories.

How do you get over the ICBA part of losing weight?

« Reply #3018 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:37:30 pm »
I wish I knew, Doosh, I wish I knew.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3019 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »
If anyone finds an answer I'd be interested as well :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3020 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:53:43 pm »
I've discovered that dragging 26kg around 200km including some lumpy bits gets rid of a kg.
The drawback is that it doesn't qualify for ICBA.

« Reply #3021 on: 04 April, 2012, 05:25:28 pm »
I cracked the 60kg barrier this week, with the help of running out of food and forgetting to order more. Not a single biscuit, crisp, cake or pudding in the house. I did make epic quantities of soup with all the Riverford organic veggies I had though.

simonp

« Reply #3022 on: 05 April, 2012, 12:43:08 am »
I keep breaking the 70kg barrier.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3023 on: 05 April, 2012, 01:06:42 am »
My trousers seem loose. I've not weighed myself of late as I need assistance and it's not been convenient for David when I want to weigh myself. He doesn't think I've lost any weight...

« Reply #3024 on: 05 April, 2012, 09:43:56 am »
Checking in a day late as I've been away for work and I am astounded that I have, according to the scales this morning, lost a pound!  This after a week which has included four full English breakfasts and only one day on the bike.
I don't totally believe the reading this morning, but at least I haven't put on loads.
As I will now be spending two nights per week in hotels for the next three months and won't be riding the bike when away I will need to be extra careful.
Any hints?

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."