Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300825 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4725 on: 29 January, 2014, 09:42:06 pm »
Up a bit as well, due to too many awaydays and no control over meals. Starting on a good note today though, mug of soupy stew and a roll at lunchtime and then soup again for tea. Travelling until weekend so food temptation awaits.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4726 on: 30 January, 2014, 12:19:46 am »
I'm down from when I started, only 1.6 kg but still down, but have gone up a bit this week. No Cycling, Little walking and too much eating BAD!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

essexian

« Reply #4727 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:37:23 am »
No weight loss for me this week.... a take away on Sunday night and a business trip along with little or no exercise this week saw to that!

Will do better next week....honest.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4728 on: 30 January, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »

Plot your progress performance as a fourth order polynomial.
If it deflects up at an extrapolated point in the future, that indicates the lightest your regime will ever get you.
From your very first data point, calculate a ‘Target glidepath’ based on 1% per week. The line will be a curve.
Your ‘Ideal’ weight will be your present weight less the weight of your surplus fat over and above your ‘Ideal’ fat%.
‘Ideal’ fat% can be found on the US Navy recruit information website ( it used to be ).

This means that your ‘Ideal’ weight is independent of muscle mass. For example, It’s your physique with the ‘lean to A1’ fat % on it. About 14 – 17 % for a 20 yr old man.

Eh? I looked up your maths terminology and obtained a haunting reminder of school mathematics which I presumably failed to understand properly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

Embrace your inner Fred.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4729 on: 31 January, 2014, 09:01:45 am »
Oh No!  This is the first month for six that I am heavier on the last day than the first.  02/01/14 79.2, 31/01/14 80.1

« Reply #4730 on: 31 January, 2014, 09:28:34 am »
0.8 kg UP this week.

Two Tanita Bioimpedence. One bathroom scales ( at home ) and one handleld ( at work's medical dept ); and skinfolds show 0.5% DOWN.

Happy bunny.

« Reply #4731 on: 31 January, 2014, 09:44:33 am »
4kg lost since Jan 1st. Dry Jan, virtually!! no snacking,  smaller portions (& plates) and despite (sadly) limited cycling...  :{)>
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4732 on: 31 January, 2014, 11:32:35 am »
No alcohol for 4 and a half weeks, more exercise than normal, no significant changes to diet, total lost just over 1kg. Sigh.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4733 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »
No alcohol for 4 and a half weeks, more exercise than normal, no significant changes to diet, total lost just over 1kg. Sigh.

That's roughly what happened with me in November.  Frustrating.

« Reply #4734 on: 05 February, 2014, 08:25:45 am »
I've lost 7cm off my waist. Surely that's wrong. Hell, that means I'm only 6cm too short!

(Mr Gym Boss who was there when I pronounced this joy thought that was hysterically funny).

Chris S

« Reply #4735 on: 05 February, 2014, 08:29:09 am »
I've lost 7cm off my waist. Surely that's wrong. Hell, that means I'm only 6cm too short!

(Mr Gym Boss who was there when I pronounced this joy thought that was hysterically funny).

I can believe it - 5cm gone from me too (Waist - WAIST!!).

We're disappearing babe. Before our very eyes babe.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4736 on: 05 February, 2014, 08:30:18 am »

Are you losing the ambition to get taller? I'm not. In fact, I'm going to insist on my right to be the correct height for the weight I am - save all this exercise and diet crap. All I'm asking for is around a foot. Surely they can spare that?

« Reply #4737 on: 05 February, 2014, 08:40:12 am »
I think you're right Tim. I'm actually a 6'6" man, trapped in a short woman's body. If only I could sort the height out, I'd be a faster rower (all that leverage), runner AND a better cyclist. Taller men are almost always faster.

(Sorry Chris. Things may change. We'll need a new tandem, for a start.)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4738 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:00:36 am »
I've only ever wanted to be two inches taller. Not much to ask, is it?

No meaningful changes to any of my measurements this week. (That special cream I got off the internet was clearly a waste of money.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4739 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:11:43 am »
I should probably sort out a tape measure. I know clothes are less tight, but when I last tried using a tape measure, I got depressed by the fact that even though my jeans said 32, it was just flattery by the clothing manufacturers. I think the only place they don't lie is collar size.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4740 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:53:02 am »
No change to my weight, and I have gained 4cm on my waist.

Not good. I must confess I've been slack on fasting, only managing 6:1. The waistline is not a welcome development however. I put it down to a relative lack of exercise over the past week.

Must try harder!
Embrace your inner Fred.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4741 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:54:32 am »

As helly said upthread, waistlines can fluctuate significantly. I'd wait until I had several more data points before worrying it was a trend.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #4742 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:56:57 am »
(Sorry Chris. Things may change. We'll need a new tandem, for a start.)

Does that mean you get to drive? And I can doze off, listen to disco, and make rude comments about other riders and motorists be your POWAH?

red marley

« Reply #4743 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:57:31 am »
It's the February plateau innit? No more Christmas pud to exorcise; weather not good enough for extended outdoor activity. If I can leave this month with the same weight as I entered it, that would be a success.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4744 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:09:21 am »
I've been on a bike this week, though I have also been eating a bit more (read: some food) and not throwing up so much.

The weight is going in the right direction, though.  I feared I might plateau inexplicably at 103kg, as I did last time.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4745 on: 05 February, 2014, 11:52:05 am »
116kg today. Waist measurement down a little. Still maintaining my motivation. It would be nice to be able to get out for a decent ride though. Getting rid of this lousy sore throat would help.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4746 on: 05 February, 2014, 12:29:39 pm »
Back to 19st for the first time this year :)

I'm also starting to feel less hungry in general (or getting more used to being hungry) so it feels a bit easier than it did a couple weeks ago.

Still a very long way to go though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4747 on: 05 February, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »
I got a leather belt. On the inside, I wrote "32" at the hole that was 32 inches from the buckle. Likewise "33" at the hole 33 inches and "31" at the hole 31 inches from the buckle.

When I start needing the 32 hole, I cut down on food, and try to get some 100 km rides after work.

« Reply #4748 on: 05 February, 2014, 01:04:09 pm »
A good read is that of Dave Willoughby.
If your search engine has problems, here is the link.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/is-your-waist-properly-proportioned.html

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4749 on: 05 February, 2014, 01:21:58 pm »

As helly said upthread, waistlines can fluctuate significantly. I'd wait until I had several more data points before worrying it was a trend.

Quite.
A big meal, a lot of gas or three days without a dump can add 4cm to my waistline...