Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300660 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4450 on: 25 November, 2013, 09:00:30 pm »
I've spent the month so far just vegetating, cycled less than 30 miles in 25 days, and eating BADSTUFFS! Weight is UP 4kg in 25 days and that has got to be fettled. The 24/12 target is obviously not going to happen in any positive way so I'll just try for damage limitation.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4451 on: 29 November, 2013, 09:30:07 am »
I got my hands on a Slimming World literature pack.
I’m giving it a shot and have lost 10lb since 1st November 2013.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4452 on: 29 November, 2013, 11:20:32 am »
Don't know my weight. Saw various members of extended family last night, many of whom I'd not seen since summer. They all complimented me on looking slimmer so I think that's a WIN.
House smells slightly ketotic...

Chris S

« Reply #4453 on: 29 November, 2013, 11:30:03 am »
House smells slightly ketotic...

"Mmm... Lilt... totally tropical."

</geraldc>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4454 on: 29 November, 2013, 03:34:01 pm »
Well, this morning was my final weigh in before my period of abstinence (November) ends.  I am 0.25 of a pound under 13 stone.  So I have lost nearly a stone since the beginning of September and Dry November enabled me to drop below my 13st 4lb plateau on which I have been stuck for much of October.  All in all I'm very pleased.

Dry November wasn't too bad except I found visiting pubs a miserable experience.  As far as my brain is concerned pubs are made for drinking beer in, non-alcoholic drinks just don't cut it.  I appreciate this doesn't reflect well on me and my hat goes off to all those that can cheerfully sit in a pub without a foaming pint.

Come 0001hrs on Sunday morning (yes I am staying up especially) I shall be back on the booze.  Whilst the diary for December is full of eating and drinking opportunities I hope I will show some restraint and not put on everything I have lost.  If I do I won't beat myself up, at least I know how to get rid of it again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4455 on: 29 November, 2013, 03:45:48 pm »
Well done OD!

No point tipping your hat to me; I've never liked beer. Pubs do cater better for people like me than in the past.

« Reply #4456 on: 03 December, 2013, 02:57:15 pm »
I had a medical this morning and it turns out I'm overweight.  The cruelty of it!  I've still lost well over a stone - and I'm 11/3, but I've lost an inch in height as well.  I always thought I was 5 ft 7 - and a bit.  I'm not, I'm just under 5 ft 6, that means my BMI is 25.5.  How did that happen?

« Reply #4457 on: 03 December, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »
I had a medical this morning and it turns out I'm overweight.  The cruelty of it!  I've still lost well over a stone - and I'm 11/3, but I've lost an inch in height as well.  I always thought I was 5 ft 7 - and a bit.  I'm not, I'm just under 5 ft 6, that means my BMI is 25.5.  How did that happen?
Not sure but you are not alone!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4458 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:13:04 am »

Ah here's the good news. You can still read BMI from your actual height (ie, the one you remember before your spine started shrinking). At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it (about 2" down from my original 5' 10") As none of it is from your legs, you still need to read bike sizing for the previous height so it makes perfect sense to me

« Reply #4459 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:47:51 am »

Ah here's the good news. You can still read BMI from your actual height (ie, the one you remember before your spine started shrinking). At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it (about 2" down from my original 5' 10") As none of it is from your legs, you still need to read bike sizing for the previous height so it makes perfect sense to me

I'm sure there's a bit of wishful thinking in that argument, at least false logic.  (Thank you for trying to help though).  For the same volume, a short object is going to be wider than a taller one.  What's important is visceral fat - waist size.  I couldn't understand why although my BMI was under 25 my waist measurement was still in the danger zone.

simonp

« Reply #4460 on: 04 December, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »
BMI only sees the total weight. A BMI of <25 doesn’t mean you’re good (in fact, there are no guarantees), if you have a larger waist then this is an indication you need to lose body fat, and possibly gain muscle mass.

Conversely a BMI >25 doesn’t necessarily mean things are bad, either.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4461 on: 04 December, 2013, 12:06:46 pm »
I'm finally back on the dieting wagon. I fell off big style lately. Work and life stress meant that I've not been low-carbing since before LEL, and my weight has suffered.

It wasn't just that I was eating carbs again, I was eating lots of carbs. Now I've finally managed to get into low carb eating again, after a few tries, and it feels good. I just feel much healthier when I'm not eating carbs.

My weight has gone up over the period since I failed LEL, and I've not been weighing myself. Next week I'm going to start the weigh-ins again though.

It's hard work this losing weight stuff.

« Reply #4462 on: 04 December, 2013, 12:09:35 pm »
BMI only sees the total weight. A BMI of <25 doesn’t mean you’re good (in fact, there are no guarantees), if you have a larger waist then this is an indication you need to lose body fat, and possibly gain muscle mass.

Conversely a BMI >25 doesn’t necessarily mean things are bad, either.

Agreed.  The long and the short of it is that I need to lose fat and put on muscle.

« Reply #4463 on: 04 December, 2013, 06:37:48 pm »
Next year (for I will need to be doing this again  >:() I am going to switch the scales to kilos and do the whole thing in metric!
Far too confusing the other way round.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4464 on: 04 December, 2013, 07:28:05 pm »
Next year (for I will need to be doing this again  >:() I am going to switch the scales to kilos and do the whole thing in metric!
Far too confusing the other way round.

I am bilingual but I've not been weighed of late. Whether I'm 9st 12lb or 62.5kg makes no odds. I'd guess that's where I am.

« Reply #4465 on: 19 December, 2013, 06:26:51 pm »
Just posted the last weigh in of the year. (I am not weighing myself on Christmas morning!)
Not a good year.
The target was to lose 16 pounds over the year. I've lost 3.  >:(
So I will be back on 8th January...

S

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4466 on: 19 December, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »
My target has remained elusive, though I have got pretty near*. This time last year I was nearly 80kg, now just over 71kg. Unlikely to hit 70kg on 25th but haven't done too badly.

Will keep going in the new year and hopefully will reach target weight at some point. Then it will be a case of trying to maintain that weight, or something close to it, throughout the year, while raising fitness and hopefully converting flab into muscle tissue.

So still plenty of challenges ahead, they will just be more nuanced in 2014 (hopefully).

* - Actually not quite true. I hit my first target, 74kg, quite early in the year and revised it a more ambitious target that I haven't managed to attain.
Embrace your inner Fred.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4467 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:16:45 pm »
New layout, into which it is hopefully easier to enter our weekly data.
If you would also like to record your waist measurement (it being felt that height:waist ratio is a better indicator of health than the notoriously pants BMI) you can use this table which simonp can graph, too.

Top work. Thanks for doing this, fboab.

Although I've not been checking my weight for the last couple of months - one way to avoid bad news... Back on the wagon in 2014!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4468 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »
If you would also like to record your waist measurement (it being felt that height:waist ratio is a better indicator of health than the notoriously pants BMI) you can use this table which simonp can graph, too.
I have even bought a tape measure for this very purpose. Can't remember where I've put it but I've got nearly a fortnight to find it!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4469 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:40:14 pm »
My tape measure was 'borrowed' and apparently returned but I can't see it under the pile of junk on my desk.
A big belly is not my problem; the waistband on my M&S Size 12 trousers is 5cm too big whilst they are a snug fit round the butt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4470 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »
I know the past 3 months or so have been disastrous for for me weight-wise. I'm up to 120kg, which I haven't seen since I started cycling again about 8 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4471 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »
I'm around 10 stone (63.5kg) now.
That's probably less than I've been since my first year at university.

I'm aiming for 9 stone. I don't know if I'll succeed; with my degree of inactivity (and my love of chocolate and CAIK), weight loss is a challenge.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4472 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
Thanks to some fairly stressful developments on the personal front, I lost interest in weight loss midway through last year and so I'm pretty much where I was at Jan 1 2013 - about 90-91kg. This year I've set myself the challenge of getting round the full-fat 237km/5000m Wiggle Dragon Ride in June, and to get up those hills ahead of the broom wagon I'm going to need to have trimmed down a fair bit! I doubt 80kg is realistic in 6 months, but that's what my target will be.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4473 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:10:13 am »
High ideals are all very well, but when you come in from a cold, invigorating walk and your body craves cake, what are you to do?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4474 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:16:10 am »
Things haven't been going well for eighteen months now.  I never really got back riding after my shoulder operation, and my broken shoulder this year has really thrown things out.

But I'm very overweight again and, even though breathing precludes cycling for the moment, I still have to make a bit of an effort at losing some damn weight this year, since it's impacting my health.
Getting there...