Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300374 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4700 on: 28 January, 2014, 02:11:45 pm »
Totally a breakfast person. I can do fasted exercise, but only if I get up and go straight out. My breakfast makes me feel full, but within 20min of eating it, I'm fine exercising.

6.5hrs sleep
2 pints of tea with soya milk
Chopped apple / 30g oatbran / 200ml soya milk
Ride 20km with ~250m of ascent
Sit on my arse
Drink 1l of fizzy water
Espresso
Eat a packet of spicy cous cous and an apple or two
Drink 1l of fizzy water
Espresso
Ride 20km with ~250mk of ascent
Eat a 6-800kcal meal, usually with salad.
Chopped apple / 30g oatbran / 200ml soya milk
2 pints of tea with soya milk

If I snack, it'll be a couple of slices of Vogel bread (oat and something or soya and linseed) with marmite around 9pm. The apple and oatbran gloop is plenty to keep me going until lunch.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4701 on: 28 January, 2014, 02:24:27 pm »
breakfast makes you hungrier for the rest of the day - especially if it's carby and kicks off a blood-sugar surge/crash cycle.

Interesting.

The breakdown of my muesli + apple juice is 93g carbs, 2g fat, 9g protein. But I more typically have two poached eggs on granary toast with butter and marmite, which works out at 37g carbs, 18g fat, 23g protein - a huge difference, even though the overall calorie count is roughly the same. And I do find the eggs do a much better job of keeping me going until lunch. In light of your comments, that breakdown might explain why.

If I'm doing the longer ride to work, I save breakfast until after the ride, sometimes not until I get to work at 9.30-10am, otherwise I have it first thing when I wake up, usually by 7am at the latest.

On Saturdays, the ritual is a substantial cooked breakfast/brunch at around 11.30am, after parkrun, and then nothing until teatime.

Today was muesli for breakfast with a cup of tea, short ride to the station, one cup of coffee at work, 8km lunchtime run, and now I'm about to have my lunch of leftover spag bol (585kcal, 85g carbs, 13g fat, 33g protein). I try to delay lunch as late as possible as my next meal will be when I get home at about 8pm and I want to avoid the temptation to snack between lunch and dinner.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4702 on: 28 January, 2014, 02:37:27 pm »
I have to avoid breakfast, but it's ok as I'm rarely hungry in the morning. The times I put on weight last year, were when I was on holiday and it was buffet breakfast in hotels. If I've paid for a breakfast breakfast, I'm going to abuse the hell out of it.

« Reply #4703 on: 28 January, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »
I find it easier to eat a breakfast - around 6:30 some home-made muesli with plenty fruit and nuts, some shredded wheat (littlun's), a couple of dessertspoonsful of yogurt and some semi skimmed milk. (can manage skimmed except on tea/coffee). Cup of tea, no sugar.

That means I can make it to lunchtime (12:30) with no problems and maybe a couple of cups of tea. Lunch will then be a pint of ss milk with some protein powder (lemon meringue flavour!) and "instand oats" in a shake, plus a banana.

The evening meal is "normal", though with fewer carbs that before (I'm trying for modification not wholesale change, and I do like my baked potatoe with my salad).

Evening drinks sun-thurs will be fruit juices diluted with fizzy water or plain water.  No alcohol.

Fri/sat evenings - well that's my cheese and biscuit supper and a half bottle of wine "treat". A reduction of 1/2 to 1 bottles over my pre-christmas intake.   :o

I'm thinking though that I need to start eating off smaller plates - the oval plates we use aren't that big, but still leave a lot of empty space which my tendency is want to fill (I'm not doing so, but smaller plates would help) - which is opposite to me wifes feelings!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #4704 on: 28 January, 2014, 03:02:31 pm »
I'm not feeling hungry any more having not eaten anything (but I have had a coffee with milk).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4705 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:31:22 am »
I'm a bit disappointed that this morning's weight was the same as last week's. I'll just have to try again for another kg's loss for next week.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4706 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:39:53 am »
How in the name of all that's holy to anyone can I have spent a week throwing my guts up and barely eating a thing, and yet only lost 100g? :o
Getting there...

« Reply #4707 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:50:24 am »
Clarion, the same happens to me. Regularly. Sometimes I don't even lose the 100g. Sucks.

The porridge has done nothing this morning. Still starving. *sigh*

« Reply #4708 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:04:32 am »
Audaxing makes me gain weight. I don't eat more riding than sitting at home, I don't get 'THE HUNGER' afterwards any more, but I still gain weight, in that: if I ride 200k at the weekend, by the Wednesday weigh in, the metabolic gunk is still hanging around (at least I assume that's what it is).

So, up to 80.9 this morning from a dehydrated low of 78.9 on Sunday. I had this last year, too, I 'use' the calories at the weekend, but the mid week weigh ins are higher. Thanks to Greater Anglia I only had 1 weights session last week, that can't help.

citoyen

« Reply #4709 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:06:29 am »
Best news for me this week is that my waist is down by 2cm.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4710 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:06:39 am »
I get the same- it normally takes till Thurs/Fri for my weight to go back to normal after a long run/ride at the weekend..... most of my running friends say the same about marathons.

« Reply #4711 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:07:39 am »
Citoyen, I've seen the pics, you have nothing to worry about anyway ;)

red marley

« Reply #4712 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:28:23 am »
For every cm of waistline lost on Citoyen his pic in That Calendar gains a cm around the middle. But unlike Dorian's, this will be visible in thousands of kitchens across middle England.

« Reply #4713 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:31:04 am »

The only true measurement.

How does it compare with your thighs?

citoyen

« Reply #4714 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:31:25 am »
Citoyen, I've seen the pics, you have nothing to worry about anyway ;)

It's amazing what can be achieved with careful lighting and a bit of judicious Photoshopping. ;)

I know that compared to the weight/waistline problems experienced by many contributors to this thread, I have absolutely nothing to worry about. However, I had got to the point a year or so ago where I was fitting into 30in trousers, and now I've slipped back to comfortably filling a 32. Getting under 30 again is the target.

For every cm of waistline lost on Citoyen his pic in That Calendar gains a cm around the middle. But unlike Dorian's, this will be visible in thousands of kitchens across middle England.

;D

Thousands is a bit optimistic.

citoyen

« Reply #4715 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:33:35 am »

Good question. I've not been measuring my thighs. Maybe I should. Neck measurement is constant, but I don't think I have much to lose there anyway.

« Reply #4716 on: 29 January, 2014, 10:51:25 am »
I'm afraid I do measure my thighs. But mostly because that's where I carry a lot of my excess. That, and smaller thighs would get me in smaller trousers, it's a long time since trousers fitted me around the waist, they're way (and sometimes way way way) too big round the waist if they fit my thighs.
Surely all cyclists get that, to a greater or lesser extent?

« Reply #4717 on: 29 January, 2014, 11:00:01 am »
Yep. Jeans are impossible. The thought of wearing skinny jeans makes me spit out my coffee.

citoyen

« Reply #4718 on: 29 January, 2014, 11:03:42 am »
My old clothes drawer is full of trousers that have worn through around the inner thigh area. Even my expensive cycling-specific Swrve jeans with the supposedly reinforced gusset went in the same area.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4719 on: 29 January, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »

The only true measurement.

My waist varies by up to 3cm depending on the state of my digestion.
I think my hip measurement is the true indication.

Neither has changed much of late. The 'smaller' clothing may be easing in fit, though I could be deluded.

My Calorie intake is lowish and I'm only eating a little junk.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4720 on: 29 January, 2014, 02:19:47 pm »
Back up to 74.6kg this morning.

Could possibly be the effect of riding a 200k DIY yesterday, with associated carbohydrate intake (though no cake). Had to skip a scheduled fasting day too: fasting the day before a ride doesn't work for me.

Will try to stick to the fasting regime this week and see if I can lose that extra. However there appear to be worrying signs I am oscillating around a post-Festivus 'normalised' weight of approximately 74kg. Maybe it will take a while longer thatn I thought to burn off all those mince pies, roast tatties, etc.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4721 on: 29 January, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »
I've found that getting back into fasting, I have to kick off with the 2 day fast to get things going again. I'm on alternate day, and also cutting back on carbs.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4722 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:01:23 pm »
Interesting. I may need to do something more radical than the current 5:2 fasting (though it might help if I actually stuck to that programme for a while).

Back in summer 2012, I was 86kg. I gave up booze in September of that year and weight just fell off until it plateaued at around 79kg. Then I tried 5:2 fasting and lost around 6kg, but again plateaued around 72/73kg.

Whether the limit is this 5:2 method or my own willpower is debatable: I suspect the latter.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4723 on: 29 January, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »
I've found that getting back into fasting, I have to kick off with the 2 day fast to get things going again. I'm on alternate day, and also cutting back on carbs.

Plot your progress performance as a fourth order polynomial.
If it deflects up at an extrapolated point in the future, that indicates the lightest your regime will ever get you.
From your very first data point, calculate a ‘Target glidepath’ based on 1% per week. The line will be a curve.
Your ‘Ideal’ weight will be your present weight less the weight of your surplus fat over and above your ‘Ideal’ fat%.
‘Ideal’ fat% can be found on the US Navy recruit information website ( it used to be ).

This means that your ‘Ideal’ weight is independent of muscle mass. For example, It’s your physique with the ‘lean to A1’ fat % on it. About 14 – 17 % for a 20 yr old man.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #4724 on: 29 January, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »
Up a bit this week (95.6 from 95.2kg) mainly due to feeding a cold. Went for a 100k ride and after that my weight was 94.4, but that's probably just because I wasn't drinking enough.
Jennifer - Walker of hills