Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300649 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4575 on: 17 January, 2014, 07:00:10 am »
The weekly post poo, pre breakfast weigh in took place this morning.  1.5 pounds lost over the last week  :thumbsup: So I am back down to 13 stone 3 and a half.  I got stuck on this weight for most of October so it's going to be interesting to see if history repeats.

« Reply #4576 on: 17 January, 2014, 08:58:06 am »
I hope you're not dieting, OD. It'll only make it worse.

Science says so

Apparently it's enemy no 1 we need to tackle.

Bollocks to moderation. Just ditch the sugar. And probably the wheat, too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4577 on: 17 January, 2014, 09:02:27 am »
Nope, I am eating sensibly.

Fitness needs to improve so I am thinking about what exercise I should do, the weather isn't making cycling particularly desirable.   

Chris S

« Reply #4578 on: 17 January, 2014, 09:40:14 am »
Fitness needs to improve so I am thinking about what exercise I should do, the weather isn't making cycling particularly desirable.

Weights. Just look at fboab's graph upthread (not the Bieber one).

Lose the sugar and starch. Do weights. Once a week/fortnight, HIIT.

You don't need to go to the gym. Push-ups, planks, crunches and so on can all be done while watching telly ;).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4579 on: 17 January, 2014, 09:42:24 am »
Yes, thanks, food for thought.

Chris S

« Reply #4580 on: 17 January, 2014, 09:42:55 am »

« Reply #4581 on: 17 January, 2014, 10:59:41 am »
Most people who undertake ‘Reducing diets’ are Endomorphs. They wish to be Ectomorphs and fail, because their genetics won’t let them succeed. Eating temptations overcome them.

An Endomorph can be slim. Wartime and post war food rationing proved that.

« Reply #4582 on: 17 January, 2014, 02:57:33 pm »
Surely we're all aiming to be mesomorphs

« Reply #4583 on: 17 January, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »
Not in my experience.
Most women come to the gym with the desire to get to less than 25% fat being shown photos of women who are 25% fat.
A lot look at the photos of 20% fat women and change their minds, opting to aim for 20%.

red marley

« Reply #4584 on: 17 January, 2014, 03:13:24 pm »
According to a film I saw once, contact with xenomorphs is quite good for rapid weight loss.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4585 on: 17 January, 2014, 03:19:28 pm »
If dieting and moderation have not led me to lose 10kg over the last two years and my partner to lose 15kg over the same time, I don't know what has.

I can't do weights.
David does do weights.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4586 on: 17 January, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

red marley

« Reply #4587 on: 17 January, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #4588 on: 17 January, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »
There you go, Ectomorph and Endomorph.

In other news, we've had a huge sweet shop-style jar of cinder toffee delivered to the office. I am finding it incredibly hard to keep my hands out of it.  :(

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4589 on: 17 January, 2014, 10:36:32 pm »
Well, that was a bit of a "Wake up call"!  I rechecked and have managed to lose just OVER 2 kg in the past two weeks, I was quite chuffed with myself. Unfortunately on Thursday night I started to feel really, seriously unwell and scared that I was going to collapse! I removed my fears by taking the easy option and collapsing with what I can only think of as a Diabetes Prompted incident. BGs were, when I pulled round to a vague level of sensibility, 26.2 on the meter and when I checked again, about 3am, had only gone down to 19.6! I've been fooling myself that the drugs alone will keep the Diabetes at bay and it is now, not the first of these episodes, obvious that I need to do the work myself and use the medications as a Back up to sensible eating and exercise. Bread and potatoes seem to be the real BAD for me and I am, as of February the 1st, handing total control of my eating to my brother Sprogs. I eat it if he tells me to and don't eat it unless he tells me to. No more Pizza and Pringles nights, No More Pork and Pringles nights, No More Kebab and Pringles nights.. can you see the pattern?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4590 on: 17 January, 2014, 10:48:03 pm »
felt really carp today , dizzy , close to vomiting etc.
Could only be cured by eating lots of bread and jam and drinking tea. Add all that to the 3 course dinner on Wednesday and I am not looking forward to next Wednesday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4591 on: 17 January, 2014, 11:06:47 pm »
Well, that was a bit of a "Wake up call"!  I rechecked and have managed to lose just OVER 2 kg in the past two weeks, I was quite chuffed with myself. Unfortunately on Thursday night I started to feel really, seriously unwell and scared that I was going to collapse! I removed my fears by taking the easy option and collapsing with what I can only think of as a Diabetes Prompted incident. BGs were, when I pulled round to a vague level of sensibility, 26.2 on the meter and when I checked again, about 3am, had only gone down to 19.6! I've been fooling myself that the drugs alone will keep the Diabetes at bay and it is now, not the first of these episodes, obvious that I need to do the work myself and use the medications as a Back up to sensible eating and exercise. Bread and potatoes seem to be the real BAD for me and I am, as of February the 1st, handing total control of my eating to my brother Sprogs. I eat it if he tells me to and don't eat it unless he tells me to. No more Pizza and Pringles nights, No More Pork and Pringles nights, No More Kebab and Pringles nights.. can you see the pattern?

IMHO a blood sugar of 25 or 20 needs more than just diet and tablets, it needs medical intervention and, quite possibly, insulin.
What was your latest sugar?

Sustained sugar over 7 is bad for your eyes, kidneys, blood vessels and nerves. I am not a diabetologist but really think you need to get and keep your blood sugar down.

« Reply #4592 on: 17 January, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »
There you go, Ectomorph and Endomorph.

In other news, we've had a huge sweet shop-style jar of cinder toffee delivered to the office. I am finding it incredibly hard to keep my hands out of it.  :(

Another attribute of a good dieter is 'Will power'.

But there are some morons around who haven't got any,,,     ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4593 on: 17 January, 2014, 11:18:32 pm »
A good dieter needs Will Power and Perseverance.
Losing a significant amount of weight takes a long time and needs sustained effort.

citoyen

« Reply #4594 on: 18 January, 2014, 08:08:10 am »
But there are some morons around who haven't got any,,,     ;D

Hey, I resemble that remark!

As well as Will Power and Perseverance, you also need Brutal Honesty - it's too easy to think you're on the right track with a few token visits to the gym, cutting out that second glass of wine etc, then spoil it all by dipping your hand in the toffee jar when you think no one is looking.  :-[

Pedaldog, your post is rather sobering. Very best of luck (and Will Power and Perseverance) with your attempts to deal with your situation.

« Reply #4595 on: 18 January, 2014, 08:56:45 am »
I think my point over the last 12 months has repeatedly been that all the research shows Will Power is a finite resource you shouldn't be relying on because it runs out. Much better to amend your habits so that food choices aren't a choice but an automatic decision which doesn't use up that resource.
(And change your diet so you're not as hungry but still lose weight.)
Anything that is a constant battle will be a fight you ultimately lose, because very very few people can fight constantly for very long.
'Dog, your story is very sobering. Hope you can find a path that works for you.

Chris S

« Reply #4596 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:08:54 am »
Blimey, Pedaldog - 26.2?! And I was worried when mine was 6.5 one morning  ::-)

Do as Helly says - you need to go see your doc.

« Reply #4597 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:33:13 am »
.4lbs put on this week. Have struggled to really motivate myself to restrict my habits this week. Wife goes back to work this week, so I am able to feed myself which tends to result in weightloss. She is a bit of a feeder that girl...

« Reply #4598 on: 18 January, 2014, 11:05:37 am »
I phoned my GF on Thursday morning and she said

"I'm just stepping onto the scales.
Oh no, I've put on 1/4 lb,,, "

"So you haven't lost and haven't gained then." I said.

"No. I've PUT ON 1/4 lb."

"No you haven't. The phone you're holding weighs 1/4 lb.. "

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4599 on: 18 January, 2014, 11:21:45 am »
Thanks for the concerns. I'm back down to the 9's and am seeing the doctor next week again to see what we can do.  My dietary control input starts in a Definite way now though and I will try to help things as best I can.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!