Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300592 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3925 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:22:27 am »
Self control isn't something we should be relying on to lose weight. It's like the first 3 days of giving up smoking, every day.
Managing your (my) carbohydrate intake, and therefore insulin response, does seem to make "making the right food choices" easier. But I haven't lost weight despite a theoretical calorie deficit so I can't, really, recommend it.
I suspect I have, as the yanks say, "damaged my metabolism" by decades of poor diet, as well as taking drugs that make it harder to shed fat.
At the end of the day, there's more to who we are than how big we are.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3926 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:35:33 am »
I have sort of introduced a "no beer, cheese and cake when at home" rule for this month. I think the beer bit will be broken this evening when My Pal Jon comes round.

So far the rule doesn't seem not to be working in that I was exactly the same weight this morning as I was last Wednesday. The last few days, with some rather warmer weather, have also seen a return to sensible levels of cycling. I managed over 30 lovely miles yesterday without actually doing very much - just pottering around Southend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3927 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:28:07 am »
I have sort of introduced a "no beer, cheese and cake when at home" rule for this month. I think the beer bit will be broken this evening when My Pal Jon comes round.

I've tried to enforce a "no solitary drinking" rule - drinking at home is fine, as long as it's in company.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3928 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:40:39 am »
Down another half a kilo this week, steady today and yesterday. Which is a nice surprise, because I skipped a fasting day yesterday so I'd have enough fuel for a training ride. Onwards and downwards for me: might hit my target weight (for September) by the end of this month...
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3929 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:47:00 am »
I guess the fact that back in november(ish) I had to invest in an almost entirely new wardrobe of clothes (particularly trousers) as I'd lost 4 inches off the waist size is a good indicator :-)

Are your shirts less tight round the collar too? That's another good indicator of fat loss.

d.

A tape measure is cheap and reliable.
Measure neck, waist, bum, thighs.
Record, observe, discuss.
Thighs should hopefully be mostly muscle; see what you can pinch.

« Reply #3930 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:50:57 am »
As a company perk we get free gym membership, so I'm going to gym and have given myself the goal of getting to 20 consecutive chin ups (currently something pathetic like 7), so I'm now not fasting, eating "normally again", and will be back on the fasting when my strength is up at the levels I'd like to maintain. Gym is only 5 mins from the office and another one 10 mins from home, so can go daily. It will be interesting to see how this affects my weight.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3931 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:54:49 am »
I guess the fact that back in november(ish) I had to invest in an almost entirely new wardrobe of clothes (particularly trousers) as I'd lost 4 inches off the waist size is a good indicator :-)

Are your shirts less tight round the collar too? That's another good indicator of fat loss.

d.

I'm too much of a scruff to wear shirts with the collar done up  ;D

(Interesting thought though - I do have a huge bull-neck - almost outsize)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3932 on: 09 March, 2013, 02:14:58 pm »
Bad News: Roughly the same weight I was at the end of January  >:(

Better News: BF% down from 20-22% at the end of Jan to 16-18% today  :thumbsup:

Weight is such a rubbish metric. Yesterday it was 80.0, today more than a kilo more. WTF?

??? Your weight varies by a kilo or more every day, as you eat and excrete. That doesn't make it a poor measurement. Those other 80 kilos are quite meaningful.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3933 on: 09 March, 2013, 02:32:39 pm »
Bad News: Roughly the same weight I was at the end of January  >:(

Better News: BF% down from 20-22% at the end of Jan to 16-18% today  :thumbsup:

Weight is such a rubbish metric. Yesterday it was 80.0, today more than a kilo more. WTF?

??? Your weight varies by a kilo or more every day, as you eat and excrete. That doesn't make it a poor measurement. Those other 80 kilos are quite meaningful.

Quite. 'A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter'. You also drink and pee. Your bladder, stomach and other places of temporary storage won't always be empty when you weigh yourself.

« Reply #3934 on: 09 March, 2013, 03:31:07 pm »
As a company perk we get free gym membership, so I'm going to gym and have given myself the goal of getting to 20 consecutive chin ups (currently something pathetic like 7), so I'm now not fasting, eating "normally again", and will be back on the fasting when my strength is up at the levels I'd like to maintain. Gym is only 5 mins from the office and another one 10 mins from home, so can go daily. It will be interesting to see how this affects my weight.
Why stop fasting? The whole point of fasting is to encourage your system to burn fat.
It won't have much effect on gaining strength, that's about training and repetition.
You will definitely find you can do more chins if you are lighter.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3935 on: 09 March, 2013, 06:20:11 pm »
My lovely black moleskin trousers (which annoyingly don't have belt loops) are falling off me, all my knickers feel less tight and one of our homecare organisers commented yesterday that I was looking thinner. I am going to have to buy new trousers soon - I am having to hoik my jeans right up into ankleflappers and belt them really tightly to keep them up.
Or not. I just spent 45 minutes raking through the wardrobe and found jeans and several pairs of trousers I've been unable to wear for a couple of years which now fit - in fact some are slightly loose. And I am embarrassed by the number of pairs of black trousers I own. *considers opening small shop selling nothing but black trousers* I do need to buy new tops though; several of my work tops are getting holey.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3936 on: 09 March, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »
My weight has gone a bit out of control this last week or three. I am 73kg today so I'm 5kg heavier than 6 months ago. My milage is way up but I think my calorie consumption is up too. I will have to start refusing seconds of rhubarb crumble. :(

I'm 73 at the mo'. Want to be back at 68 for LEL. I have to stop using the change in terrain as an excuse to have double breakfast and mid morning cake. I may have to get back on MFP, as having to log everyfuckingthing that passes ones lips kinda spoils it.

I have to say, I think my fancy beans, grinder and aeropress habit isn't helping. Delicious cake goes so well with delicious coffee. Back on the water for a bit, I think.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3937 on: 09 March, 2013, 08:54:53 pm »
Am under 70kg at the moment but am about to fly to Istanbul for several days.  Love Turkish food.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

simonp

« Reply #3938 on: 09 March, 2013, 09:16:56 pm »
68kg isn’t necessary for LEL. But, it will help.

I’ve stopped the rot. I’m considering calorie counting to start slowly losing weight.

Chris S

« Reply #3939 on: 13 March, 2013, 06:47:29 am »
Well. I can't remember the last time I was under 80Kg, but it was at least 11 years ago when I quit smoking, took up M&Ms and inflated like a balloon.

:)

« Reply #3940 on: 13 March, 2013, 07:39:37 am »
That's nice dear.
Now why the Fuck isn't it working for me?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3941 on: 13 March, 2013, 07:43:36 am »
Hmm, the uncontrolled eating post my last audax is coming home to roost.  Set back by more than a month :-(

Time to start controlling the diet properly - it seems the cycling is no longer having the effect it once did.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #3942 on: 13 March, 2013, 08:59:01 am »
My weight has stayed fairly constant for the last 2 months. That's not bad going considering I haven't really been trying to lose weight. Well, I'd like to lose weight but I've not been making much any effort to watch what I eat. Still, I guess that is a good result as at least I'm not overeating. Now I need to start under eating again. Properly this time. And get back to trying to go for a run at least twice a week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3943 on: 13 March, 2013, 09:03:47 am »
Although I'm freshly back on the bike, I haven't ridden far or hard, and I've had a very indulgent week of food.  So I'm up again, but a modest 200g again. 

Now I'm getting back to health, I am planning to start recording food on MFP again, which should help.
Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3944 on: 13 March, 2013, 09:05:02 am »
Another loss this week. Which is good, as I was getting a bit down at the scales not moving.

Amazingly, I broke my no-carb rule and had a piece of cake while I was out one day with limited options. (Plus, I was missing cake). My breath was bad the day after, but it did seem to kick start weight loss again. Or, it was co-incidence. I'm leaning towards co-incidence, but I'm willing to experiment again  ;)

The good news is that my waist size is still shrinking.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3945 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:00:17 am »
Down another 0.3kg, which is not much.

However I skipped a fast day last week, then carbo-loaded the night before a 200k which I DNF'd after just a few kilometres (whiteout blizzards, I wasn't the only one who packed there and then).

So not bad considering. Back on to the full fasting regime this week. Target weight here I come!
Embrace your inner Fred.

essexian

« Reply #3946 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:29:14 am »
Sigh.... reporting back in after putting on nearly a stone since Christmas. The lack of bike based exercise (less than 100miles this year so far!) and my overeating is killing me.... literally. I can feel my diabetes coming back into my feet and fingers and I am drinking/weeing much more than I was.

So, started trying again on Saturday and a kilo has gone so far. Its a start but I need to get out on my bike and do some miles: swimming is good but my heart rate doesn't get above 60% of my maximum heart rate when doing so.

As for overeating... I am cutting down on fat and trying to eat more fruit and veg.... and no, chips do not count as being one of your five a day Ian!!!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3947 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:59:42 am »
I have not been weighed.
I am still eating sensibly.
I have lost only 1.5kg since New Year but that is still on target for 6kg loss for the year.
I have lost 9kg since the start of 2012 and will keep going...

simonp

« Reply #3948 on: 13 March, 2013, 11:03:04 am »
I have not been weighed.
I am still eating sensibly.
I have lost only 1.5kg since New Year but that is still on target for 6kg loss for the year.
I have lost 9kg since the start of 2012 and will keep going...

That's a nice steady weight loss rate.

I'm 73.0kg this morning. Roughly, static. I've been lazy the last couple of days and not cycled to work, been too tired. Manana.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3949 on: 13 March, 2013, 11:36:18 am »
I have a Very Fat Weekend eatathon coming up...