Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300629 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3625 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:53:23 am »
Fair enough.

Getting there...

« Reply #3626 on: 19 December, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »
Good luck with low carb Boab. I've found it really successful in the past.  :).

You are obviously using the calories far more efficiently than MFP and so on expect.

I've given up for the moment. I actually gave up about a month ago, due to feeling totally rough and not caring enough. Since we are going to be eating as many meals as I can cadge somewhere else over Christmas, it's not going to get better so I'll just have to get a grip in January. I might even feel like riding my bike a bit by then, who knows?

This week I gained 600g presumably due to meals out and take-aways, since I haven't eaten that much otherwise.

EDIT: I've just looked at my record and realised that I now weigh more than I have done since the beginning of February :facepalm:. Oh well, at least my bosom is back :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3627 on: 19 December, 2012, 05:08:12 pm »
Oh well, at least my bosom is back :D.

So's mine.  :'(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3628 on: 19 December, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »
Oh well, at least my bosom is back :D.

So's mine.  :'(

Never had one; have a bit less now...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3629 on: 26 December, 2012, 08:42:43 am »
I finished the year on 114.2, almost a stone lighter than I started.

I missed my declared target for the year by 24.2kg, by which measure the year must be regarded as a failure.

However, eternal optimist that I am, at least I kept on with the weekly weighing, missing only 4 weeks when I was away and therefore had no scales available. Without the constant awareness that that brought, I doubt that I would have kept my weight down to what it is.

Next year's targets:

1. Week-on-week, to weigh less than I did in 2012.

2. To lose another stone.

3. To get down to 100kg.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3630 on: 26 December, 2012, 09:08:02 am »
I finished the year on 114.2, almost a stone lighter than I started.

I missed my declared target for the year by 24.2kg, by which measure the year must be regarded as a failure.

Next year's targets:

1. Week-on-week, to weigh less than I did in 2012.

2. To lose another stone.

3. To get down to 100kg.

Well done,  I also missed my target by 12 kg.  My targets are similar but to get down to 95kg.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #3631 on: 26 December, 2012, 10:13:18 am »
Despite spending most of the year fretting about my weight, at least 12 weeks starting every day with half an hour of aerobics, months of feeling deprived, and then guilty about failing to stick to it, generally, a miserable relationship with food, riding 12,278km, I weigh 2.7kg more than at the start.
Fuck off.
(that's a "Fuck off" to the world generally, and is in no way a comment on those who have success to celebrate in this thread)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3632 on: 26 December, 2012, 11:37:25 am »
You forgot to mention the broken bone and resultant time off the bike and on the cake there, boabacca.  I know it is only one factor, but it didn't help you, did it?

Out of curiousity, I just plotted my very haphazrd weight over the last few years.  I weigh myself very intermittently, when I go to our mum's house and remember to, since she owns scales.

That's roughly 13kg dropped between the 2010 Easter Arrow (the first at which I provided cake and which was the day after me and the EldestCub's first 'big' ride) and the 2010 Dun Run.  I rode loads, and tracked calories, and was highly motivated to shed weight so that Wow didn't drop the tandem with me on the back of it and so that I could make it to the end of the FNRttC to Cleethorpes.

Back up gradually when I stopped tracking in the Autumn and over winter up to Christmas 2010, although not to where it was.  January 2011 and I started riding winter miles and dropping weight steadily through to the summer.  Then a burglary, separation, broken bone and several months off the bike and back up it went.

January '12 and it plummeted alarmingly due to a never before encountered symptom of stress i.e. loss of appetite, verging on inability to eat.  Not a recommended method of dropping 8 or 9 kg in a couple of weeks, that - it was really rather unpleasant.  I actually started calorie tracking again for a while for the first time since the Dun Run, in order to make myself eat more, and it mostly dropped a bit more steadily for a month or two before stabilising at and around the 100kg mark. 

Crept up again over this autumn/winter which isn't surprising given how little I've ridden really.  But even now I weigh about 10kg less than I did the day I got my bike.  And about 14 or 15 less than at my heaviest, 10 years back.

The 13kg I lost in 2010 was possibly only the second time in my life that I deliberately set out to lose weight and track/monitor what I weigh and what I ate - the previous time was when I was a teenager, and asked the GP to refer me to a dietician.  I was quite nervous about the Dun Run mind, and was doing lots of 'training' rides with the Cub before his "Big Ride" to Barrow in Furness as well as swimming lots. 

Looking at that graph, it shows me that when I track I lose weight.  Or, more probably, when I lose weight I track.  Looking back at photos from the last 10 years, I can see that I lose weight when I a) am doing loads of exercise and b) am happy.  The happiness and the exercise are very related, I reckon - in a virtuous circle kind of way.

Guess I need to ride m'bike more...

« Reply #3633 on: 26 December, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »
I've had success with alternate day fasting,  but have stopped for a the festive/feasting period. Not measuring weight for a couple of weeks,  based on hiding my head in the sand, for now I'm just going by belt notch.
Went from 81kg to 67kg, but am going up for Xmas. Cycle commuting and ADF will return on 2nd Jan.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3634 on: 26 December, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »
I have not been weighed of late. Tis the eating season, though I've only over-indulged a little.
I will leave 2012 a good stone lighter than I entered it.
I am lighter than I was when I bought the scales in 1982.
That will do for now.
I hope to lose more weight next year but might not weigh myself for a few weeks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3635 on: 26 December, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »
Steady progress this year.  Lost 8.6kg - 1.8kg short of my target, but I got safely below 90kg, I'm pleased to say.

Target for next year will be 80kg, but I'd be happy with getting and staying under 85kg.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #3636 on: 26 December, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »
Net loss of 5kg over the year. Can't complain about that, though I finish the year 3kg up on my minimum.

d.

« Reply #3637 on: 27 December, 2012, 07:43:33 am »
Lost 17kgs then put 7 of them back on again :(

back on it again in the new year.  eat less and move more.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3638 on: 27 December, 2012, 12:36:44 pm »
Waist 29"/ 74cm.
4"/10cm down on year.

Hips have reduced similarly.

« Reply #3639 on: 27 December, 2012, 01:32:09 pm »
Three pounds loss between the first and last weigh ins for this year, so let's call that stable.
Considering what the year's been like--away from home three days a week since April, so lots of pub meals and far too little cycling--that's probably a 'win' but not by much.  Next year will have to involve...
eat drink less and move more.
...but I will have MrsC on board with this, so it shouldn't be too hard.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3640 on: 28 December, 2012, 11:54:58 pm »
I've had a slight rise over the Christmas Festipigoutal so am at 128.1 again. This is still about 9kg more than I was a year or so ago so I have to make the New Years Resolution of "Getting my act together a bit" and stop taking the easy option in everything.
Good luck to all :thumbsup:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3641 on: 29 December, 2012, 12:19:40 pm »
I didn't bother tracking my weight in 2012. All in all, it was a crap year for many reasons - not least injury and illness - and cycling, fitness and weight all suffered. 2013 will be different. I want to take a bit more charge of my life in many respects. 82 kg is the aim by the end of the year - that's about 10kg less than now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3642 on: 29 December, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »
Thank you for the new thread, boabacca!
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3643 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:29:33 pm »
Spare a thought for the father of the 30 year old anorexic doctor, who weighed 23kg when she died earlier in the year.
I am nearly three times that weight, the weight I was when I was in my first year at junior school. (I weighed half a stone for every year between 5 and 14.)
Eating disorders can be terrible.

John Henry

« Reply #3644 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:37:23 pm »
Spare a thought for the father of the 30 year old anorexic doctor, who weighed 23kg when she died earlier in the year.
I am nearly three times that weight, the weight I was when I was in my first year at junior school. (I weighed half a stone for every year between 5 and 14.)
Eating disorders can be terrible.

I saw him interviewed on the TV yesterday. A heartbreaking story.

I had a fairly low mileage year in 2012, but my weight has stayed fairly stable. It needs to be a little lower. I've set my target weight loss at 9kg by the end of the year, though I'd probably be happy with 5.

citoyen

« Reply #3645 on: 30 December, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »
Thank you for the new thread, boabacca!

+1

« Reply #3646 on: 30 December, 2012, 03:39:12 pm »
Also +1 to boabacca--I need to do more about my weight next year and this will help.

I have decided to set a modest target (with the hope that I can do better).
I'd like to be back to the minimum weight I was in 2010.  That's still 20 lb above my all time (since I started cycling again) minimum, but I don't want to dishearten myself before I start!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3647 on: 30 December, 2012, 06:42:49 pm »
I've done the research, I've tried other things and have decided to go 'Low Carb' next year.
I have no idea how I'm going to manage that while audaxing.
Has anyone done Low Carb, and if so, what did you eat when you were out & about?
(Butterfly- I'm looking at you!)

And yes simonp- this is YAFD.  ::-) I've got to try everything in the hope something will work. Calories in calories out only works if you can stick to it, and clearly, I can't.

« Reply #3648 on: 30 December, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
Bought some scales t'other day. Working for a cake business for the past 6 months has added 4lbs which is not good. Aim to lose 8lb by the end of Feb to be back to 10 stone bang on like in 2011.

I only cycled 2400 miles this year. Have set myself 3,500 next year and some duathlon challenges.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #3649 on: 30 December, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »
I've only ever managed low carb for about a week at a time as it made me feel quite faint and dizzy but it was effective and having simple rules to not eat bread, pasta and potatoes are easy to follow, and i like simple rules like that so i don't  have to think about the other bits. I eventually found that avoiding bread and pasta was the most effective. Potatoes and rice didn't seem to do me too much harm weight wise.

Most available snacks and food that is available to buy on the go seems to focus around bread or crisps, so I used to buy sandwiches, eat the filling and chuck away the bread. It took willpower to do that though. From supermarkets those tubs of sandwich fillers are a lowish carb option. Celery stick with a cream cheese works as well for a snack. In pubs, i just used to try and stick to the rules of no bread, pasta and potatoes. Unfortunately lots of things come with those which does make it difficult. Get a pint of water from the bar and liberally throw it over the things you are not supposed to eat, especially chips. That was the only way I found to not eat them as I didn't have the willpower to ignore them.

When I did low carb, I didn't follow it too religiously whilst cycling and I still lost weight. The problem of course was when I stopped low carb and went back to eating carbs, all the weight went back on. Sigh.

Good luck!