Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300797 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4200 on: 07 June, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
It's been very hard as I get sick of so many people saying 'are you eating again, ooooo are you eating again, ooo that's a lot of porridge' and it REALLY pisses me off.

Hahaha!

I reckon there's a lot of truth that eating more helps keep the weight down. I'm always at my lightest when I eat a lot. Big breakfast, then topping up the rest of the day is thought by some to be the way to go. Good sleep is also thought to be helpfull too.
I used to get stick for eating a lot from people at work. They really don't have a clue, so I just ignored them. But when I really started eating a lot when I was avergaing 100 miles a day and usualy sleeping rough on the weekends while working full time, I often made people feel sick just watching the sheer volume of food I could put away. ;D

Glad you've found something that works and even more glad you're feeling better for it. :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4201 on: 07 June, 2013, 07:06:15 pm »
Funny how no-one questions your eating habits when you are actually overweight isn't it?

Erm... in my experience, they do.  Quite a lot.

But I suspect the nosey-parker-moralising is just as irritating in either situation.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4202 on: 07 June, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »
I mostly do the dieting thing in the privacy and comfort of my own home and go for a pretty 'normal' meal in company.  If there's an online menu with calories for a chosen eatery, I'll choose my meal in advance.
I'll probably take my brother's 'skip the main course' advice for my nephew's forthcoming wedding banquet.
I suppose most of my meals are at home and David's also slimming, which helps.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4203 on: 07 June, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
I have neatened up my pig's ear table.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4204 on: 08 June, 2013, 11:57:57 am »
Funny how no-one questions your eating habits when you are actually overweight isn't it?

Erm... in my experience, they do.  Quite a lot.

But I suspect the nosey-parker-moralising is just as irritating in either situation.

My experience too, when you are eating healthily or unhealthily.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4205 on: 08 June, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
I am forever getting family members commenting on my eating habits. This can take two forms. Either, there's some left after a delicious family meal and everyone's full but "Give it to Peter - he'll eat it!" Or, others admonish me for coming back for seconds when the cook has produced something superb. I don't think anyone else in the family gets this sort of comment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4206 on: 08 June, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »
Not doing the dieting thing in public means discussing more interesting matters when eating out.
I have a healthy appetite and do not appear to be excessively light or heavy.

« Reply #4207 on: 09 June, 2013, 08:41:14 am »
I really need to get back on to this.   The table is a bit cockeye, but I have all the weights so will update it all in the next day or two.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #4208 on: 11 June, 2013, 05:33:31 pm »
So there was I this morning: weight checked, spreadsheet completed, go to YACF to update table, why is the date wrong?
It's Tuesday not Wednesday... :facepalm:
And I was feeling quite good about losing a couple of pounds as well.
Just better not eat too much tonight.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4209 on: 12 June, 2013, 07:55:17 am »
...and I'm the same weight this morning, phew!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4210 on: 12 June, 2013, 08:05:55 am »
Up again. 240km at the weekend might have something to do with that, as might a slip from the low carb wagon at the same time. I've been bouncing backwards and forwards for over a month now. I need to buckle down and get serious again.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4211 on: 12 June, 2013, 08:21:19 am »
I've gained half a kg in the last 7 days

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4212 on: 12 June, 2013, 12:42:15 pm »
I have not been weighed.
I am wearing M&S size 12 trousers for the first time EVAH.
That will do.

« Reply #4213 on: 19 June, 2013, 07:19:33 am »
Last 7 days: cycled 500+km with 5000+m climbing, gained more than 2kg.

Fuck off.

Chris S

« Reply #4214 on: 19 June, 2013, 07:59:54 am »
Last 7 days: cycled 500+km with 5000+m climbing, gained more than 2kg.

Me too. We know why it is. Cast your mind back to the drive home and what we ate  :facepalm:.

I know. We were tired and hungry.

My story: carb creep, eating too much, probably too much booze. I need to turn the austerity screw a bit harder again. More than 80Kg is unacceptable, Mr Smith  >:(.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4215 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:03:26 am »
I've not been very good at staying off the carbs lately either. I'm eating just enough carbs not to get the keto benefit when riding, which means I have to eat more carbs when I'm out to give me enough energy.

Time to be a lot stricter for the next few weeks.

« Reply #4216 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:31:56 am »
Me too. We know why it is. Cast your mind back to the drive home and what we ate  :facepalm:.

Well maybe. But compare that to what I ate on the ride itself: hardly anything. You kept telling me to eat more!

One day of monster carbs (and I didn't eat anything once I was home) should not equate to a 2kg weight gain. 

Chris S

« Reply #4217 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:39:09 am »
One day of monster carbs (and I didn't eat anything once I was home) should not equate to a 2kg weight gain.

Why not? If those carbs were stored away as glycogen (we'll have been empty - all that friken' climbing!) that's a lot of water retension.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4218 on: 19 June, 2013, 08:47:06 am »
I've been playing a game of 'leave the wallet at home' when I've come to work this week so i eat my packed lunch and nothing more.
Consequently I've dropped a kilo since the last few weeks  :thumbsup:  The 400 km ride is still presumably to have an effect also although my muscles seem rather stunningly well recovered already (not complaining!)
The wallet seems to have appeared in my bag today though - mmm, will power...mmmm
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4219 on: 19 June, 2013, 09:44:43 am »
gained almost 4kg since ditchling devil two weeks ago, hmm. checked the body fat - 17.8% (if this is any close to the truth). i don't mind piling on couple of kg's more - i'll need to maximise energy reserves before 10-day race in august.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4220 on: 19 June, 2013, 11:26:09 am »

simonp

« Reply #4221 on: 19 June, 2013, 11:32:05 am »
Eating left-overs from the National 400 this week. I made bangers and mash last night with the left-over potatoes. Both the mash and the gravy I made were very rich. 72.3kg this morning; basically flat for 6 months now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4222 on: 19 June, 2013, 11:56:44 am »
Eating left-overs from the National 400 this week.

A stark warning to anyone who doesn't finish inside the cut-off time.  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4223 on: 19 June, 2013, 12:31:58 pm »
A pound up this week.  That's what a weekend morris dancing does for you.  Too much BEER and CAEK and nothing like enough dancing to make up for it...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4224 on: 19 June, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »

Well maybe. But compare that to what I ate on the ride itself: hardly anything. You kept telling me to eat more!

I'm afraid it does!
A ketonaut probably has a negligible glycogen store.

Each gram of glycogen is tied to 3-4 grams of water and an adult typically has glycogen stores of around 400g. 400 + 4 Times 400 = 2,000...

Add in post-exercise swollen muscles and you get even larger fluid shifts.
The good news is most of this weight gain is NOT fat!

Do not despair!