Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300895 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3025 on: 05 April, 2012, 10:05:44 am »
Use hotels with a gym or swimming pool

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3026 on: 05 April, 2012, 01:39:21 pm »
Have your 'normal' breakfast in the hotel. For me that's cereal, orange juice & coffee. If you don't exercise when having frequent 'full English' your weight loss is at risk.

« Reply #3027 on: 05 April, 2012, 03:43:39 pm »
Use hotels with a gym or swimming pool
It has both.  But the pool is tiny and I've never used a gym (not since leaving school anyway!).

Have your 'normal' breakfast in the hotel. For me that's cereal, orange juice & coffee. If you don't exercise when having frequent 'full English' your weight loss is at risk.
I'd come to that conclusion as well, Helly!  Much as I love a fry up...
I usually have toast, but white sliced is not the same as home-made.  They do fruit and yoghurt and things like that.  I'll have to have a better look next week.

I have decided that I will walk from the hotel to the office on the middle day of the three I'm there.  That's about two miles each way which should help.
The 'corner shop' is a small Waitrose which does 'slimmers'' sandwiches and such like so I've resolved to stick to those as well.
I have also realised that, as I will be tending to do long days when away, I get spare time when in the home office, so I may be able to get some more riding in then.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3028 on: 05 April, 2012, 04:31:34 pm »
I've stayed the same this week, but somethings not going right (again!) This time its not just the maths thats not working, but I've fainted 3 times, twice at work. I haven't been feeling low on energy or underfuelled or hungry or anything at the time so its very strange as its not something that normally happens to me.

Someone has said I might be low on iron, so need to have a look at my diet again I guess- I do eat red meat and lots of green stuff though so not sure why.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3029 on: 05 April, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »
but I've fainted 3 times,

blood pressure?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3030 on: 05 April, 2012, 06:41:38 pm »
I weighed myself last night on guest house scales after a significant portion of venison casserole. 114kg. It may or may not be true, but I'll wait until I get home next week to resume normal service.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3031 on: 05 April, 2012, 09:29:49 pm »
Don't know how many kgs but it is nearly 4 inches on the belt now. And I eat loads of junk but putting them in the miles in the HARD way.
You mean that you haven't made any ice cream or bought any Jarlsberg?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3032 on: 05 April, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
I've been snacking badly today. :(

But, on the other hand, I had a conversation with the boss of the gardening company which tends the property at work which went thusly:

'Are you a Doctor?'
'No, I'm the Practice Manager.'
He narrowed his eyes
'The new Practice Manager?'
'No.  I've been here a while.'
Light dawns
'Aaaah, yes, I've met you before, haven't I?'
'Yes.  About six months ago.'
'You've changed.  You're completely changed.  You've lost weight, you have.  A lot of weight.'
'Yes.  About eight kilos since Christmas.'
'Here!' he said to the other gardener, 'Will you look at this?  He's lost eight kilos since Christmas.  That's grand that is.  You're looking really good.  That's fierce.  How've you done it?'
I indicated my bike
'That's it, is it?'
'That and eating sensibly.'
'Great.  You look great.  Don't overdo it, mind.'
'There's plenty more to go.'
'Fierce.'

and, as I was waiting for the non-appearance of a waste truck this evening, I got changed.  I needed to go to the Nurse Manager to give her some instructions.  She took a look at me in my cycling kit, including Lusso longs, and, bless her, she didn't laugh, but said, 'You're so fit!  All that cycling and look!'

I don't think either of them were taking the piss. ;D
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3033 on: 06 April, 2012, 11:48:41 am »
Well done, clarion!  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

trixie

« Reply #3034 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:49:25 pm »
That's great Clarion!  :)

I'm sure you feel encouraged - keep it up.

Any chance of 'before' and 'after' pics?!!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3035 on: 07 April, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »
I don't expect there to be any weight loss this week.In fact I expect the opposite.Marj is working her magic in the kitchen ;D

« Reply #3036 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:13:46 pm »
Saw this on MFP

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

Someone tell America to hold the fries!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3037 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:46:06 am »
I was 71kg last night. In a T-shirt.
I appear to be lighter than my last weigh-in.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3038 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:59:21 am »
Having prided myself on Steady Weight but No Exercise, (I had not weighed myself last year at all) it appears I have gained 10lb.
I am going to have to Be Sensible.
There are still three uneaten Chocolate Oranges from Christmas. At the rate we attack them, I don't think they are the cause of the problem.
Looks like I'll be a Diet Bore too...

There are still two Chocolate Orange halves but there are now half-eaten Lindt Gold Bunnies.
Still, I'm lighter.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3039 on: 10 April, 2012, 06:41:44 pm »
When I put my trousers on this morning before breakfast, they told me that they thought I hadn't put on any weight in the past week. This is the first time for more than a week that I've put trousers on before breakfast. Our only riding today was between the B & B, stations and home. Every other morning I've put elasticated cycling longs on and they don't impart nearly so much information as ordinary trousers.

« Reply #3040 on: 11 April, 2012, 07:27:54 am »
Back in the hotel. Breakfast this morning was grapefruit and mandarins plus a low fat yoghurt. We'll have to see if that's enough, but I do have a supply of apples with me for mid-morning if needed.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3041 on: 11 April, 2012, 07:49:15 am »
110.4, up 1.3 kg on a fortnight ago. That's not too bad, considering I've had 10 B & B cooked breakfasts, 10 pub lunches and 10 quite large evening meals since then. However, given that we have another holiday at the end of May, which is now only 7 weeks away, my 100kg target for the Dun Run (30/6//12) is looking rather distant.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3042 on: 11 April, 2012, 09:08:19 am »
I'm up 3kg after a week in Austria. I'm hoping some of that is post-flight water retention or summat.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3043 on: 11 April, 2012, 09:11:38 am »
I'm down more than a kilo after a week of absolutely no exercise and eating like someone who needs the comfort of chocolate, cake and, erm trifle  :-[

I am off the opiates though. Mostly.

Chris S

« Reply #3044 on: 11 April, 2012, 09:14:17 am »
We're nearly half way through the month, and I've done just 130km of cycling. This shows.  :facepalm:

« Reply #3045 on: 11 April, 2012, 09:18:47 am »
We're nearly half way through the month, and I've done just 130km of cycling. This shows.  :facepalm:
11/30 = 36%. 'Half Way' tcha.
Have you been talking to Jasmine?

Chris S

« Reply #3046 on: 11 April, 2012, 10:06:37 am »
11/30 = 36%. 'Half Way' tcha.
Have you been talking to Jasmine?

Tch... wearing your glasses again this morning, aren't you? Let me help you...

;D :-*

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3047 on: 11 April, 2012, 10:31:27 am »
I'm off out on my trike shortly to try to shift some of the extra lard and to buy some food as the cupboards, post-holiday, are rather bare! Hopefully I can start on reducing the deficit from last week. Those cakes and pastries were wonderful though!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3048 on: 11 April, 2012, 11:27:31 am »
No change :(
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3049 on: 11 April, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »
I'm down more than a kilo after a week of absolutely no exercise and eating like someone who needs the comfort of chocolate, cake and, erm trifle  :-[

I am off the opiates though. Mostly.

Short term water retention is part of the body's response to trauma.
Muscle breakdown also features.

Regaining/retaining muscle whilst whittling at the blubber is a greater challenge. The absence of bonk-like symptoms can make restricting intake less challenging though.

GWS and persist with the tedious dieting!