Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300599 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5575 on: 10 May, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »
We are going to a Tea Concert this afternoon.

We will eat much CAEK and many goodies.

It's tuna salad for supper tonight and Sensible Food after that.

« Reply #5576 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:33:24 am »
It's warming up, and I no longer have to wear a jumper. This exposes the fact that my work shirts are a bit snug. Excellent reminder for me not to snack/binge at work.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5577 on: 13 May, 2015, 02:43:20 pm »
Wahooo!!   :thumbsup: Fist time the long suffering bathroom scales have started with an 8 for prob....20 years... This is slightly cheating and it was post ride. But then all my weigh ins are post ride anyway, so maybe not. Nice big bottle of French "Maltese Tripple" beer for me tonight as my reward. Been staring at for months, milk is just not the same. Prob go up 2 kg next week, as in working out there, on my own..but I am taking Blodwyn :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5578 on: 13 May, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »

POUR MOI!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5579 on: 15 May, 2015, 07:56:33 am »
Wahooo!!   :thumbsup: Fist time the long suffering bathroom scales have started with an 8 for prob....20 years... This is slightly cheating and it was post ride. But then all my weigh ins are post ride anyway, so maybe not. Nice big bottle of French "Maltese Tripple" beer for me tonight as my reward. Been staring at for months, milk is just not the same. Prob go up 2 kg next week, as in working out there, on my own..but I am taking Blodwyn :)

well done!

I was quite happy when I managed to get into the early 8s - 82 today not sure how long that will last with the weekend coming up!

simonp

« Reply #5580 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:00:26 pm »
Tried one of the 4-point caliper methods. Suggests 12.2% body fat.

« Reply #5581 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:01:56 pm »

did I pinch you this time? After last time i didn't think you would be coming back for MOAR  :P

simonp

« Reply #5582 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:15:36 pm »

did I pinch you this time? After last time i didn't think you would be coming back for MOAR  :P

None of the skin folds was zero this time, which is an improvement.  ;D

simonp

« Reply #5583 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:21:01 pm »
Last night: 78.0kg

This morning: 76.5kg

This evening: 75.0kg

That’s audax numberwang!

velosam

« Reply #5584 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:25:32 pm »

That’s audax numberwang!

So what did you eat and do today?

Chris S

« Reply #5585 on: 27 May, 2015, 09:33:27 pm »

That’s audax numberwang!

It doesn't matter. Which, I think is Simon's point. He's doing things that create a lot of metabolic noise. Like him, my weight is all over the place this week - +/- 2Kg on a whim. That's the fun of a weekend 600km audax.

Daily weighing is nuts. All you see is noise. For trends, weigh monthly. Or quarterly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5586 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:00:53 pm »

That’s audax numberwang!

It doesn't matter. Which, I think is Simon's point. He's doing things that create a lot of metabolic noise. Like him, my weight is all over the place this week - +/- 2Kg on a whim. That's the fun of a weekend 600km audax.

Daily weighing is nuts. All you see is noise. For trends, weigh monthly. Or quarterly.

Or use a tape measure and skinfold callipers.

My hip measurement seems to be the most reliable indicator of fat status.
Waist is useful but varies with food & gas etc.

« Reply #5587 on: 27 May, 2015, 11:42:04 pm »
Weighing monthly doesn't give you enough time to react to trends you don't like. Daily weighing where you ignore spot values and look at the trend would be the best option.

« Reply #5588 on: 28 May, 2015, 10:16:15 pm »
Finally going down again. Phew
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #5589 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:28:06 pm »
Daily weighing does work.
Try to weigh yourself at the same time each day, preferably before breakfast.

Enter the result on a spreadsheet in column B with the date in column A.
Create a simple Line graph and add a Linear Trendline.

Where the trendline points will tell you how you are progressing.

simonp

« Reply #5590 on: 06 June, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
Didn’t look like a loss this week, with 75.3kg on Wednesday, but 74.5kg this morning suggests progress is still being made.

« Reply #5591 on: 10 June, 2015, 07:05:33 am »
Another small loss this week.   but I have missed my first target.   I blame the holiday that we had too much good food.   Still going in the right direction though.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #5592 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:31:27 am »
Not talking about it this week - up 3lbs since Monday morning! Positively, it can't stick in that short time...

velosam

« Reply #5593 on: 10 June, 2015, 01:06:12 pm »
Not talking about it this week - up 3lbs since Monday morning! Positively, it can't stick in that short time...

I know what you mean. I am spending 3 days at a residential course and the food and puds are excellent. I have done a bit of riding but no where enough to offset what I am guessing to be a 2k calorie surplus per day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5594 on: 10 June, 2015, 01:25:33 pm »

Is that post-Audax fluid retention or just bad luck?

It won't stick and is 'noise' anyway.

« Reply #5595 on: 10 June, 2015, 04:23:19 pm »

That’s audax numberwang!

Pretty much my weights.  For most of my adult life to mid 40's I was ~73kg (11.5st)(6'2"), now late 40s I've been up to 79kg.

Recently I've been 'aware' of weight loss, though I have know real idea of over what time period.  So now at 74-75kg, have put myself on a daily weigh as concerned it may be 'significant and unexplained' / 'unintentional'.  At the same time each day, I've pretty much been 74-75kg all week. 

In the whole of 2014 I cycled 2600km (good for me, since 'getting back into cycling' in 2013); now in mid June 2015 I'm already over 2000km (still not done ride over 200).  So perhaps my wt loss though 'unintentional', is not unexplained... but I just seem to err on the side of worrying, for some reason, possibly the GP previously described 'IBS' doesn't help...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5596 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:00:42 am »

Is that post-Audax fluid retention or just bad luck?

It won't stick and is 'noise' anyway.

Bit of a combination really. I did my first, tough, 50 miler since falling off on Sunday afternoon, which undoubtedly led to some fluid retention. Then I went to London and Brum by train on Monday and Tuesday, so did no exercise and spent c.10 hours on the train plus sedentary work and eating. Just a shocking level of noise.

It's gone today though:) 85.4kg is more normal now. General trend still down.

I had a health assessment last week and was actually quite pleased and the doctor surprised to find 'official' falls in weight, body fat (still 16% thought) and cholestrol. Cholestrol profile was also much improved compared to 2 years ago with very low Triglycerides and high HDL.

BP still bounces every time I go near a white coat mind, but is generally fine at home.

Mike

« Reply #5597 on: 11 June, 2015, 08:50:31 am »
That all sounds good news to me Mike.

Despite 2,000+ mile months on the bike, plus I'm also running, and doing gym stuff, and there is a lot of 'quality' stuff in there as it's TT season, I'm still fighting a huge battle with keeping my weight down. I'm doing it, and fluctuating within a kg- I did see my lowest weight again this morning (I'm 8 st 10) but it does involve me being hungry literally the entire time. I feel like I can't stop eating/wanting to eat, and am getting totally pre-occupied with food, so I just don't think my body is wanting to stay here.

I'm faster here, definitely running, and also TTing, so not sure how to deal with this really. I want to stay this weight, but not sure I can handle the constant battle. I have forgotten how amazing pizza/pasta/bread are, I just want to eat them but won't. Not easy, this.

Got a 10k race tonight, but then will be taking it fairly easy tomorrow before a 600k this weekend (I've only ever done one, so this isn't a usual ride for me!) and will have to accept a day of 'overeating'. I might even have my first rest day of the year (tho I'm sure I'll crack!)

Chris S

« Reply #5598 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:01:58 am »
I'm no expert, but with that workload, how can you not be overtraining?

« Reply #5599 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:11:32 am »
I feel physically fine, TT times are faster than ever, running is fast and mojo is fine- so don't feel overtrained at all. Amazed at how little my body is moaning. Not tired really either other than general life.

Just bloody hungry and battling to keep my weight down.