Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300817 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3500 on: 12 September, 2012, 11:07:47 am »
Who wants to be on telly?

WANTED FOR NEW CHANNEL 4 PROGRAMME

DO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY STRUGGLE TO LOSE WEIGHT NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY?

Outline Productions are looking for families who are struggling collectively with their weight to take part in an exciting new TV show.

Using the latest science, experts will look at a family’s history and lifestyle to see what’s really affecting their weight – and then help them to lose it.

If you are interested in taking part please call or email:

weightloss@outlineproductions.co.uk

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3501 on: 12 September, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »
Steady again this week, but the exercise is picking up, so I have hopes for next week.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3502 on: 12 September, 2012, 12:18:02 pm »
Same for me again this week. At least it hasn't gone up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3503 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
David weighed me last night.
He said I was 66kg or less. (Old spring balance, bought when I weighed 68kg in 1981)
This represents continued gradual loss.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3504 on: 18 September, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »
Oh bugger.  Today's not going well.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #3505 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »
OK.  I've tried eating loads of nice food and I've tried eating hardly anything for the last month.

I must say I prefer eating loads of nice food.

Basically I'm having a hard time today and it's "weigh day" tomorrow.  36 pounds to lose in total (to achieve target), 24 left to go.  I've done the "easy pounds" since Aug 13th, now for the stubborn ones.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3506 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »

Not too bad in the end, though.  I'm back below the 90kg I'd gone up to with not riding.  I hope this bodes well for the next few weeks, as there are three big milestones just ahead:

87kg - One quarter of bodyweight lost from maximum in c.2004
86kg - 30kg lost from same point
85kg - Current target.

I'm aiming for 80kg overall, but I'll be pleased if I can knock these ones off soon, as my weight has plateaued a bit, even before the off.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #3507 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Not too bad in the end, though.  I'm back below the 90kg I'd gone up to with not riding.  I hope this bodes well for the next few weeks, as there are three big milestones just ahead:

85kg - Current target.

I'm aiming for 80kg overall, but I'll be pleased if I can knock these ones off soon, as my weight has plateaued a bit, even before the off.

We're about the same weight and aiming for about the same target.  Cycling must be bloody easy at 80Kg..I want to find out.

I haven't see 80kg/12.5 stone for a very long time, maybe 20 years.  I'd settled into a just-slightly-too-fat Sine Wave fluctuating between 13.5 & 15 stone,  86-96kg.

We'll see, it's much easier said than done.

« Reply #3508 on: 19 September, 2012, 03:15:55 pm »
Haven't kept a close eye on my weight since April, but still logging food and exercise. I'm 70.0kg, which is 1.5kg up since I last reported.

I have a DEXA scan coming up, which all my colleagues will want a nosey at. Might focus me on staying in shape for the next few weeks.

« Reply #3509 on: 20 September, 2012, 03:23:54 pm »

85kg - Current target.

We're about the same weight and aiming for about the same target.  Cycling must be bloody easy at 80Kg..I want to find out.

I haven't see 80kg/12.5 stone for a very long time, maybe 20 years.  I'd settled into a just-slightly-too-fat Sine Wave fluctuating between 13.5 & 15 stone,  86-96kg.

We'll see, it's much easier said than done.

Ah yes. All too familiar. I ended up going the wrong way this year, cf 2012 graphs, but I'm looking forward to the graph update with the last two weeks on, though. My 2012 objective of low 80's is still achievable

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3510 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:22:45 am »
Woohoo!  I lost 200g! :D

Well, there's still more to go...
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3511 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:29:49 am »
My fat levels have remained disappointingly stable over the past four months.

or

I have succeeded in keeping off the 9kg I lost earlier in the year.

« Reply #3512 on: 26 September, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »
Well, I suppose a 1 lb loss after a fortnight in Belgium is some sort of success...

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #3513 on: 26 September, 2012, 06:18:48 pm »
Oh, it's that day again!

Off to weigh in and then I'll run the graph script. You know I really should set a reminder.

LEE

« Reply #3514 on: 26 September, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »
Well, I suppose a 1 lb loss after a fortnight in Belgium is some sort of success...

1lb loss in a fortnight is probably about the most healthy rate to lose weight.  Definite success.

A year of that and I'd be my perfect weight.

« Reply #3515 on: 29 September, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »
Late checking in, but back below 70kg (BMI 19.1). Hill training and a long run, plus the prospect of a DXA scan that my colleagues will be all over are to be credited.

I'll post up my scan results. Hoping for single figure body fat % so I can get one over the uber fit epi bods.

« Reply #3516 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:00:24 am »
Bother  :(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3517 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:04:35 am »
Up a bit from last week, but down from where I was a few days ago.  Still not a good position with the end of the year approaching.  I may be returning to MFP next week to help me buckle down.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3518 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:19:38 am »
Haven't been weighed recently.
Seem stable but have lost about 7 or 8kg this year.
No recent inch loss.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3519 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:47:22 am »
111.0 today. That's an alleged 200 gramme loss since last week.

Margin of error.

« Reply #3520 on: 03 October, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »
Big jump this week - that's what you get for weighing in after running 15miles the week before.

Went for a DEXA scan today (and ECG, OGTT, intra abdominal ultrasound fat measurement, various bloods and a sub maximal VO2 max test - all part of the Fenland study - research nurse reckon I'd had £800 of tests). Won't get the results back for a while, but I did catch a glimpse of the Tanita Segmental Body Composition Analyser output. Disappointed to get a body fat % of 11.5. Was hoping for single figures.

DEXA info here - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WKRNhkiwptY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WKRNhkiwptY&rel=1</a> < that's the model I went on, a GE Lunar iDXA. Can't find a price, but guess it wasn't cheap in that they are costing it at £300 per scan.

Here's the Tanita they used - http://www.scalesexpress.com/tanita-bc-418ma-segmental-body-composition-analyser-class-iii.html?gclid=CKe4mdqN5bICFaXJtAodvBEA4w < I'm pretty sure that someone on here did a PhD in this area and showed that they were a load of shit.

simonp

« Reply #3521 on: 03 October, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »
That thing would give better results than the scales you stand on as it can get a better idea of upper body fat. However limitations such as hydration sensitivity still apply.

Body fat scales have a fairly large error, but that error tends to be quite stable for a given individual. Hence if you get a reading from a particular device, and have a contemporaneous measurement using another method which is more accurate then you can track changes in body fat using scales once you know the absolute error. As it happens, my Tanita scales said 18% at the same time as skin-fold testing said 18%, so I’m reasonably confident in the readings my scales give me are not massively wrong (currently about 15-16%, dropping to around 13% when I’m riding loads in the summer).

TBH, I’d have been surprised if you saw <10%. Elite athletes are usually in the 8-13% range.

simonp

« Reply #3522 on: 03 October, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »
Did you find out you Vo2max result BTW? I have to tell you, I found it very tough doing a maximal-effort test. Though I got my HR higher in the spinning class on Friday.  :facepalm:

« Reply #3523 on: 03 October, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »
Not yet - they really didn't want me to see anything during the testing - I'm meant to wait until I get a report. Other than the Tanita, weight and height (which I knew), the only other thing I caught was hip (36") and waist (29"), which gives a waist hip ratio of .8.

The testing centre was an awesome facility - if anyone in the Cambridgeshire / Suffolk / Norfolk area gets the chance to take part in the Fenland study, it's well worth the 2.5 hours it takes (even if there's only a chicken sandwich left if your the last one out - grumble).

simonp

« Reply #3524 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »
Fair enough really.

My what a difference a week makes. 71.6kg. It’s 2009 all over again. Looks like calories are back off the menu.