Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300874 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5375 on: 13 February, 2015, 12:17:45 am »
Is it wrong not to weight yourself on what you know will be the fattest week of the month?   :-X :facepalm:

Is it your fattest or your heaviest?

Either way, variations are probably 'noise' in the grand scheme of things.
If a bowl of salty soup gains me a kilo in weight and I know I am no fatter than the previous week, then the weight at the end of the month/year whatever will be no greater.

The important thing is not to get dispirited by a non-fat gain, think 'Stuff this' and binge eat, converting a trivial water gain into a significant fat gain.

I did not weigh myself much in 2012 and only filled out the weight reports for that year in retrospect quite recently.
It was the year I lost most of my excess weight.

I dunno whether I am fatter or heavier, or both, but for around 5 days each month I am a full 2kg heavier than normal!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5376 on: 13 February, 2015, 12:32:02 am »
Is it wrong not to weight yourself on what you know will be the fattest week of the month?   :-X :facepalm:

Is it your fattest or your heaviest?

Either way, variations are probably 'noise' in the grand scheme of things.
If a bowl of salty soup gains me a kilo in weight and I know I am no fatter than the previous week, then the weight at the end of the month/year whatever will be no greater.

The important thing is not to get dispirited by a non-fat gain, think 'Stuff this' and binge eat, converting a trivial water gain into a significant fat gain.

I did not weigh myself much in 2012 and only filled out the weight reports for that year in retrospect quite recently.
It was the year I lost most of my excess weight.

I dunno whether I am fatter or heavier, or both, but for around 5 days each month I am a full 2kg heavier than normal!

You DO know! It's NOT fat!
2kg fatty tissue is around 15,000kcal. That's a week's worth of food or starvation. If you are eating normally, you can't build up an excess or deficit that fast.

It's mainly water.
Don't weigh yourself if a gain would upset you.
Keep on eating sensibly.
Weigh your self next week, possibly several times to track variation.

and breathe...

simonp

« Reply #5377 on: 13 February, 2015, 12:54:31 am »
I'm 2kg heavier than I was this morning.

« Reply #5378 on: 13 February, 2015, 04:39:20 pm »
Up 1.5kg on last week, and in a week that I did my first 200 of the year.  I've noticed that pattern before, that I'll be heavier in the week or two after a big ride. I can provide no sensible explanation for this.

Seems to settle down again after a couple of weeks so I don't concern myself with it.

If anyone could suggest why this might be, I would welcome any explanations!
Up the hills and round the bends

simonp

« Reply #5379 on: 13 February, 2015, 04:40:50 pm »
Fluid retention in injured/repairing muscles.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5380 on: 13 February, 2015, 05:43:01 pm »
Standard pathophysiological response to 'trauma'.
Well-known phenomenon in post-op surgical patients.

« Reply #5381 on: 14 February, 2015, 10:08:51 am »
Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense.

I would imagine that the more frequently I ride 200s the less I would notice this effect.

« Reply #5382 on: 14 February, 2015, 10:12:05 am »
Judging by what I have just had to climb down off of, I reckon I've just lost about 3kg

« Reply #5383 on: 18 February, 2015, 06:22:20 am »
down 2 kg this week but it is transit problems that now seem to have cleared.   :hand:
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5384 on: 18 February, 2015, 11:45:14 am »
Probably losing fat slowly.
Lighter than last week.

« Reply #5385 on: 18 February, 2015, 12:01:28 pm »
Well, as predicted I lost all of the 'trauma-induced' gain of last week and then some.  Now under my target weight so need to avoid losing any more and practice maintaining a steady weight.

I've found that in the past if I eat to the 2100 or so recommended net calories I will put on weight, there's a sweet spot for me under that which I'm trying to work out exactly where. I think it might be at about 1900.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5386 on: 18 February, 2015, 02:53:37 pm »
I was on course for a new low for the year.  But I went out last night. 

Oh well, I have no mis-behaving planned until Wednesday evening next week. I timed that one much better. :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5387 on: 18 February, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
2000kcal is not very much for a tall man who moves at all.

Adult male recommendation was 2,500kcal until recently, when it got downsized because men were upsizing...

jhob might need more CAEK and PIES, within reason.

simonp

« Reply #5388 on: 18 February, 2015, 03:24:26 pm »
People are less active generally so the calories required to get by have reduced.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5389 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:16:49 pm »
People are less active generally so the calories required to get by have reduced.

Indeed but jhob is both taller and more active than Mr Average and might need more calories.

2,000kcal per day might *just* be enough.
Or not.

« Reply #5390 on: 18 February, 2015, 07:43:45 pm »
Well here's the thing, most of my life is actually pretty sedentary. I spend my day and often evenings sat behind a computer and most weeks the only exercise I get is  a couple of hours on the bike once or maybe twice and 90minutes of yoga. I'm self employed and work from home so dont even have a commute anywhere.

When I do exercise now I try and replace the calories that I have burnt, its net, not total calories that I'm aiming for

If I consumed 2500 calories a day I guarantee I would slap on weight! I think I must have a slow metabolism as if I'm not careful I put on weight really easily, I've just learnt to be pretty disciplined with myself. Not so long ago I was 3 stone heavier than I am now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5391 on: 18 February, 2015, 08:12:46 pm »
14 stone is not huge for a man who is 6'3".
Your day certainly sounds sedentary and you've done well to slim down as much as you have.
Any lighter(than your current 11 stone) would probably not be healthy.

« Reply #5392 on: 18 February, 2015, 11:50:08 pm »
Well, 6ft2! When I was 14st I wasn't happy - all of my weight goes on my chest and belly so it was moob and beer belly city. I just didn't feel comfortable in my own skin, hence why I wanted to lose some weight and get fitter. That was all pre-audaxing.

I'd say I've been happy with my body shape since being around the 12st mark and am quite happy where I am now at 11st. But you are absolutely right - I do not want to lose any more weight. My goal is go remain steady at where I'm at.

« Reply #5393 on: 19 February, 2015, 06:47:50 am »
Gain of last week gone.  So I can now settle into the Wednesday evening weigh in at Slimming World.  Didn't think I would stck this long bit I quite like the banter and it focuses me.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

essexian

« Reply #5394 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:37:46 am »
Well back on a weight loss scheme again….must be the 482th time I have tried to lose weight! This one must work as at 125.5kg, I am almost twice my ideal weight. Also, with a BMI of 45.5, hypertension and type two diabetes, I don’t see my body lasting much longer without even more major issues than these….especially as heart and stroke problems run in my family.

So, I have set myself a target of losing 10kg in 10 weeks: tough but achievable. Why such a target? Well I would like to do the following:  https://www.khhospice.org.uk/event/specialized-cycling-challenge-2015
For my local hospice. I haven’t done a 60 mile plus ride for over 30 years, so that’s my target. After that… perhaps 10kg in the following 20 weeks, so with a bit of luck, I will be around 100kg by the end of the year.

What if I fail to achieve my first target? Well, given that I cannot go on at this weight much longer, I will consider having a gastric band fitted. I have looked into these and DO NOT want one! They sound terrible but do seem to work. Unlike some people, I don’t see them as an easy option; in fact quite the opposite given the operation and general restriction on your life thereafter.

Right….back to the salad!  :-\

simonp

« Reply #5395 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:55:00 am »
Must remember to update the graphs tonight. And add my weights for this week and last.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5396 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:35:44 am »
We do appreciate your work, simonp!
Thanks for maintaining the graphs!

« Reply #5397 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:45:40 am »
Well, 6ft2! When I was 14st I wasn't happy - all of my weight goes on my chest and belly so it was moob and beer belly city. I just didn't feel comfortable in my own skin, hence why I wanted to lose some weight and get fitter. That was all pre-audaxing.

I'd say I've been happy with my body shape since being around the 12st mark and am quite happy where I am now at 11st. But you are absolutely right - I do not want to lose any more weight. My goal is go remain steady at where I'm at.

14 stone is not huge for a man who is 6'3".
Your day certainly sounds sedentary and you've done well to slim down as much as you have.
Any lighter(than your current 11 stone) would probably not be healthy.

John, you're in danger of being an inspiration - or at least justification for thinness to Mrs S. I'm 6ft 1in, which due to age I round down to 185cm rather than up to 186. When I left Uni I weighed about 10st 10lbs and when I was running quickish 800s and 5000s in my mid 20s I was 11st 3lbs - that allowed for a lot fast running and a couple of sessions in the gym each week. It also sets my expectations now, so I find being close to 14st is far too much and hence 12st becomes a sensible first target (I really hated it when I reached 15st 7lbs after injury and inactivity).

What is quite alarming is that the sort of weight targets we have are now viewed as so low, as the general population has grown. I'm having increasing sympathy with Chris S and fboab and their diet, plus the background to the diet, when you see the impact of the very sweet and carb loaded snack foods that proliferate in our shops. My youngest has a real problem with seeking out sugar (perhaps because we hide it;)) and it is clear that it has addictive properties in terms of impact on eating habits.

Mike

« Reply #5398 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:02:23 pm »
Well back on a weight loss scheme again….must be the 482th time I have tried to lose weight! This one must work as at 125.5kg, I am almost twice my ideal weight. Also, with a BMI of 45.5, hypertension and type two diabetes, I don’t see my body lasting much longer without even more major issues than these….especially as heart and stroke problems run in my family.

So, I have set myself a target of losing 10kg in 10 weeks: tough but achievable. Why such a target? Well I would like to do the following:  https://www.khhospice.org.uk/event/specialized-cycling-challenge-2015
For my local hospice. I haven’t done a 60 mile plus ride for over 30 years, so that’s my target. After that… perhaps 10kg in the following 20 weeks, so with a bit of luck, I will be around 100kg by the end of the year.

What if I fail to achieve my first target? Well, given that I cannot go on at this weight much longer, I will consider having a gastric band fitted. I have looked into these and DO NOT want one! They sound terrible but do seem to work. Unlike some people, I don’t see them as an easy option; in fact quite the opposite given the operation and general restriction on your life thereafter.

Right….back to the salad!  :-\

Don't know if you are aware of this, but it may be worth a shot http://www.paulmckenna.com/hypnotic-gastric-band

All the best, anyhow

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5399 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:42:50 pm »
I am using a fitness app to record what I eat. I realise it maybe inaccurate but its useful as a broad indication.

I am really struggling to keep out pastries, chocolates and croissants.

Its amazing how good they taste and how calorie laden they are. Incidentally my weight goes up and down +/- 3 kg in a day - is that usual?