Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300388 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5300 on: 14 January, 2015, 01:48:12 pm »
I am not bothered by a truly trivial increase.
It's probably all just been flushed into the sewers, anyway. ;D

I will get down to 9 stone.
One day.

simonp

« Reply #5301 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:04:50 pm »
I didn’t cut and paste last week’s weight into this week’s entry, honest!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5302 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:12:25 pm »
Now we have these new, precise digital scales, we can see day-to-day variations to the nearest 0.1kg.
There are times when things seem very consistent.

Other times, there can be BIG fluctuations.

simonp

« Reply #5303 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:17:52 pm »
There was plenty variation earlier in the week after my weekend 200k.

« Reply #5304 on: 14 January, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
Now we have these new, precise digital scales, we can see day-to-day variations to the nearest 0.1kg.
There are times when things seem very consistent.

Other times, there can be BIG fluctuations.

Yes, the ability to measure small variations in hydration and stored food residue is quite interesting.

« Reply #5305 on: 14 January, 2015, 04:09:37 pm »
Against all advice, I weigh most days (scales record to .1kg), but just to look for a trend. I always weigh at the same time (early morning, after run, shave and shower, but before food). I only record once a week, however. I'm normally heaviest on a Monday or Tuesday and my weight reduces to it's lowest point by Friday or Saturday. My weight the following Wednesday will normally be similar to the previous Saturday morning. It can vary .3 to .4kg between days, but it's the trend I'm looking for. That is usually consistent - up, down or level. Interestingly, I can also reduce my weight by 100-200 grammes by stepping on first with my left foot, rather than my right. If I suddenly see a massive weight loss one day, I can usually put it down to my other half adjusting the zero set point so that the scales tell her what she thinks she ought to weigh...

simonp

« Reply #5306 on: 14 January, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with daily weighing. If there is truly random noise in a signal, then sampling that signal less frequently will make it harder to filter out the noise.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5307 on: 14 January, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
I weigh in Stone/Pounds and in integers.  To me 13 Stone 12 1/2 pounds is 13-12.  I think a pound/500g is granular enough. 

It means that some weeks I don't log a change and some weeks I may lose 2 pounds, even though the loss may have been very similar.

It's a big mug of tea.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5308 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »
The thing that amazes me is that you have to do this by dieting alone. Without the chance to get some exercise, my weight would balloon.
You'd be surprised.
Actually, your appetite is often more manageable if you don't exercise. The extra appetite generated by exercise is greater, in this obesogenic world, than the calories it uses. That's definitely true for me- aerobic exercise=starving cake lust

I've lost 2kg this week.

Most of it was snot, though.

simonp

« Reply #5309 on: 14 January, 2015, 06:02:19 pm »
Generally I’d agree that you tend to eat more if you exercise more.

When I stop exercising, I balloon somewhat, because it takes too long for the eating more to stop.

I am feeling hungry right now. Off to the gym then.

« Reply #5310 on: 14 January, 2015, 06:32:41 pm »
Against all advice, I weigh most days <snip>
Not necessarily, although the researchers do acknowledge some limitations in their work, mostly down to a small sample size.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/11/how-often-should-i-weigh-myself
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5311 on: 14 January, 2015, 06:43:51 pm »
Work makes me overweight - a simple combination of late nights, no (reasonable time for) exercise and the consequent comfort eating soon piles on the pounds kgs

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5312 on: 14 January, 2015, 07:30:00 pm »
Did it!!! Today I hit my interim target of 74.0kg, which is the weight I was when I got married, some 35 years ago... I'd like to lose another kg before the summer, but I'm happy at the weight I am for the winter.

Well done

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5313 on: 14 January, 2015, 09:17:07 pm »

I've lost 2kg this week.

Most of it was snot, though.

Well done!
Get Unsnotty Soon!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5314 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
The fluctuations continue:
13/01          63.2kg
14/01          62.8kg
15/01          62.2kg
16/01          61.5kg
17/01          61.8kg
18/01          61.3kg
19/01          61.7kg
20/01          61.7kg
21/01          61.7kg

All water and poo...

simonp

« Reply #5315 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:38:57 am »
I'm down 0.5kg today vs yesterday. All sweat, I think.

« Reply #5316 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:43:15 pm »
I am down from where I started but I have been laid up in bed with  some virus. The only things that I have wanted to eat for the last few days has been satsumas.  They're not known for their lard laying propensity.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #5317 on: 16 January, 2015, 10:13:29 am »
One thing I have found to be really helpful in losing weight recently is the My Fitness Pal website/mobile app.

Basically you put in all your details, activity level, set a goal, say how much you would like to lose and it sets a daily calorie target for you (you can change this to whatever you want too).

You then log everything that you eat and all the exercise that you do to keep track of calorie intake and expenditure. 

It has a very good database of foods and meals including a barcode scanner for easy input.  It also links in with strava (amongst others) so any activities you upload to strava are automatically imported to My Fitness Pal.

I've found it very useful in gaining an awareness of exactly how many calories I'm consuming. It has made me take a lot more notice of the calorific values of food and portion size.

Might be helpful to the rest of you.
Up the hills and round the bends

simonp

« Reply #5318 on: 16 January, 2015, 11:11:06 am »
Many of us are already using MyFitnessPal or other tracking apps. You can also link MyFitnessPal to Strava or iCardo (and others - I assume) which means that your activities logged in these are automatically synced across.

One thing to bear in mind is that MFP's default carb:fat:protein ratio may not be right for your own activity level, e.g. if you are trying to build muscle the protein level is too low. However this is customizable but it stays a ratio. So for instance I've set up mine to a, iirc I get calories in a 30:30:40 protein:fat:carb ratio - so giving a protein intake of around 150g. However on a day where I've done a 200km Audax I would not need to increase my protein intake above 150g, but I need more carbs. MFP sticks to that 30:30:40 ratio that I set, which doesn't match what I do.

Another issue some have is they find the energy estimates for activities are too high so they over-consume if they eat the amount of food this suggests you can eat. I've found the estimates from Strava and iCardio (which are based on heart rate and gps data rather than assumed values) a little lower.

« Reply #5319 on: 16 January, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »
I've used MyFitnessPal a lot and am a fan. It also links to Endomondo and fitbits. As SimonP says, take the calories consumed when exercising with a very large pinch of salt (no - not literally...).

However, the best thing about using it is that I see how many calories that mince pie or that piece of Toblerone is going to add, before I eat it. More  often than not, it makes me think twice and I put it down before consuming. At least I know what that extra treat is costing me. This assumes, of course, that you log before you eat.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5320 on: 16 January, 2015, 03:18:44 pm »
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with daily weighing. If there is truly random noise in a signal, then sampling that signal less frequently will make it harder to filter out the noise.

I used to weigh daily, entering the figures into an Excel spreadsheet and plotting them in a graph. But instead of using the daily measurements for the graph, I plotted a rolling ten-day average. It irons out the noise very well.

Then I realised that the ten-day average graph looked remarkably similar to the once-a-week graph.

Either way, I've fallen out of the habit of regular weighing in the last year or so.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5321 on: 16 January, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »
Weekly weighing seems noisy to me, personally.
A 10 day rolling average sounds very reasonable if I could be bothered with the faff.
Which is unlikely.

As the world fell out of my bottom this morning, I would not be surprised if tomorrow's weight shows another loss, totalling 2kg for the week or month or year - choose whichever you would like to believe.

I am losing fat slowly and hip measurements are less noisy but rather coarse.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5322 on: 16 January, 2015, 05:06:57 pm »

As the world fell out of my bottom this morning, I would not be surprised if tomorrow's weight shows another loss,

Thanks for sharing that.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5323 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
Weight seems nearly 2kg down in 5 days.
My waist and hips are a bit smaller.

I might have lost a kilogram of fat this year.
Or less.

I would not be surprised if my weight rose a bit, even if the fat was shrinking slowly.
These things are perverse and can be demoralising.

It is long-term fat loss that really matters.
It is happening...

« Reply #5324 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:44:23 am »
Another week another loss.  So that's good considering I have had a rotten virus so have done no cycling or exercise of any sort.  The next few weeks will be the test as losses tend to slow down after the initial shock to the system of new healthy eating.  I would rather it was slow and steady and I make it more as a way of life than a diet, I have always gone back to old eating patterns after diets and then put it all back on again.  There may be a lesson there.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.