Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300855 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5225 on: 01 January, 2015, 09:26:01 am »
I've managed to put on 1.5kg over Christmas. Not quite as bad as feared, given the amount of chocolate I've eaten, but the wrong side of 60kg. :-\

« Reply #5226 on: 01 January, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
I haven't put on any weight over Christmas, once again proving I can eat whatever the fuck I like...  and maintain my weight at just under 90kg. Or work really really hard at it and get down to 80. Big fucking wow.
I'm not sure I've got the energy. Does it really matter? Am I fitter, faster, stronger,  healthier with a BMI of 31 than one of 34? I'm not fit fast or strong now, but I'm not sure losing 10kg is what will change that. And it's not like I can ever maintain it, something always happens to fuck me over anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5227 on: 01 January, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
I've managed to put on 1.5kg over Christmas. Not quite as bad as feared, given the amount of chocolate I've eaten, but the wrong side of 60kg. :-\

I don't think I've been on the 'right' side of 60kg since I was 18 and my new scales aren't helping; I touched it late last year.
I WILL get there!

So will you!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5228 on: 01 January, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »

Sadly, at the moment 1 * Wowbagger > 2 * Phantasmagoriana.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #5229 on: 02 January, 2015, 01:41:45 am »
Graphs are fixed.

« Reply #5230 on: 02 January, 2015, 07:38:49 am »
Can one of you clever buggers come up with a cell by cell example of what I'd need to put into a spreadsheet to convert kilos to stones, pounds and ounces please?   

I have a very big, or should that be small challenge this year.  :-\

« Reply #5231 on: 02 January, 2015, 08:36:33 am »
This will convert the number in Cell A1 from Kg to Stones pounds, shillings & ounces, whatever your bounces

Code: [Select]
=TEXT(INT((A1*2.20462)/14),0)&" Stones "&TEXT(INT(MOD(A1*2.20462,14)),0)&" Lbs "&TEXT((MOD(A1*2.20462,14)-INT(MOD(A1*2.20462,14)))*16,0)&" Ounces"

« Reply #5232 on: 02 January, 2015, 08:37:11 am »
Fabulous.   Thanks very much indeed.  :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5233 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:28:36 pm »
December's loss of focus has raised my podge index from under 79 to  80.6kg today. I hope to be under 80 at the end of next week once I return to my regular eat work sleep pattern.

« Reply #5234 on: 02 January, 2015, 07:08:07 pm »
I have set myself (and reported this in the 'weight reports' thread) a short term, small weight loss target. I'm going to see if aiming for something achievable but requiring focus works any better than a nebulous 'by the end of the year' goal.

85.2 kg by 31.01.2015

This would bring me back to my lowest weight last year (and once I break that figure) to a weight lower than at any time since 2010.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5235 on: 02 January, 2015, 09:52:15 pm »
Losing the first 2kg is easy.
Much of this loss is not fat.
Weight after a second month might be more indicative of genuine fat loss.
Good Luck anyway!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5236 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:47:22 pm »
Since dieting is basically a failed way to lose weight over the long term I'd be interested in seeing if our numbers back that up.

This thread has been running since 2008.

Would any of you, who have been trying to lose weight in this period, care to post:

1) Start Weight
2) Year
3) Current Weight.

I happen to know that was 13st 4lb in 1997. I know that because it was the point I started a diet with some friends and we all noted down our weights.

In 17 years of careful weight management I have managed to add 8 pounds (Jan 1st 2015).

I may have once managed to drop below 13-4 and that would have been at the finish line of PBP2011 (because I was 13-6 going into it).

I have risen to 15-3 twice in that period (Jan 3rd 2014 being the last time).

The one positive to be drawn from this is that this is the lightest I've been on Jan 1st for a long time and is part of my "must get below 13 stone for PBP2015" plan.

Good luck with your own plans everyone, I know how tough (impossible?) it can be. 

Just be reminded that your brain is doing every single thing it can to stop you from losing weight.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5237 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:03:58 pm »
I was 74 kg in January 2012.
I am 12kg less now.

Dieting has not failed for me.

I cannot exercise.
Look at my graph.

simonp

« Reply #5238 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:04:48 am »
Lee, if you gained 8lbs over 17 years that's an average of a 5 calorie per day surplus, if it's all fat.

The question should be were would you be without any dieting?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5239 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:37:15 am »
Since dieting is basically a failed way to lose weight over the long term I'd be interested in seeing if our numbers back that up.

This thread has been running since 2008.

Would any of you, who have been trying to lose weight in this period, care to post:

1) Start Weight
2) Year
3) Current Weight.

Start weight 74kg 2012
Current weight 62kg

I happen to know that was 13st 4lb in 1997. I know that because it was the point I started a diet with some friends and we all noted down our weights.

In 17 years of careful weight management I have managed to add 8 pounds (Jan 1st 2015).

I may have once managed to drop below 13-4 and that would have been at the finish line of PBP2011 (because I was 13-6 going into it).

I have risen to 15-3 twice in that period (Jan 3rd 2014 being the last time).

The one positive to be drawn from this is that this is the lightest I've been on Jan 1st for a long time and is part of my "must get below 13 stone for PBP2015" plan.

Good luck with your own plans everyone, I know how tough (impossible?) it can be. 

Just be reminded that your brain is doing every single thing it can to stop you from losing weight.

I was 10st 10lb when I bought my old scales in 1982 and bobbed around 11stone most of my adult life.
I got below 10 stone last year and have stayed there.

I slowly gained weight after a trip to France in 2009, when I got into the habit of eating croissants and mirabelle jam for breakfast. My weight crept up about 1kg/year having been steady and my proudly staying out of weight loss discussion.

Sustained weight loss is not impossible.
It takes determination and modification of eating habits.
Habits are what really matter.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5240 on: 04 January, 2015, 03:59:36 pm »
Lee, if you gained 8lbs over 17 years that's an average of a 5 calorie per day surplus, if it's all fat.

The question should be were would you be without any dieting?

All my dieting attempts have resulted in a (predictable) Yo-Yo between 13-4 and 15-3.  I'm a food addict, guilty as charged m'lud. All my real weight loss success can be attributed to high mileage rides counteracting my addiction to the savouries.

I have a guaranteed weight loss of 1 pound per 100km Audax ride that usually kicks in the following thursday.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5241 on: 04 January, 2015, 05:26:38 pm »
Max weight 92.5kg+ in July 2010 (it's plus because it was a couple of months of dieting before I dared weigh myself)
Dropped to 73.3kg by mid 2012
slowly put the weight back on to 80kg in Nov 2014
Currently 75.0kg at 31st Dec 2014

I went up again because I took my eye off the ball and thought I could eat what I wanted to again. My current plan is to get my weight back to where I'm happy (probably about 73 to 74 kg) and then weigh myself at least once a month. If I'm ever more than 4kg over target, the diet and exercise programme will have to kick in again.

Currently I've upped the amount of exercise I take by going out for 30 minute run/jog/shuffles in the morning and this seems to be working well for me. I'm dropping the pounds much faster than I ever did by diet alone. To get the equivqlent amount of exercise from my bike would take much longer each day (by the time I'd got the bike out, checked the lights, had to ride for longer for an equivalent calorie deficit). Jogging just works. I always used to HATE running, but I've discovered Couch to 5K (C25K) and I'm a convert. I'm actually getting out and enjoying it.

« Reply #5242 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:04:54 pm »
Max 110kg, min 69, (2002-2003) then I took up cycling.

I have 2 options for successfully losing weight - eat  nothing & do nothing (the helly approach) although I also lost 70kg of husband when I did that ; or do without carbohydrates and lift weights.
Doing without carbohydrates and lifting weights requires everything else in your life to go well. So I usually last about 6 weeks before injury, job loss, eviction, child drama, drug side effects - whatever, I'm not making these up - something will happen and I'll be back snarfing chocolate before you can say MyFitnessPal.
I'm currently debating whether I can face it again. I'm really not sure.
Long distance cycling does absolutely bugger all for weight loss, for me.
I was about 85kg last PBP. I'm 89 now. Lowest I've been between is 79kg.
I know if I do it I'll feel better, my clothes will fit better, I'll have better sex a better paid job and be more attractive to boys and faster up hill. (some of those may be lies).
I'm just not sure I can be arsed.

simonp

« Reply #5243 on: 04 January, 2015, 07:16:21 pm »
Over the last 6 years, my weight has ranged between 67kg (in the weeks leading up to PBP 2011) and 78kg (November 2014). Today I’m 77kg. In 1990 I weighed around 54kg and in 1997 around 70kg with 18% body fat; so most of the long-term weight gain in adulthood occurred by the time I was 25. Some of that probably because I was short for my age at 18.

Currently injured. I was hoping to be able to do chest at the gym tomorrow, but I doubt I can lift the weights onto the bar until my back’s improved. To take my mind off the pain discomfort, I picked up the guitar. Now my fingers hurt too.

« Reply #5244 on: 04 January, 2015, 07:23:38 pm »
Usual weight, since I was about 30: 84-86 kg.

Max: 96-ish kg, a one-time peak achieved a few years ago (when I last fully participated in the yacf weight loss shenanigans) after a period of excessive eating of crap, Chinese take-aways and the like. I’ve never been as heavy before or since and I was only that weight for a matter of weeks.

Current: 84.5 kg.

I keep a close eye on it.

Chris S

« Reply #5245 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:17:34 am »
Right. Usual weapons engaged - Dry January, minimal carbs, 5x5 Stronglifts, getting back on the bike.

#fatbegoneyabugger

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5246 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »

1) Start Weight
2) Year
3) Current Weight.

My weight at the start of 2010 was just shy of 90kg, on an upward trend and affecting my health. That was when I realised I needed to do something about it and started to make a concerted effort to get back into shape. My method was to greatly increase my exercise levels and not control what I ate but control how much I ate using rudimentary calorie counting. I know this doesn't work for everyone but I'm fortunate that it seems to work for me, and by the end of 2010 I was down to 78kg.

2011 wasn't as successful and my weight fluctuated up and down, but I did achieve a net loss of 4kg over the course of the year, taking me to 74kg.

2012 was another good year - I actually went below the 66kg mark at one point - but by the end of the year it had crept back up a little to 69kg.

My weight stayed fairly stable throughout 2013 at around 67-68kg.

2014 was a bad year. Stress and tiredness caused by a turbulent time at work caused me to lapse into some bad habits, namely eating and drinking too much. At the start of 2015, I'm a bit over 73kg.

I wouldn't call that a failure. What I think my experience shows is that it's very hard to maintain focus on the weight control objective when you have other shit going on in your life. Nothing wrong with the method, just my ability to stick to it - and that's due to factors out of my control. I'm confident that 2015 won't be as hard going as 2014 and that I will be able to put a halt to the current upward trend.

What my experience also shows is that exercise needs to be consistent and focused if it is to be a successful part of weight control. 2014 was a pretty good year for me in terms of landmark achievements: two marathons and a good number of audax miles, but my exercise levels were very inconsistent. I'd got into the habit of running regularly 3-4 times a week throughout 2013, but getting made redundant in spring 2014 put an end to that. I didn't do any proper training for the marathons and although I managed to struggle round them, I doubt they had any beneficial effect on my long-term health (possibly the opposite, in fact). I did a lot of cycling over the summer but that tailed off and I've only been riding intermittently for the last few months.

I have also come to the realisation that it may be impossible for me to ever reach my long-term goal of 64kg. When my weight was below 67kg, I found it very difficult to maintain it - besides which my wife thought I was starting to look underweight. I have come to the conclusion that 68kg is a "healthy" weight for me (whereas 64kg would be an "athletic" weight) and I will be happy if I can return to that level and sustain it. I also believe this is a realistic and achievable goal - cutting down the booze and getting back into my running habit will be the first steps towards it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5247 on: 05 January, 2015, 07:18:42 pm »
Max 110kg, min 69, (2002-2003) then I took up cycling.

I have 2 options for successfully losing weight - eat  nothing & do nothing (the helly approach) although I also lost 70kg of husband when I did that ; or do without carbohydrates and lift weights.
Doing without carbohydrates and lifting weights requires everything else in your life to go well. So I usually last about 6 weeks before injury, job loss, eviction, child drama, drug side effects - whatever, I'm not making these up - something will happen and I'll be back snarfing chocolate before you can say MyFitnessPal.
I'm currently debating whether I can face it again. I'm really not sure.
Long distance cycling does absolutely bugger all for weight loss, for me.
I was about 85kg last PBP. I'm 89 now. Lowest I've been between is 79kg.
I know if I do it I'll feel better, my clothes will fit better, I'll have better sex a better paid job and be more attractive to boys and faster up hill. (some of those may be lies).
I'm just not sure I can be arsed.
I have concluded I am going with your last sentence and I stopped counting etc two years ago.

I am heavier now than I have been in years when I have calorie counted but I feel more relaxed about things.

I could do with losing 30kg but I am becoming of the opinion that life's too short, genes and family history are against me, and that there are other things to worry about instead. As long as I am riding the bike a fair bit and my cardio-vascular system is reasonable - I am not being a couch potato - I am probably better off than a mildly overweight but sofa-bound woman of my age.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5248 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:56:10 pm »
I am not eating nothing!
There are times when I'm not eating much, but two, sensibly sized, well-balanced meals per day and little between meals seems to work.

I am currently enjoying a 3 day hotel break and have been eating rather more than I would at home.

I'll be back tomorrow and eat less.

My next weigh-in will be instructive!

« Reply #5249 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:30:00 am »
First weigh in and 1kg down.  It does help that all the cake, chocolate and biscuits brought into work have vanished now.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.