Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300604 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4375 on: 25 September, 2013, 01:59:43 pm »
I might see if I can get a book out of a "let your kids cough all over your food at the beginning of term" diet. The lung diet, maybe.

On antibiotics now. Another kilo off this week. BMI 19.3.

« Reply #4376 on: 25 September, 2013, 02:07:01 pm »
Bigger market for my heartbreak-and-fags, I reckon. 106kg->69kg in 8 months.

Shame I neither smoke nor have a cheating fecker husband any more.  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4377 on: 25 September, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »
I might see if I can get a book out of a "let your kids cough all over your food at the beginning of term" diet. The lung diet, maybe.

On antibiotics now. Another kilo off this week. BMI 19.3.

I predicted your BMI would be below 20 in September; I hadn't considered your kids' lurgies as being the reason. GWS!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4378 on: 27 September, 2013, 10:14:33 pm »
Three and a half pounds lost last week. Not sure how I managed that!

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #4379 on: 01 October, 2013, 03:33:26 pm »
I'm waiting for this book to be published:

http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition/dp/1605985600/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380111210&sr=1-8&keywords=matt+fitzgerald

I expect this will draw heavily from 'Racing Weight'. I followed it for 6 weeks in the summer and lost half a stone. Back on the wagon as of yesterday...

Just common sense healthy eating a lot of it, but with some plausible science on nutrient timing. I think any diet will work if you are disciplined enough to follow it. As i like wholemeal everything, fruit, veg, nuts and large lumps of fish this works for me. It allows dark chocolate, red wine and you can eat what you like (cake!) when on audaxes. Perfect.
Still not a big fan of porridge.

SimonP: I'll bring the book down to a YACF Bristol meet if you want to flick through it

simonp

« Reply #4380 on: 01 October, 2013, 03:38:34 pm »
Racing weight? Already got it. I started following Matt's advice after reaching 75kg in 2009, and by summer 2010 was 68kg, and arguably the fittest I've ever been.

I'm currently once more 75kg, for pretty much the same reason as in 2009, not much riding post-LEL. That's changed with enforced commuting by bike the last two weeks (200 miles per week all of a sudden).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4381 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »
I seem to have gained weight again but I had the most ENORMOUS cankles at the time of my weigh-in last night, which have reduced since I had my feet on pillows  overnight and made umpteen bathroom visits. My waist & hips have not expanded so I'll just plough on...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4382 on: 02 October, 2013, 11:24:05 pm »
I have no idea how but I am down nearly 2kg in a week!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4383 on: 03 October, 2013, 05:48:30 am »
I have no idea how but I am down nearly 2kg in a week!

Positive thinking, that's what it'll be!  Well done  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4384 on: 03 October, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »
I think its time for me to come back in here now.

I would like to lose 7kg by the start of the TT season in March. I *should* be pretty lean at that weight. 2kg off this month, another 2kg off by the end of the year, then 1kg a month after that as I expect it to get really hard then.

No faddy anything here, just boring calorie counting. I'm going to start with 1500-1600 a day and see how things go on that.

« Reply #4385 on: 03 October, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »
1500-1600 calories a day isn't enough for someone who exercises as much as you, surely?

« Reply #4386 on: 03 October, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »
Well I have dropped my exercise a bit recently.... Couple hours on the bike most weekdays, some easy some intervals. 2-3 weights sessions, longer ride at weekends- often but not always sportive/audax, otherwise maybe 3 hours or so (would eat more on those days) I'm even having a full rest day each week for the next month or 2.

Tbh exercise seems to have no effect whatsoever on my weight- it's what goes in my gob

« Reply #4387 on: 03 October, 2013, 09:29:04 pm »
That might be "less" for you, but it's still a lot! I'd agree exercise makes little difference, but I also think "what" is more relevant than "how many calories" go in your gob, and I'd still say 1600 would lower your metabolic rate enough to make weight loss harder.
Good luck, anyway. I'd still like to lose 20 kg, and have wanted to for at least 3 years without success, so what do I know?

« Reply #4388 on: 03 October, 2013, 10:04:23 pm »
What is it with the Audax New Year and the traditional "festive spread" making a return? I am trying my hardest to avoid the real ale, pies and chocolate before my final big ride of the year, the Dartmoor Devil.

Having a new job which again involves selling bloody tasty food is making this difficult. :'(

I haven't gone on the scales, cause i'd rather not know. Ignorance is bliss right?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4389 on: 04 October, 2013, 06:35:01 am »
Friday weigh in just completed.  I have lost three quarters of a pound in the last week which effectively means my weight has remained the same.  If I'm honest with myself I've been bloody lucky!  I've deviated from the SW regime and had too much bread this week, milk too.  The Outlaws came over at the weekend and I made a wicked quiche and then proceeded to eat an enormous chunk of it - helpful.

But still, I've lost 9 pounds since the beginning of September so I'm pleased.  There's still a way to go before I'm comfortably below 12 stone.

Good luck to everyone else for the coming week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4390 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »
Well done OD! I've not lost 9lb since the start of the *year* but I console myself with little factoids which suggest there *is* fat loss.

There's less fat on my limbs and I'm in trousers bought in the spring that are WAY too big. They're a size smaller than the ones I wore in 2011.

Losing fat when you are as idle as I am was never going to be easy or quick.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4391 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »
I am learning this dieting thing isn't easy!

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #4392 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:28:40 pm »
I am considering doing that veg drink diet for a month or so, has anyone tried it?

Chris S

« Reply #4393 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »
I am considering doing that veg drink diet for a month or so, has anyone tried it?

No. Sounds a bit... well... green to me  :sick:.

Generally speaking, eating regimens that involve the phrase "that xxx diet" are viewed as fads - especially by some around here. I've been following a ketogenic diet, and many would say that's a fad diet, despite the fact it's a close approximation to the "normal" human diet for nigh-on 2 million years.

Anyway, I digress... is this the "will-it-blend?" of diets - whereby you blend combinations of veggies into a (normally green) goo and drink it? Wasn't there a documentary on You-tube about some chap doing it?

« Reply #4394 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:01:04 pm »
Soz Chris, that might have been me lol- was just a throwaway comment really- people at work are always on the Special K diet, or only drink green mush diet, or only eat on a Tuesday and Thursday..... I like the sound of everything I read about the keto diet but obv cant do it.

I stuck to under 1600 calories yesterday but went to bed really hungry, woke up hungry, and had 30-35 miles to do before breakfast. Was very hungry for my porridge. I will try and keep it up a bit longer, but might need to be closer to 1800 not to gnaw my arm off.

Was down 0.4kg this morning, 6.6kg to go *sigh*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4395 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:07:38 pm »
Lady Cavendish, try Slimming World.  You can do it on-line rather than go to the meetings if you prefer.  And once you get the hang of it (like us) you don't need to do either, we just buy their monthly magazine which is excellent and full of recipes.  Their Free and Easy (or some such) plan means you can eat unlimited amounts of a massive list of foods.  The chances of you going hungry are remote.

« Reply #4396 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:12:01 pm »
Things like that are never really going to work that well, SW recipes all look really nice, but during the week, I don't have time to cook. Everything has to be on the go stuff, or stuff I can make like salads to take to work. I'm never going to sit down and have a proper meal at the table in the evenings, I don't have time for it :(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4397 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »
Things like that are never really going to work that well, SW recipes all look really nice, but during the week, I don't have time to cook. Everything has to be on the go stuff, or stuff I can make like salads to take to work. I'm never going to sit down and have a proper meal at the table in the evenings, I don't have time for it :(

You might have a point.  I am out and about for work during much of the week and "food on the go" can be a challenge.  Thankfully The Mrs and I share evening cooking duties depending on who is most available.

The other thing worth noting about SW recipes is that because they are low fat and sugar they often have lots of ingredients to add the flavor you'd normally get from fat and sugar.  Therefore they can be fiddly and we now have an extensive arsenal of herbs and spices - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  That said, most of the food we eat is bloody good.  The stuffed peppers we had last night weren't up to much but they are an exception.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4398 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »
I appear to have lost about 6kg from somewhere.  Not sure how that happened...   ???

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4399 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:39:39 pm »
I appear to have lost about 6kg from somewhere.  Not sure how that happened...   ???
Have you checked down the back of the bedside table? It might be in with the wires.