Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300384 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5450 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:49:48 am »
88.0kgs this morning, so plus 1kg overnight. Either water or retained food, or both I think.

« Reply #5451 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:59:20 am »
Not much exercise and net average of 2100 calories/day over the last couple of weeks = 1.5kg gain
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #5452 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:46:24 am »
71.7kg recorded for me this morning but this is probably reading a little lower than my realistic weight. I suspect that I'm probably about 72.2 or so. I've had 3 hardish (for me, anyway) runs this week. On Monday I did a 16K which ended up having 250m of climbing on it. Yesterday I did a flat, fast 10K to get my Jantastic timed run in and knocked 4 minutes off my PB. Today I went out for a 12K recovery run, but it still ended up with over 200m of climbing on it. I reckon all this will have brought my weight temporarily down by at least half a kg. I'm going to ease back on the running for the rest of the week. I'd like to get up to 64K (40miles) in a week which would be a first for me and I'm semi-committed for parkrun on Saturday so i think I'll just slot in a couple of slow flat runs of 10 to 12K jogs to get the distance up. I've already managed over 500m of climbing this week (even my flat runs have at least 50m in - it's a given when you live at the top of a hill).

Overall, I'm happy at the weight I'm at. I'm aiming to keep below 73kg now this year, except for holiday and Christmas binges. I just need to keep monitoring to ensure that things don't slide as happened to me before.

« Reply #5453 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »
190 is very high for intervals. Are you doing HIIT? In last night's spinning class I only got to 184 and that was tough going.
I can get to 200. It's just a number.
If you're burying yourself once or twice a week it doesn't matter what the number is, it's how it compare to your 'usual' that counts. There's little point in doing HIIT if you're not going for it as hard as possible.
Long rides are about 135-145 and walking is at 110-120 for me.

« Reply #5454 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:18:39 pm »
190 is very high for intervals. Are you doing HIIT? In last night's spinning class I only got to 184 and that was tough going.
I can get to 200. It's just a number.
If you're burying yourself once or twice a week it doesn't matter what the number is, it's how it compare to your 'usual' that counts. There's little point in doing HIIT if you're not going for it as hard as possible.
Long rides are about 135-145 and walking is at 110-120 for me.

Interval training doesn't always have to be as 'hard as possible.' the point is to specifically load to achieve particular training impacts. Running sessions of 6x 1 mile should be run at a lower terminal HR than a session of 12x 400, and that a lower HR than a 4x 200 session. They all prepare you in different ways and I am comfortable calling them all high intensity. Is HIIT used to mean a single type of less specific session?

Wish I still had a max HR of 200, I don't recall ever hitting those heights. C. 177 on the bike and 181 running these days.

« Reply #5455 on: 12 March, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »
Age has an impact on HR though for sure- I used to be able to hit 204 going up Cheddar gorge 4 years ago but now am struggling to get over 186 whatever I do (rowing seems to push me the highest). I guess I was very unfit then, but am now mid forties so my max has also reduced.

I only really started trying to drop weight this week, and have managed to lose 0.8kg so am happy with that. I did eat some creme eggs when I had the munchies post-audax too.
I'm about to drop the chocolate and start eating frozen berries in low fat yoghurt for my midnight feasts instead. I know what I really should do is start eating breakfast, but I really can't be bothered to eat before midday most days. I didn't bother with breakfast before the 200 and it didn't seem to cause me a problem.

simonp

« Reply #5456 on: 12 March, 2015, 01:48:46 pm »
HIIT is short (typically around a minute, often shorter) intervals at max effort.

« Reply #5457 on: 12 March, 2015, 02:37:24 pm »
I know what I really should do is start eating breakfast, but I really can't be bothered to eat before midday most days. I didn't bother with breakfast before the 200 and it didn't seem to cause me a problem.
There's as much evidence that eating breakfast is 'good' as there is that it's 'bad'.

IMHO eating when you're not hungry seems a stupid way to be- hunger is a mechanism for you body telling you need more food. It works pretty well- until you ignore it.
But what do I know, I'm a fat fecker.

« Reply #5458 on: 13 March, 2015, 09:41:42 am »
Gone off track. My Mum died last Wedsday and I spent 3 days eating vending machine crap in the hospital and can't be bothered to cook half the time.Iv'e got a 200k Audax in 3 weeks and that's helping to distract me though. Maybe I will feel better after the funeral.

« Reply #5459 on: 13 March, 2015, 11:13:27 am »
Sorry to hear about your Mum, nightrider. There are times when there are more important things to worry about than if you are eating sensibly. Take a break before you start thinking about your eating habits again. It will put you back a little, but as long as you get back into controlling your diet again in a month or so, it shouldn't affect things long term.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5460 on: 13 March, 2015, 12:06:17 pm »
Wot slowcoach said. Condolences, nightrider.

I suggest putting the scales away till Easter.

Weight loss is an issue you are best to ignore for now.

« Reply #5461 on: 13 March, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »
Thanks I will put something in another thread later :'(

« Reply #5462 on: 13 March, 2015, 01:42:21 pm »
My condolences.  As others have said, now is not the time to worry about weight, you've more important places to put your attention right now.

« Reply #5463 on: 18 March, 2015, 10:23:52 am »
New year low. Now to keep it there.

« Reply #5464 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:19:38 am »
95 kg but in old money just under 15 stone. 14 anything is my new goal as weightwatching has slipped down the agenda recently. Back on the proverbial treadmill, but hopefully with lighter meals and more daylight for taking outdoor exercise.

Condolences ,nightrider. You will get through this , just keep the good times in mind.
 A former colleague was firmly of the opinion that fate took care of everything.

« Reply #5465 on: 18 March, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »
Slightly increased activity level & fewer calories consumed over last week = 1.3kg down.

« Reply #5466 on: 18 March, 2015, 01:50:08 pm »
Slightly increased activity levels have resulted in major "pigout" sessions. 1.1 kg up, but I'm still within my limits (for some reason last week was way low, and I think this week is slightly on the high side). Not worried.

« Reply #5467 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:25:58 pm »
1.7kg down. Increased activity and less carbs seems to have worked.  There's still a long way to go.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

simonp

« Reply #5468 on: 18 March, 2015, 09:42:35 pm »
4 consecutive weeks of lower weight.

« Reply #5469 on: 25 March, 2015, 07:50:08 am »
Up slightly this week.   I have eaten more, exercised less.  The results speak for themselves.   :-[ 
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #5470 on: 25 March, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »
Stayed the same this week but the general direction is good. This has to be for the long haul.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Nick H.

« Reply #5471 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:29:00 pm »
I'm trying to lose 3st in 3 weeks without exercising. Am fasting and taking fibre supplements to reduce  appetite. Started 4 days ago, have lost 8 lbs.

Chris S

« Reply #5472 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:40:04 pm »
I'm trying to lose 3st in 3 weeks without exercising.

Erm... good luck with that.  :o

simonp

« Reply #5473 on: 31 March, 2015, 11:32:38 am »
77.7kg this morning.

Water retention after The Dean? Too much curry last night? Who knows. Maybe it'll be gone by tomorrow.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5474 on: 01 April, 2015, 12:07:57 am »
Back on the calorie counting after finding a new app. It seems the only way to keep things in the right direction is to take strict accounts. So far I am running a calorie deficit (net calculation is 1500 per day to give me a weight loss of 0.75kg/wk. My weight a week or so ago was just over 98kg for a height of 165cm).
It seems to be working. Down to sub 97 now though testing the cake I baked tonight won't have helped any.

Walking to work (20 mins moderately brisk paced walking = 100 calories) definitely helps. And I am relearning just how many calories are in some foods.

I try to maintain a net deficit over the week sufficient to meet the weight loss and at least one 'over budget' day to keep the body thinking there is loads of food about.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes