Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300789 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3825 on: 14 February, 2013, 11:40:11 am »
Those other measurements are at least as important/significant as what the scales show, aren't they?
Well, yes and no.
Power:weight is what I'm trying to improve, but I've never really had a problem with the power side. Yes more muscle is better, but there isn't that much of a shortage.
Really, as a tandem team, we need to shed kilos, extra power isn't really enough. I have to be lighter.

I was thinking more of the waist/hip/neck measurements, which are related to fat loss - a change in your waist measurement very likely reflects a change in your weight, or at least a change in your body fat, which obviously isn't exactly the same thing...

Anyway, I was really just thinking out loud about how if you're in helly's position of not being able to weigh yourself easily, you can still monitor your weight changes (or body fat changes, at least) by those other measurements. But you and helly know all that already and don't need me to try to teach you.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3826 on: 14 February, 2013, 12:11:24 pm »
I'd like access to a PowerTap so I could quantify my own power over a given period and then create my own Watts/Kg value.  That way I could see actual improvements. I'd like to be able to quantify what a Pro Cyclist is actually like as well.  Watts/Kg gives you that.

you can get on a racing bike and go climbing hills at your max effort. then download gpx log to ridewithgps.com and check out your  "vam" number (vertical ascent measurement?) - it's a good indicator of your power:weight. pros for reference can climb somewhere around 1500-2000 meters per hour.

Chris S

« Reply #3827 on: 14 February, 2013, 12:15:50 pm »
Yes, I keep half an eye on the VAM number for our rides. I don't know how well it works, East of the meridian. I think we've managed to get it close to 500 a couple of times, but it mostly languishes in the 300s.

simonp

« Reply #3828 on: 14 February, 2013, 02:11:11 pm »
On a 10% gradient, without a headwind, at my current weight, 200W (I can sustain this for about 2 hours) => VAM of around 900.

If I plug in just under 300W, which I managed to sustain for 5 minutes on the Devil's Staircase, then that's VAM of 1300.

To do the same at 80kg I would need an additional ~40 Watts of power. Or in the 200W case, an additional 5025W.

simonp

« Reply #3829 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:01:35 pm »
It seems our VAM on long climbs in Devon on the tandem is 500-600. This is despite feeling knackered after 100 miles (first tandem ride for 6 months and our longest ride for 6 months).

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3830 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:40:04 pm »
As it happens I managed to entirely skip the '13 thing and drop to 15 st. 11 lb yesterday.  ;D

Shame it was a massively cheaty weigh in after an 80 mile ride ;)

I just wanted it though - well over a decade since I weighed in under 16 stone.  I shall look forward - after the rebound - to sustain my average weight under the 16 stone barrier.  :)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3831 on: 18 February, 2013, 08:42:02 am »
Having got very used to Kilos now, I converted my weight to Stones just for nostalgia.

It might be quite a while since I used them, but it is nice to be back under 20 stone again.

My next milestone is getting under 120kg.

caerau

« Reply #3832 on: 18 February, 2013, 09:03:09 am »
Rebounded, and by 7 lb  :-\
Got a telling off by my Wii fit board too  :o

Ha well, not like I wasn't expecting it - Wednesday is the day of the weigh in - I always weigh in heavy on Mondays - will have to stop having these naughty weekends...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3833 on: 18 February, 2013, 10:08:48 am »
I wish it was a level playing field.

I have to starve for months to lose a few grammes, but the moment I have a curry three kilos go back on.

There is a slight exaggeration there, but not a lot. It's take a fortnight's carelessness and I've put back the 4kg I lost since 1st Jan.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3834 on: 18 February, 2013, 10:15:12 am »
Yesterday was an audax day. Didn't weigh myself on getting back, but did this morning, after a reasonable meal last night, rehydration, etc. 800g down on previous weight. I expect it'll creep back up today, but I've a fast day tomorrow so Wednesday may herald a new low weight...
Embrace your inner Fred.

Chris S

« Reply #3835 on: 18 February, 2013, 11:25:46 am »
I have to starve for months to lose a few grammes, but the moment I have a curry three kilos go back on.

This is hardly a surprise though, surely? If you eat a kilo of curry, you'll weigh a kilo more than you did before. It's simply not possible to equate one eating episode with what's happening to your overall level of adipose tissue.

Weight is a rubbish metric - it's as useful as BMI.

Assuming your goal is not to lose weight per-se, but to lose fat - then other metrics are better; a tape measure, the mirror test, calipers, body composition scales (used carefully, they can provide a guide at least, but they're rubbish for a one-off measurement), a DEXA scan (sadly not available on the NHS, to my knowledge - unlike bariatric surgery  :-\).

Having said all that, I weigh myself most days  ::-).

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3836 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:17:34 pm »
Oh yeah, I've lost another half an inch off the waist (measured after breakfast)...  ;D
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #3837 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:22:20 pm »
Yesterday was an audax day. Didn't weigh myself on getting back, but did this morning, after a reasonable meal last night, rehydration, etc. 800g down on previous weight. I expect it'll creep back up today, but I've a fast day tomorrow so Wednesday may herald a new low weight...
Wheras I have gained 300g by riding 215km.

It's mostly water, whichever way it goes.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3838 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »

Yep, pretty much what I thought too. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks. Another audax in early March, so I'll find out how compatible endurance rides are with intermittent fasting...
Embrace your inner Fred.

caerau

« Reply #3839 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »
Not very is my guess

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #3840 on: 18 February, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »
The reading on the bathroom scales is finally going in the right direction - found my motivation again.  Woo yay.

I have a set of gentle morning exercises called "In shape for Summer", I think it is aimed at the bikini-brigade, but I find doing these exercises first thing in the morning helps me to stay on target throughout the day.

This morning I did my very first "interval" training; running for 2 minutes and walking for 1 minute, for a 30 minute period.  This is actually really nice, I hate jogging or running, but knowing that I only have to do it for 2 minutes is brilliant.  So this, 3 times a week, mixed with tone and tummy exercises, combined with sticking to my calorie allowance has finally got me back on track.  Thank heavens for that!

If I can lose 6kg before BCM it will make that cycling experience much more fun.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3841 on: 18 February, 2013, 02:10:32 pm »

Yep, pretty much what I thought too. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks. Another audax in early March, so I'll find out how compatible endurance rides are with intermittent fasting...

Glycogen reserves take 48 hours to replenish completely.

You might be able to ride long distances if your stores aren't full; some people can, some can't. It depends on your fitness, training, aerobic capacity and other factors.

If you pace yourself and don't try to ride hell for leather on any part of a ride, you might be OK but don't expect your afterburners to function!
Take it as easy as possible on the hills.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3842 on: 18 February, 2013, 02:26:03 pm »
Glycogen reserves take 48 hours to replenish completely.

That's worth knowing. So in audax weeks I will need to re-jig my fasting schedule...

You might be able to ride long distances if your stores aren't full; some people can, some can't. It depends on your fitness, training, aerobic capacity and other factors.

Well I rode yesterday despite recovering from a bad cold. However I did carbo-load the previous evening so I was probably okay glycogen wise.

If you pace yourself and don't try to ride hell for leather on any part of a ride, you might be OK but don't expect your afterburners to function!
Take it as easy as possible on the hills.

That sounds pretty much how I ride anyway! I did manage to put in a burst of speed at the end of yesterday's ride, mind you. Millionaire's shortbread helps...
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3843 on: 18 February, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »
Millionnaire's shortbread is good for the afterburners...

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #3844 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »
Millionnaire's shortbread is good for the afterburners...

What do you use to ignite the unburnt millionaire shortbread and create that cool flame effect at the back?
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3845 on: 18 February, 2013, 11:05:16 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/18/obesity-epidemic-hysteria

An interesting piece in today's Grauniad.

Most of the points raised in that piece have been expressed by forummers on this thread. Yes, you can be overweight and still maintain reasonable health and get exercise, but I'd wager that pretty well any physical activity you choose to take part in is a lot more fun when you haven't got half a hundredweight of blubber to cart around with you.

Edit: and I have got half a cwt of blubber - and more - to cart around with me.

caerau

« Reply #3846 on: 18 February, 2013, 11:22:36 pm »
This
'The AoMRC encourages NHS staff to pester patients about their weight in every encounter, but what fat person in their right mind would go to the doctor with a verruca, or a funny rash that might just reveal a life-threatening illness, if they know they'll get a right old finger-wagging?'

This I find quite offensive at the doctor's these days. If I go to the doctor because I want some eczema cream I have to spend 10 minutes getting my blood pressure measured, getting weighed and then getting lectured.  >:(

Really they can just fark off.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3847 on: 19 February, 2013, 12:28:55 am »
Went to neurology clinic last week for my annual review. All round the hospital, there were people of fairly normal weight, (by appearance only). There was a diabetic clinic running near to the neuro clinic. Clinic nurses were HYOOGE. One asked diabetic chap "HAVE YOU SEEN THE DIETICIAN?"

My thought was "Have you?"

Some hospital staff are a lousy example.

Latest news is the recommendation to remove vending machines selling choccy bars and the like from hospitals; that would be fine if all staff could be guaranteed half-hour uninterrupted meal breaks. I don't think it's fair to withhold fast calories from people who don't have the time to have a slow meal.

I can be EVIL if I have a low blood sugar (and my BM has been 2.8 when I felt OK...)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3848 on: 19 February, 2013, 10:17:59 am »
For years, our local hospital had a small hatch, personned by WRVS volunteers, distributing tea, coffee and a few other bits and pieces at a low price (50p a cup, typically). For chocolate etc. the hospital shop was available.

A couple of years ago the WRVS counter was closed and an enormous Cost Coffee emporium was opened, selling all kinds of over-priced beverages and pastries. Quite apart from the fact that it forced anyone who wanted a coffee and some calories to part with an hour's worth of the minimum wage for the privilege, it also took a few hundred square feet of the already overcrowded waiting lobby and reception area of the main hospital.

Fortunately, I've never had to go for a fasting blood test in the hospital, always preferring the outlying clinics, but I reckon I'd be ready to commit murder if faced with all those calories whilst having had no breakfast.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3849 on: 19 February, 2013, 11:21:30 am »
Well, I'm pleased to observe this morning saw no increase in weight. Waist half an inch smaller after breakfast. Today is a fasting day, so skipping lunch essentially, plus a lo-cal dinner. We'll see what the scales and tape measure say in the morning.
Embrace your inner Fred.