Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300737 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5550 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:52:36 am »
Up a lot, but that's normal post-audax.  Should have settled down by next week
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #5551 on: 22 April, 2015, 03:15:55 pm »
Returning to this thread after a long time. I'm 14 kg heavier, than my lightest point since this thread on weight loss started. If I get back to my lightest, I'm getting carbon bit of bling.

I can pin point the key areas of weight gain, down to several very enjoyable holidays.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5552 on: 22 April, 2015, 03:47:10 pm »
Unless your holidays are very long, they do not usually cause much long-term fat gain. They will cause short-term weight gain. They can change your habits though; I gained a substantial amount after picking up a daily croissant & jam habit in France.
It's mostly what you eat on the >300 days per year when you're not on holiday that counts.

Welcome back!

simonp

« Reply #5553 on: 22 April, 2015, 04:05:13 pm »
My weight has never fully recovered from Spain in 2013.

« Reply #5554 on: 22 April, 2015, 04:26:27 pm »
Mine never normally goes up too much on holiday.

I literally can't stop eating. Need to wire my jaws shut. Totally stressing me out. Can't go 20 mins without putting something in there.

« Reply #5555 on: 22 April, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »
+0.3 this week, but happy to be cycling and running again.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5556 on: 22 April, 2015, 07:07:46 pm »
+0.3 this week, but happy to be cycling and running again.

Good for you.

I think I am at 83.5 (not sure as the scales are the needle type) but I hope this lasts into next week, usually its just a blip.

EDIT - well still there today - hurray -  a record for 2 days, just hoping it lasts and drops to 82. I know wishes, horses, mice etc

Nick H.

« Reply #5557 on: 22 April, 2015, 07:38:51 pm »
After I lost a stone in 3 weeks I celebrated with microwave curries and chocolate biscuits, gained 3 lbs and got spots. I've lost 2 of the 3 lbs, hoping to say goodbye to the third one by tomorrow morning.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5558 on: 23 April, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »
I finally managed to get myself into "PBP is almost here Mode" and keep the calories down. Currently I can't see why I would ease up on the diet.

Strava really highlighted the issue because it cleverly estimates your power output (based on Speed, weight, gradient I assume).  Clearly it's not perfectly accurate BUT what it does show is that I am putting out more power on the hills, than the lightweight cyclists, and going slower up them.

Once you get to a decent level of fitness and endurance, initially more important than weight I think, then you reach a point where you are battling the Power:Weight ratio. I am battling it and losing it seems.

Anyway, I'm heading towards a good place regarding fitness and weight now.  Strava has also helped me on the fitness front as well.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5559 on: 26 April, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »
Now below 60kg again.
Will try to stabilise at 57-8kg.
I hope.

velosam

« Reply #5560 on: 26 April, 2015, 03:27:55 pm »
Now below 60kg again.
I hope.

Good for you.  Just got the maintenance to do now.

« Reply #5561 on: 26 April, 2015, 08:34:50 pm »
Now below 60kg again.
I hope.

Well done! By the sounds of it you've worked hard to get there.

velosam

« Reply #5562 on: 27 April, 2015, 02:58:05 pm »
bugger  :( after hitting 83.5 on Friday managed to get it UP to 84 on Monday.  I have no self control on weekends and should really stay away from sweet dumplings. Got to lose that 0.5 somehow

« Reply #5563 on: 27 April, 2015, 03:28:49 pm »
bugger  :( after hitting 83.5 on Friday managed to get it UP to 84 on Monday.  I have no self control on weekends and should really stay away from sweet dumplings. Got to lose that 0.5 somehow

Train yourself to weigh once a week only - Sat AM after your morning ablutions for instance. Daily fluctuations happen, well, daily. It's the trend you're looking for.

I eat cheese and biscuits on a Friday and Saturday evening, with wine, and this weekend I had potatoes with the roast (Jerseys, can't resist them totally) and yesterday had a risotto. But today and tomorrow (work days) I'll have fruit and yogurt for breakfast, a mixed coffee & mocha for lunch, and a non-carb low fat meal for tea. The rest of the week is "sensible" eating (apart from Friday and Saturday that is!). Works for me, YMMV. I'd recommend you try looking here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9 for some basic info. there's no one-size-fits-all solution of course but I found it helped focus me on what might be (and has so far proven to be) the best course to follow for me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

velosam

« Reply #5564 on: 28 April, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »

Train yourself to weigh once a week only - Sat AM after your morning ablutions for instance. Daily fluctuations happen, well, daily. It's the trend you're looking for.

I eat cheese and biscuits on a Friday and Saturday evening, with wine, and this weekend I had potatoes with the roast (Jerseys, can't resist them totally) and yesterday had a risotto. But today and tomorrow (work days) I'll have fruit and yogurt for breakfast, a mixed coffee & mocha for lunch, and a non-carb low fat meal for tea. The rest of the week is "sensible" eating (apart from Friday and Saturday that is!). Works for me, YMMV. I'd recommend you try looking here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9 for some basic info. there's no one-size-fits-all solution of course but I found it helped focus me on what might be (and has so far proven to be) the best course to follow for me.

cheers, I tried that bbc thing and I turned out to be a feaster. Once I start I cant stop.

simonp

« Reply #5565 on: 30 April, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »
Continuing to fluctuate around the 76kg level. Less fat and more muscle.

simonp

« Reply #5566 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:23:58 am »
75.1kg - lowest this year. Did I ride a 400 at the weekend?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #5567 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:13:14 am »
Simon, indeed you did.....

I was a bit heavier after the Brevet Cymru - I believe that if I have pushed myself, as I did on the BC, doing intervals on some of the hills, and pushing for random periods on the flats, just to get some harder training, my body during the recovery stage retains more water as part of the repair process...

The recovery is over now and this morning I was at 62.2 which is my median weight now...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #5568 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:16:41 am »
I was a bit heavier after the Brevet Cymru - I believe that if I have pushed myself, as I did on the BC, doing intervals on some of the hills, and pushing for random periods on the flats, just to get some harder training, my body during the recovery stage retains more water as part of the repair process...

Same thing happens to me.  I can usually expect to be +1/2kg for a week or so after 200k+ audax.

Only just this week has my weight come back down to normal 2 weeks after a 300

« Reply #5569 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:51:25 am »
Haven't seemed to loose anything according to the scales, went for the final wedding suit fitting and had dropped a waistcoat size, and the trousers wouldn't stay up. I guess the cycling, running, and fasting must be paying off in some way.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

simonp

« Reply #5570 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:57:53 am »
More muscle and less fat. One reason why obsessing too much about weight can be a distraction.

I'm still heavier than I was a year ago but I have less fat and more muscle. It's arguably healthier.

« Reply #5571 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:06:11 pm »
More muscle and less fat. One reason why obsessing too much about weight can be a distraction.

I'm still heavier than I was a year ago but I have less fat and more muscle. It's arguably healthier.

Obsessing about weight is a distraction I am very good at avoiding  O:-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5572 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:25:06 pm »
I might not weigh myself for a while.
I've had a month of being not quite well and intermittent nausea/poor appetite.
I'm feeling better now but feel I need to eat a little more to get my strength up.
My cankles did go down but are growing now and can hold much water weight.
I'll be happy if my hips stay at their current size.

velosam

« Reply #5573 on: 08 May, 2015, 09:06:28 am »
I might not weigh myself for a while.
I've had a month of being not quite well and intermittent nausea/poor appetite.
I'm feeling better now but feel I need to eat a little more to get my strength up.
My cankles did go down but are growing now and can hold much water weight.
I'll be happy if my hips stay at their current size.

+1 glad you are feeling better  :)

Hit 82kg this morning but I suspect that more to do with the fact I commuted to work yesterday and ate hardly anything - more due to time.  At least its going the right way.

« Reply #5574 on: 10 May, 2015, 08:15:22 am »
I have gone completely off plan for at least a week. Once I started I couldn't stop. Broke a bone on my wrist last weekend so no cycling either. Instead of waiting until tomorrow to get back to a more reasonable eating plan I am starting today. So the bread and butter are off the menu now, fish, fruit and plenty of veg are back on.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.